Terminology Help

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSN_Princess, Nov 30, 2010.

1. KSN_Princess

KSN_Princess Kuk Sool Won Princess

Hi EveryOne,
    What is the correct spelling for the term son su luka - spreading of the figures or hand that is used in sohn mohk soo techniques?

thanks

2. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I believe the correct way is son-sal-ligi (손살리기).

When I entered this into the Google translator, it gave me "hand restoration" which is fairly close to the translation of "live hands" that I've been told is the meaning of the term. ;)

EDIT:
    FWIW, Babelfish gave me "the hand saving" but the confusion most likely lies in the fact that salligi (살리기) means to restore or infuse with life, while there's no problem translating son (손) which, of course, means hand(s).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  3. elephruit

elephruit Wocka wocka!

I've always thought of it as Sohn Sahl Li Ki. Of course, I don't know Korean besides a couple greetings and martial arts terms, so you seem like you would know loads more about it than me. :bow1:

4. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

This spelling would coincide with many examples of the non-standard romanization method that WKSA used for most of its existence. That's why I included the hangeul in my post, to eliminate any confusion by using the RRoK.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  5. elephruit

elephruit Wocka wocka!

Interesting, because I've never been affiliated with KSW! :cool:

6. elephruit

elephruit Wocka wocka!

Wait, what do you mean "most of it's existence"? Are you implying that the WKSA is dead? Why wasn't I told about this?

7. AnxietyCoachJoh

AnxietyCoachJoh Valued Member

I agree to this post

believe the correct way is son-sal-ligi (손살리기).

go to google.com see it your self
    :cool:

EDIT:
    FWIW, Babelfish gave me "the hand saving" but the confusion most likely lies in the fact that salligi (살리기) means to restore or infuse with life, while there's no problem translating son (손) which, of course, means hand(s).

"When I learn, I am humbled and when I teach, I am honored." - KJN Rich

"It's good policy to practice for all eventualities." - Ollie Batts