Terry Valler MMA/JKD

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by BÅÑdit, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Yeah I gotta agree with fire cobra on this - those top 4 videos are goddamn AWFUL! The last one looks good but doesn't look anything like JKD. IN fact it looks a lot like sanda with a street focus. Good training and better than virtually most JKD places.... but is it *really* JKD? Hell who knows, even the JKD guys can't decide what real JKD is.

2. february

february Valued Member

For sure. I would not want to learn MMA(which it is marketed as) from a gym where that is the sparring standard.

As for the 5th (spanish) vid, that's essentially the Ted Wong take on JKD. It was good and props to them for going full pelt, but there was so much wrong with it technically for my liking that it's not mind blowing. Hands low, stance way too bladed etc. But those are inherent features of TWJKD, so it is what it is.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'm going to an Erik Paulson seminar there in a couple of weeks, don't know if I'll be able to learn anything useful about the club though.

4. Ben Gash CLF

http://www.guildfordjkd.co.uk/new.htm

5. Master Betty

Hmmmm thanks - I stand corrected. However, it doesn't make much difference having seen those videos of the striking now. You wanna learn to strike - go elsewhere.

6. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Your asking where are the JKD techniques? JKD does not have any techniques. Jun Fan may have but JKD is how you train and how you approach your training. Jeez what's so hard to understand about that??????

7. Pat OMalley

And as for MMA? Well that's a loose term I never use anyway because MMA can be anything from fighting in the Octagon to taking Karate Aikido and paper folding bunching it together and hey presto you got MMA.

To be honest most people ( not all ) use that term to just slap a few techniques together from different arts they have not really studied properly because they themselves have no staying power and start their own school being qualified in some obscure nothing and call it MMA. Unfortunetly the same can be said for someso called JKD clubs too ( not all ).

I've heard Terry is a good sound practitioner and I know sometimes video footage does not do people justice and sometimes it shows the truth too so I'm one who would say try him first before making your mind up.

And why does he have to be mind blowing? Why can't he just be good at it. Surely that's not too much to ask?

How many of you are mind blowing? I bet hardly any. How many are simple just good? It's ok to criticise but let's see what you personally can do that is better before chucking stones in glass houses.

Best regards

Pat.

8. Pat OMalley

We can all put up video footage of other people and criticise it but that does not make you better than the guy in the video footage does it?

So if you think you can do it better. Film it and post it here.

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

My videos may be rubish if I posted any Pat but it doesnt change the fact that those vids are rubbish to,its only peoples opinions.:)

10. Pat OMalley

To be honest I never actually watched them properly to me there much as much the same which is why I asked why does it have to be mind blowing and not just ok?

Unfortunetly most of the JKD videos I watch are much as much the same and just ordinary same old same old. It would seem to me that for the most part people have lost the essence of what JKD is all about. Initiative, imaginations and simplicity. Where as most I watch now are just trying to
    Mimic someone else. And if that's what you do and your good at it then fine as far as I'm concerned your an ok JKD instructor which is fine.

Personally I would like to see a bit of umph! in it and a lot of an individuals personality shine through as opposed to trying do it it like * insert JKD instructors name here *.

But that in it's self does not make them a bad instructor.

Best regards.

Pat.

11. Master Betty

I have.

12. Master Betty

If people wanna take that whole approach and be all technical about it then they'd just bloody well train MMA. Unfortunately, there are a lot of JKD, wing chun etc. type guys who, because, in theory, they train for all ranges call it MMA. It's a mismarketing thing. Although they qualify for the term MMA, it's not what people expect when they here MMA. So anyone calling themselves an MMA gym and doing something that doesn't really resemble what sport MMA looks like is simply a big fat fibber.

13. Pat OMalley

I remember years ago I was attending an Inosanto seminar in London and we where doing some knife work. My training partner grabed the blade and proceeded to stab me to bits in the chest.

One of Inosanto's assistants came over ( I won't say who ) and said " you can't do that " I said " why? " " Well because you'll cut your hand " I said " granted he has a cut hand but I'm as dead as a door nail " then he said " but you still can't do it that way " again I said " why?" " well because Inosanto doesn't do it like that " to which I not so politely told him to go forth and multiply.

My point being. Don even try to look like someone else. Do it the way that works for you not the way it's done by others for the sake of looking like everyone else.

Best regards

Pat

14. Pat OMalley

Excellent. Send me the links so I can have a look see.

15. Pat OMalley

Their not actually lying though are they? They have mixed martial arts together to come up with what is technically a mixture of martial arts. MMA. just because it does not resemble the SPORT MMA does not make it not MMA.

I mean I agree with you in theory but it is still technically MMA whether it is what you expect or not. I don't use the term for that very reason.

The worst thing people like UFC etc done was change the term from Vale Tudo to MMA because that is a loose term that anyone can latch on to and no one has a copyright to.

Regards

Pat

16. Pat OMalley

To put it simply.

He said it works best that way.

To which you should reply " what you mean you don't know? "

17. Master Betty

sparring videos thread. search function is your friend. i've also put up a video of my first fighters fight 2 weeks ago on the "my first fighter" thread.

18. Pat OMalley

I'm at work and the phone wont play them for lack of signal. But I will have a look see when I get the chance.

Cheers

Pat

19. Ben Gash CLF

20. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Good dominant perormance as you say SifuBen,and good attitude at the end of the fight,thanks for posting:)