Terry Valler MMA/JKD

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by BÅÑdit, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Yeah pretty good performance - I don't have issue with their grappling though which is how he was dominant. The striking is what I notice in their videos and it's terrible.

2. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I agree MB although I didnt think the grappling in the vids was much good either,the fighter in last vid although he didnt show wrestling qualities(didnt need to) he did show wrestlers ears! which maybe means he has trained elsewhere beore his present JKD Gym,ater all cross training is the norm now isnt it:)

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Go back and read my comments. I haven't and won't say anything negative about Terry or his students.

Him not being "mind blowing" is not a sleight against him, or anyone else. Not everyone can be Bruce.

4. MWAW

MWAW Valued Member

Hello all,

A student of mine sent me a link to this post, just wanted to add my comments.

Terry Valler is a good friend of mine and a peer in the martial arts. Everyone is entitled to their opinion to so I'm not here to argue with or discredit what anyone has said. Terry is an excellent practicioner and instructor, both in terms of his JKD and his MMA. He spent 10 years under Neil McLeod, if you know anything about JKD or MMA then you'll know who Neil is, and Neil rates Terry very highly. Terry is my student in JKD, and likewise I think Terry is at an excellent level.

Contrary to one thing said on here, Terry does produce fighters, one of whom (James Emerson) is currently going for a British title. The videos posted on here are from guys of various levels just doing their best in class, we've all been there, you do the best you can with the level you are at.

If you are interested in attending his class then you will find a great bunch of friendly guys, honest training, and a great instructor. I'd recommend it, and that's just my 2c.

Many thanks

Michael Wright

5. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Watched your lad fight Master Betty and yes he done well for the time he spent training. But it is also a known fact that many top boxing coaches have not boxed. So really it ain't you in their it's all your lad. ;) and too be honest we are talking about two different approaches to martial arts with one being strictly sport and the other not.

What about some clips of YOU teaching. ;) and fighting. But more importantly teaching.

Regards

Pat.

6. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Hmm not got any of me teaching because I haven't really had any reason to film it - got videos of me sparring which ive put up on the members sparring vids thread.

I understand completely what you're saying about the difference re. fighting and coaching. But what you're basically saying is that I had nothing to do with him being in there fighting - that's a load of tosh lol.

7. Pat OMalley

I'm not saying that at all. Boxing coaches have a hell of a lot to do with their fighters.

What I am saying is that its easy to criticise some one elses teaching but if produced good people be it for the ring or people that end up using those skills on the street and they work then they are not a bad instructor are they and what they teach works for people.

Regards

Pat

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  8. Pat OMalley

It's a well known fact that you can get good teachers who can't fight and good fighters who cant teach and it is rare to get good fighters who are also good teachers. And that's the point isn't it?

Regards

Pat

9. Yohan

Ok you can see a stick training clip here. I'm in there from 4:30 on.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLRe1dRbm0"]YouTube - ‪Tabimina Balintawak Huntsville, AL Chapter‬‏[/ame]

I'd give you a video of my open hand stuff, but I just don't have any.

10. february

february Valued Member

I don't think anyone's made judgement on Terry's teaching ability. That's the thing with videos, they're going to come in for criticism no matter what. If anything, individuals should do a better job of the quality control of the material put out there that's representative of them.

I'll caveat my earlier comments with the statement that the guys sparring in those vids were clearly beginners. Bearing that in mind, it's obvious there will be some criticism levelled at them. It's not malicious, simply an honest critique of the material presented.

11. february

february Valued Member

Pat,

Interesting comments on the whole MMA brand thing. I think maybe 5-10 years ago the argument that MMA was just a mix of martial arts would probably have held water. Not so much now as MMA is effectively a brand unto itself and (as it should be) a byword for a mix of martial martial arts that should be effective within the general framework and ruleset of that sport. E.g. If someone claimed to teaching "MMA" and it was just a mix of Karate and Aikido, then I'd call it false advertising.

12. Pat OMalley

False advertising only in respects if you as a prospective student are expecting UFC type training. But for the most part they are selling you exactly what they are saying it is and it is still being used as such.

I don't generally teach sport cage fighting although I have and still do on occasion have guys ask me to train them for the cage and thy fight on shows. Which like I said I don't call what I do MMA because I personally consider MMA as the sport that is conducted in the cage.

But and that's a big but. There are still a lot of people out their that do just bash a few things together and call it MMA and the are not lying they are mixing martial arts together hence they are teaching MMA so really it is not false advertising.

Regards

Pat

13. Pat OMalley

Nice. But then I have always had a healthy respect for Balintawak. Are you teaching in this video?

Regards

Pat

14. february

february Valued Member

Sure - however I'd argue that the people who are doing that are abusing semantics. MMA is a sport unto itself and anything that's taught as MMA should fall into that framework. Sure people could just mash a couple of things together and technically say that it's MMA, but that's like going to a boxing gym where they just teach karate punches, sure they're throwing hands, but it's not boxing.

15. Pat OMalley

I agree with you in part that yes I personally would expect the sport MMA. But like I said its a loose term that can and is used by others. And not its not the same as going to a boxing gym and only getting Karate hands.

Boxing hands are quite specific as are karate hands. Taught separately they are what they are. Join them together and you basically have a mixture of martial arts which is MMA.

Kick Boxing is for the best part MMA as it's a combination of Karate Kicks and boxing hands. They are in effect MMA. As is any system that mixes and matches if it wishes to call it's self that which is one of the other reasons I DON'T use the term myself. Their not false advertising they are giving you what they say they are giving you regardless of semantics.

Regards

Pat

16. Pat OMalley

I personally teach what could be loosely termed as a complete fighting system as I teach all the ranges. Weapons to empty hand fighting. Kicking. Punching. Locking. Throwing. Grappling. Multiple opponents and I could if I wanted to call it MMA because I draw from my knowledge of the various arts I studied in-depth. But I don't.

And if my guys want to test themselves under pressure I can also break it down into its various sporting aspects where they will the train sport specific for what they want to do. And if anything I have more of a right to call what I do MMA as I cover more aspects of fighting than are covered in the cage. But I don't. I choose not to but if I did I would not be false advertising would I ?

Regards

Pat

17. Yohan

No I am the student with the hat on. My coach is Josh Walker.

18. Yohan

Where's my criticism?

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You smell of cabbage and have questionable taste in video games

20. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

Wow 55 replys to a thread about me:)

Regarding the videos. At the time, these guys were only a month or two into their training and they were keen to film their sparring so that they could see what they looked like. So we filmed it and stuck it on YouTube. In hindsight, we should have made the videos private so that only the students could watch them.

The videos were done some time ago and a few are now doing great on the MMA / K1 scene.

Bandit you are very welcome to come down to our place to check it out. But to be honest with you, If you like the stuff Emil does then we are not for you..

Master betty, you are welcome to have your say on our striking, but you have never seen it, and by the way you wrote your post comments, i'm guessing you didn't even look at our site. We train with good boxers, muay thai and savate instructors that are very complimentary on our stand up.

We train and fight in competitions all over the uk and I am happy to say I have a great relationship with all the MMA Promoters I deal with. This is why i call it mma and also people know that name.

I am not going to get into "is it or isn't it jkd?" its a pointless argument that goes around in circles. I teach the concepts of jkd and how it is applied to the cage. But thats just part of it. We have a seperate jkd programme for self defence

I would like to thank Mike Wright, Pat o Malley and Robin French for their kind comments.