Terminology

Discussion in 'Aikido Resources' started by samoz, Jul 20, 2005.

1. samoz

samoz New Member

Hey guys, where do you learn all these terms? Is there like a handbook? Because my teacher said there is really no textbook, so I only know like 5 diffrent words . . .

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

What terms?
    Are you even talking about aikido? If you're talking about aikido then your teacher is wrong and that scares me. There are scores of aikido books showing the standard basic techniques that we all learn, and every one of those books has the Japanese terminology. Some of them even have a glossary.

3. Mufty

Mufty New Member

I cant tell much from your profile, but yep there are loads a books on all martial arts all listing the terminology.

So log onto Amazon UK and start spending 'O' and Get a-n-other teacher M8 :)

4. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

There are loads of books on the various styles of Aikido, Traditional Aikido Has ikkyo nikkyo sankyo yonkyo first to fourth form.

Tomiki/Shodokan Aikido describs the movement by name Ikkyo would be Oshi Taoshi ,Nikkyo would be kote mawashi, Sankyo would be tenkai kote hineri, yonkyo would be tekubi Osae.

Why your instructor has led you to beleve that you can't get any written information on aikido worries me.
    I Have included some basic Japanese Terms.
    Ai
    Harmony
    Ai-gamae
    Matching stances.
    Aiki
    Harmony of Spirit
    Aikido
    Way of Harmony of Spirit
    Aikidoka
    Person who practises Aikido
    Aiki-Ken
    Aikido Sword techniques
    Ashi
    Leg or Foot
    Atemi
    Strike
    Atemi-waza
    Striking techniques.

Barai
    Sweep
    Bokken
    Wooden Sword used in Aikido and Kendo training
    Budo
    Martial Ways

Chudan
    Middle
    Chudan-no-kamae
    Basic posture
    Chudan-uke
    Middle block

Dan
    Degree ranking for Black Belt
    Do
    The Way or Path
    Dojo
    Training Hall or Place of the Way
    Dori
    Hold or Grasp

Eri Dori
    Collar held

Furitsuki
    Slashing thrust (Normally with a knife)

Gassho no renshu
    Blocking exercise with the hands joined together.
    Gedan
    Low
    Gedan-no-kamae
    Low posture
    Gedan-uke
    Low block
    Gi
    Aikidogi traditional clothing worn when training
    Go
    Five
    Go-no-sen
    Attacking after you have been attacked.
    Gyaku
    Opposite / Reverse
    Gyaku-gamae
    Opposite stances.

Hachi
    Eight
    Hantai
    Change
    Hara
    A point in the lower abdomen.
    Hasso
    High sword posture
    Hidari
    Left
    Hidari-gamae
    Left stance with the left foot forward.
    Hiji
    Elbow
    Hiji waza
    Elbow techniques
    Hikitate-geiko
    Middle level of competition.
    Hyaku
    One Hundred

Iai-do
    Art of Sword Drawing
    Ichi
    One
    Idoryoku
    locomotive power; the power of movement.

Irimi
    Entering principle
    Irimi-nage
    Entering throw

Jo
    Short staff about 4' long
    Jodan
    High
    Jodan-no-kamae
    High posture
    Jodan-uke
    High block
    Jujitsu
    Ancient Japanese martial art
    Ju-nana-hon waza
    17 basic techniques of Tomiki Aikido.
    Jushin
    Balance / Center of gravity
    Jyu
    Ten
    Jyu-Ichi
    Eleven
    Jyu-Ni
    Twelve and so on

Kakari-geiko
    Lowest level of competition.
    Kamae
    Stance / Posture
    Kansetsu
    Joints
    Kansetsu-waza
    Joint techniques.
    Kata
    Pre-arranged techniques, Form or Shoulder
    Kata-Dori-Men-Uchi
    Strike to the head while holding the shoulder
    Kata-Dori
    Shoulder held
    Katate
    Single hand
    Katate-Dori
    One hand held
    Keiko-gi
    Kit/Uniform
    Ken
    Sword
    Kendo
    The way of the Sword
    Ki
    Spirit or Energy
    Kime-waza
    Final locking technique
    Kiritsu
    Stand to attention
    Kissaki
    Point or Tip of the Sword
    Kohai
    Junior Student
    Kokyu
    Blending - Fitting in was a movement
    Kokyu-Dosa
    Breath Exercise
    Kokyu-Nage
    Breath Throw
    Koryu-no-kata
    Pre-arranged traditional techniques in kata form
    Koshi
    Hips or lower back
    Koshi-Nage
    Hip Throw
    Kotai
    Switch/Change
    Kote
    Wrist also called Tekubi
    Kote-Gaeshi
    Outer wrist throw - Wrist twist
    Ku
    Nine
    Kyu
    Ranking for belts below black belt.
    Kuzushi
    Break balance.
    Kyudo
    Japanese Archery

Mae
    Forward, front.
    Ma-ai
    Correct distance
    Marui
    Circular / Round
    Men
    Sword cut to the center of the head.
    Me-tsuke
    Eye contact, one focuses on the opponent's eyes.
    Migi
    Right
    Migi-gamae
    Right posture with the right foot forward.
    Mochi
    Grasp or hold with hands
    Morote Dori
    One hand held by two hands
    Mu-gamae
    Without stance.
    Mushin
    Without emotion
    Mune
    Chest

Nage
    Throw / Technique
    Nana-hon nage kuzushi
    Kuzushi training exercise comprised of seven throws.
    Ni
    Two
    Ni-Jyu-Ichi
    Twenty one
    Ni-Jyu-Ni
    Twenty two and so on.

Obi
    Belt worn over the Gi.
    Omote
    Front
    O-Sensei
    Great Teacher (Reference to the Founder)
    Otoshi
    Drop

Randori
    Freeplay
    Randori-no-Kata
    Basic 17 techniques in the Tomiki system of Aikido
    Rei
    Bow
    Ritsu-rei
    Standing Bow
    Rokku
    Six
    Ryo-Kata-Dori
    Both shoulders held
    Ryote-Dori
    Both hands held

San
    Three
    Seichu-Sen
    Center line of one's body
    Seiza
    Sitting Properly
    Sempai
    Senior Student
    Sen
    Initiating an attack slightly before your opponent
    Sensei
    Teacher
    Sensei-ni-rei
    Bow to the teacher
    Sen-sen-no-sen
    Sensing and preparing for your opponent's attack.
    Shi
    Four
    Shiai
    Tournament, Competition
    Shichi
    Seven
    Shichihon-no-kuzushi
    Balance breaking
    Shihan
    A master teacher/ teacher of teachers.
    Shiho-nage
    Four Directional Throw
    Shikko
    Knee walking
    Shime
    Lock
    Shinkokyu
    Deep breathing exercise at the end of practice.
    ****e
    Defender also called Tori
    Shizentai
    Natural standing position.
    Shomen
    Front also called Omote
    Shomen ni rei
    Bow to the front
    Shomen-Uchi
    Strike to top of the head
    Shotei-awase
    Tension exercise
    Sode
    Sleeve
    Suwari-waza
    Sitting Techniques from Seiza position

Tachi-waza
    Standing techniques.
    Tai-sabaki
    Evasion of an attack by avoidance.
    Taiso
    Warm-up calisthenics.
    Tandokuo-undo
    Foot and hand movements exercises
    Tanto
    Knife
    Te
    Hand
    Tegatana
    Hand blade
    Tegatana-awase
    Hand blade exercise.
    Tekubi
    Wrist also know as Kote
    Tekubi waza
    Wrist techniques.
    Tenkan
    Absorption principle
    Tentai
    Hip-turn
    Tori
    The defender / Person doing the technique.
    Tsugi
    Thrust
    Tsugi-ashi
    Sliding feet

Uchi
    Hand strike
    Uke
    Attacker / Person being thrown
    Ukemi
    Break falls
    Uki-waza
    Floating or timing techniques.
    Ura
    Back
    Uraken
    Back fist
    Unsoku
    Foot movements (Avoidance) exercises
    Ushiro
    Backward, behind.

Waza
    Technique
    Waki-gamae
    Low Sword posture

Yoi
    Prepare
    Yoko
    Side
    Yokomen
    Temple area of the face
    Yokomen-uchi
    Side strike to the opponent¹s temple.

Zanshin
    Awareness
    Za-rei
    Sitting bow

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  5. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Well I think that's about covered it He He :)

6. samoz

samoz New Member

ok, my mistake . . . my school does teach terminology, they were just holding off for a while so i wouldn't freak out over vocab & so I could get used to basic stuff . . .

now I know some words & technique names . . .

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Ok I thought the list above was very helpful so I made this thread a sticky. Some of the termanology changes somewhat depending on style. So if your posting something it might be a good idea to tell us which style of Aikido it comes from.

8. bunkeye

bunkeye New Member

Just to add on to the terminology:

More often than not, all tecniques in aikido starts with the types of attack, whether it is katate tori (katate mochi in Yoshinkan) followed by the defensive technique such as shiho-nage then followed by the inside or outside gate, omote, ura (ichi, ni in Yoshinkan). In some techniques, the stance will be mentioned first, such as ai hanmi, gyaku hanmi, suwari etc. Example include:

Ain hanmi katate dori shiho nage omote or ai hanmi katate mochi shiho nage ichi depending on which version of Aikido you are practising.

Although the terms look different, the basics of the terms remain. It will not be difficult to remember once you are used to them.

9. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

I'd like to clarify the 'stance' aspect.

Ai-hanmi and Gyaku-hanmi are not "stances" adopted by Tori who, actually takes up either Migi or Hadira hanmi, it is in fact uke which determines either Ai-hanmi or Gyaku-hanmi, and only when this is in relation to an arresting movement on either the left or right wrist of tori.

Essentially Ai or Gyaku-hanmi only exist when two people are in connection with each other.

Regards

10. The Damned

The Damned New Member

err......can you expand on that please Dave. Even though i'm not sure i fully understand what you mean, your 'fact' imho has to be 'opinion', or 'experience', cos in our system it is tori who adopts posture first, almost in a way of enticing uke to commit to a certain attack. This is pobably more of an advanced method of thinking as it employs the concepts of sensen no sen, go no sen etc, which to be honest i don't think many aikidoka actually realise this and just do as they're told. Indeed it took me probably 6-7 years to start to undertsand this, and am still struggling with it, lol.
    But to me, having studied other arts and experiencing similar concepts, it makes great sense (albeit not easy to grasp).
    Is this something any of you experienced guys keep in mind at all?
    This is probably in the wrong thread, but i'd be mighty interested to hear of your thoughts (maybe a mod can split and start a new thread for us).

Dave, can you still explain to me what you meant by your quote. i aint disagreeing with ya, i just don't get what you mean by arresting movement.

Cheers

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

If someone can explain what sensen no sen means i don't see a need for a split. Sorry we don't have a lot of Japanese termanology where I train. Although my teachers trying to bring it back.

In my experience tori also dictates posture in training at least until he/she reaches a more advanced level where tori should be able to deal with an attack regardless of posture. From a training perspective tori is inviting uke to provide a particular attack so that tori may practice a specific range of techniques. Other than that it is a strategic move. Tori dictates his/her own posture to give uke a narrower range of targets.

12. Dave Humm

Well.. Yes I do see what you’re saying however, if you are by yourself, how do you make Ai-hanmi or Gyaku-hanmi posture ?

You either adopt migi or hadira hanmi and it is the person attacking you (for what ever reason or opening they see) which determines the 'postures between you'

If it they attempt to arrest your wrist when you are in left posture (and they adopt left posture as they do so) this is Ai-hanmi. (and visa versa of course) if you are again in left posture and they arrest your wrist in RIGHT posture, this is Gyaku-hanmi (and visa versa of course)

Lets look at what Ai-hanmi and Gyaku-hanmi means bearing in mind that with correct ma-ai uke will need to take 'at least' one step forward to achieve his/her intention (to grab a wrist)

"Ai" in this context means to be "mutual" IE MUTUAL STANCE you both have the same leading leg forward

"Gyaku" in this context means to be "reversed" IE REVERSED STANCE you both have opposite leading legs

So, when you face off against uke, you can't essentially make either Ai-hanmi or Gyaku-hanmi (Yes you can encourage uke to take either of course) but your posture will either be migi or hadira hanmi.

Ai-hanmi and Gyaku-hanmi only describe the contextual nature of two people's stances when in connection with each other. It is impossible to make either of these two postures when standing by one's self or, when not in contact with another person.

Regarding "arresting" relating to the wrist.

Why does Katate dori exist ? Essentially (and to simplify) it was born from the need to restrict the ability of a sword or knife user from easily drawing those weapons from the belt and using them against you.

This was partly acheived by grasping (arresting) the wrist (normally the right) which would make effective drawing of the sword or knife that much harder however; tenkan overcomes this arresting.

When I teach Kihon Dosa I explain the reasons why we do things in a particular way, why wrist grabs exist for instance. This way students understand why they train in this manor before looking at different applications. These methods of training represent both a continuation of a tradition and, a basis of training (very basic) where two people make contact with each other.

Regards

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  13. The Damned

The Damned New Member

Yeah thats the way we've always trained, but now that Dave has explained what he meant and thus 'reminded' me of the definition, which to be honest, we take for granted and tend to let the meaning become lost on us its clearer.....and obvious really.

Anyways, a couple of concepts explained:
    SEN NO SEN
    This is the timing necessary to take the combative initiative away from an opponent who has begun an attack but before he has completed his action against you.
    SEN SEN NO SEN
    This is the timing to take the initiative before the opponent moves but at a point he has mentally committed to a specific action. This increases the chance that the enemy’s mind will be fushin or frozen in his action.
    GO NO SEN
    This timing takes advantage of a suki or weak point perceived in the opponent’s attack whilst he is carrying out that attack. In order to spot this your mind needs to be fudoshin or free and uncommitted.

This is possibly better understood through the use of the sword (i study iaido and kendo and it makes sense), but i'm sure you can see its meaning when applied to aikido as well.

It can mean a lot more during, say, randori; your posture and action/inaction can determine the outcome of the attack if you employ the above concepts. We were always told that during randori approach the uke you want to receive from first. To me this can put uke in a fushin (frozen mind) state and reveal his suki (weak points), this could be 'sen sen no sen'.
    just your kigurai (demeanor) can offset uke from his intended attack.

our style of aikido is 'mushinkan' and it focuses on these type of concepts, attempting to promote an empty or subconsicous mind.....ish!

14. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

I have tried to explain in an Aikido context, although I am not sure if all these principle are used in the more traditional styles.

Sen No Sen both Uke and tori meet but uke does not attack so Tori takes the initiative. A per Tomiki Aikido Randori no Kata. Sen No Sen can also be used to great effect when practising Toshu Hikitategeiko.

Go No Sen Uke attacks Tori, Tori evades and applies technique.

Sen Sen No Sen The ulitimate art of timing when Tori attacks during the split second that Uke has decided mentally to attack but the body has not started. used in Aikido Tanto Hikitategeiko and competitions.

As The Dammed stated these are priciples used in Kendo.

This is related to Tomiki/Shodokan Aikido as was the terminology list I posted.

Shaun Hoddy

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Ah right I see. I understand. It's just all the Japanese that confuses me. What you're talking about here is quite a large part of what we mean by Ki in Ki Aikido.

16. bunkeye

bunkeye New Member

Interesting discussion thus far..

I think the confusion stem from the actual Japanese meaning especially the hidden meaning. This is added from the fact that each school has its own definition of the term of each technique, albeit the basis of each technique is similar.

I suppose we non-Japanese speaking will have to learn step by step. Keep this discussion up,..the more terms and concept we learn the better we are. As for myself, when I first started reading about Aikido, I was confused between Tori, stuff and Nage i.e. the person receiving the technique as different schools define it. I suppose it will take time to figure out what the actual meaning translated from Japanese is. Sometimes I wonder, perhaps it may be because of different dialect in certain region in Japan which gives rise to the meaning of each technique.

Again my 2 cents/pence/yen worth

Edit: Please don't swear. It's a breach of the rules. MAP Terms Of Service

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2005
  17. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Within my style of Aikido (Tomiki) we use the terms Tori & Uke, maybe this is because Kenji Tomiki when forming the various kata into a logical curriculum based these on the principles of Judo and used the same names.

I think that Tomiki/Shodokan style is unique in having set kata at all levels of practise. Although I am not sure on this as there are many styles out there and I have not been exposed to them all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2005
  18. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

19. Dave Humm

Some corrections from within the link posted above

"Ukemi The art of falling without injury. It is said that one's ability to throw is only as good as one's ability to fall."

Ukemi literally means "to receive" the act of making a breakfall as a result of technique is only a very small part of what ukemi actually is. The ability to throw is preceded by one's ability to fall however, ukemi as a skill has as much to do about attitude toward one's training partner and a desire to help that person develop, as it has with the physical falling to the mat.

Tai-sabaki Body movement. Body movement in Aikido should be free flowing, natural, and prudent.

Tai-sabaki is in fact one's management of posture. Whilst it is commonly associated with the means of turning as a movement, one should be more concerned with the quality of posture during the turn rather than, just turning.

Shihan Exemplary teacher - A title used for the highest-ranking teachers. Usually 6th dan and above - but not exactly a function of rank.

Shihan is a title awarded by the Aikikai, just because one may reach the rank of 6th dan and above, does not automatically entitle one to "use" the term "Shihan" Indeed Shihan means teacher.

Sensei Teacher. One who gives instruction. More importantly, one who leads the way.

Sensei literally means "Born before" and has no direct relationship to being a teacher of anything. When it is used in the context of martial arts instruction (or indeed any subject) we are acknowledging the person providing the instruction has something to offer us, the use of the word does not imply expertise.

Doshu Grandmaster. Following the traditional Japanese custom, the position of Doshu has been made hereditary.

Doshu does not mean "Grandmaster" it is literally translated as "Keeper of the way"

Hamni The triangular stance. This position is meant to be relaxed, comfortable, and natural, and should in no way look or feel artificial or stiff. From the correct hamni position, one can move readily in any direction.

"Hamni" is an obvious typo. The correct term is "Hanmi"

Regards

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005