Terry O'Neill (Shotokan)

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Van Zandt, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I was researching famous kickers from the UK and came across the name Terry O'Neill. From the limited info I've read he was apparently a spectacular kicker. Has anyone had the opportunity to train with him?

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Nobody who's lived, no.

Mitch

3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Moosey, being a KUGBer, might have done. If you know anyone in the KUGB it would be good to ask them.

One story of him is he used to work on the doors, and when trouble started he used to kick people in the head...

This is him:

[​IMG]

Yep, used to be a powerlifter. And has been in a few movies.

4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I've never had the "pleasure" , but everyone i've ever spoke to to confirms his awsomeness.
    Another name you might want to look up is Steve cattle , from what ive heard he may not have been a flash kicker ,but , devastating (this from a KUGB team mate , although second hand).

5. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I never trained with Terry O neil but I have seen him kick and he could kick! Steve Cattle I belive was a good hand man,unfortunately he passed away a good few years ago.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ah, such a shame. I'm sure he's kicking butt wherever he is now :)

7. Mitch

Terry O'Neill and Steve Cattle in action

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPOMPWXY1t4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPOMPWXY1t4[/ame]

KUGB vs JKA

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-dpk_sZ_HM&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-dpk_sZ_HM&feature=related[/ame]

Mitch

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

here's a young o'neill, among others, training with Enoeda sensei:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruXWCdmTyoE&feature=related"]YouTube - Sensei Enoeda "The Tiger" - Rare Footage (1966)[/ame]

9. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Cool videos guys. Thanks. The crowds at our tournaments are fairly similar in size and enthusiasm (note I am being sarcastic). :)

You know if there is a difference between the 'good old days' and today it is not that the technique is any different. Or that the level of contact/etc is any different. It is mostly that the population attracted to karate/traditional arts was different back then (lots of young males).

10. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  11. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

I had the great pleasure of watching the KUGB Nationals in 1979 at Crystal Palace when Terry O'Neill won in the final against the late Steve Cattle. I have never forgotten that match, but along the way, Terry O'Neill displayed some awesome kicking, in particular a hook kick to the temple of...I think named Phil Duval (it was 30 years ago!!!). The guy dropped to the floor and when he stood up, had a lump on his temple like half a boiled egg. AWESOME.

Peter

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  12. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Aaah back in the day when contact in a contact sport wasn't a faux pas :D

13. Terry O'neill is mentioned alot in Dave Hazard's book 'Born Fighter'. There are also some pictures of him. Big guy. He has been in some films incl. League of extraordinary gentlemen.

14. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Yes...the good old days. :)

I also really enjoy watching Terry O'Neill refereeing a tournament. His passion for the art is obvious and on occasions he appears more active than the fighters!!!

15. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I used to write for Terry O Neils Fighting Arts International.He was always a perfect gentleman and sent one of his staff up to Glasgow to interview and train with me.

We arranged to meet but Terry could not manage..he chose to go to Hollywood and hang out with Big Arnie and Mel Gibson instead.:):)

koyo

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I've trained a couple of times with Mr O'Neill. He doesn't kick much any more as I think the years have taken their toll on his leg joints (he walks with a limp too).

He's a very interesting guy to train with as he's much more concerned with making his students aggressive and fearless than with using perfect technique (which is quite different from most shotokan instructors for whom perfect technique is a goal in itself). He's also very knowledgable on what works and what doesn't in a real confrontation. Basically, what he learned in karate got pressure tested while he worked as a bouncer in Liverpool.

I get the impression that he's not keen on the idea of "the syllabus" of karate and takes a much more "whatever works" approach. He's also very keen on advising students to take boxing and judo for a well rounded and aggressive fighting style.

He's also still a very large chap!

Edit: According to his profile on the KUGB website, he limps because he damaged one of his knees in competition in 1982 http://www.kugb.org/profiles/profiles_oneill.html

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  17. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

P.S. Just for teh LOLZ, I found this picture ages ago - it's Mr O'Neill with the governor of California.

Attached Files:

18. Mitch

The Governor? I thought he was posing with you Moosey?

Mitch

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That is Moosey.

Sat in front of Mr O'Neill.

20. Mitch

Hey Moosey, how're you doin'?

Mitch