Terry O'Neills Fighting Arts International

Discussion in 'Karate' started by D4T4, Feb 21, 2004.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Hi Koyo, Sad to say, but I think that's one thing in the martial arts that has got tougher than in the old days. :)

But, it's still the right thing to do. :cool:

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I was there when tha martial arts started spreading so I recognised those who talked and those who trained and new the difference .

So I never got sucked into it.

probably wouldn't even START training in much of today's environment.

So many potentially excellent martial artists have been lost because of the BS.

And quite a few muppettes have "risen" because of it.

regards koyo

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I do not wish to sound like old school BUT those issues of Black belt are streets ahead of what most martial arts magasines have become.

GREAT FIND VIMTO.

Regards koto

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Not wishing to derail the thread, or be egotistical, but I think Jissen is a fine example of a decent magazine.

http://www.jissenmag.com/

Unfortunately the nature of its focus means that there is nothing there for people purely interested in the sport or cultural elements of martial arts training. I think Cyberbudo caters reasonably well for the latter, but there is probably a niche market for a magazine that solely focuses on martial arts competitions and fitness and strength coaching.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  5. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Yes they are streets ahead of todays mags,In those days you would read about the history of the style,the philosophy and the training methods,now its mainly about the individual and their ego,sorry but old school rules for me.:)

6. Had a chance to look through a few more black belt magazines.
    Some decent stuff there.
    If you get chance flick through the first issue and last issue available.
    Very interesting to see the difference in illustrations, arts covered, and even quantity/type of adverts.

JWT, I think Jissen is great - and the fact it is free is even better.

7. Just got hold of 3 old copies of FAI.

Very good.

Packed full of info, rather than adverts!

8. Stephanie Walton

Stephanie Walton New Member

I've just come across this forum in my search for some back issues of FAI. My ex-hubby and I had the great fortune and pleasure of training in Applied Karate under Gary Spiers. I am trying to get some back issues no 38 & 59. My ex used to have them, lent them to a friend many years ago and never got them back. Given that 2020 has been such a crap year, I figured I'd try to replace them as a Christmas present from our boys but can't seem to find them anywhere. Can anyone here help or point me in the right direction? Much appreciated, Steph

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award