Teri Tom Is An Idiot!

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by hulkout, Oct 22, 2009.

1. 1fightforright2

1fightforright2 Valued Member

if you bend at the waist you could possibly get kneed or kicked in the face or countered in some way.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I would get a single person's viewpoint on their own experience of that country and would then have to try and contextualise it for myself. This would give me an exceedingly limited, theory based knowledge that would be utterly inferior to detailed first hand practical experience.

Wouldn't be as much fun either :)

Mitch

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ask someone from Boston what the USA is like...then ask someone from South Central

Remember the tale Bruce used to tell of the blind men and the elephant? That's what you get here

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And what about bending the knees makes you immune to these?
    Don't get me wrong, a good shot is a level change rather than bending at the waist but it's not like you can magically shrug off knees by doing that.
    And again...I'm not saying timing a good knee on a shooting in fighter is easy either.
    But a well timed knee can stop a knee bedn shoot as well as a waist bend shoot.

5. 1fightforright2

obviously every individual is different but do not forget your only grasping just enough to give you an idea.

6. 1fightforright2

I have never heard of the blind men and the elephant but tell me anyway.

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Why do you keep gibbering on about Bruce Lee?

My criticism has been aimed at your understanding.

Yet you haven't understood the arts you and I have been discussing, I've pointed out where and why. All you do in response is regurgitate things you have read.

Why not actually address my points directly and in relation to your experience and understanding.

At the moment all you are doing is using his teachings as a crutch to try and prop up your own ignorance.

More repetition from a book.

None of it addresses your lack of understanding in the arts you and I have discussed.

I won't respond directly to the other quotes as you are just parroting text.

Again none of this addresses the points I have raised.

I have explained why there would be problems yet you have consistently ignored the points I have highlighted.

You seem to have little to no understanding of your own and just parrot the words of others.

8. Hannibal

9. Dean Winchester

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you touch your knee to the ground, you have already commit yourself. In case you miss your opponent's leg, it will be harder for you to get back up fast enough. You will put yourself in vulnerable situation. If your opponent pulls/presses the back of your neck, your face may have to kiss some dirt. This is called "lead someone into the emptiness".

It's not whether you bend your waist or knees, it's whether you have controlled your opponent's leading leg or not. To prevent your opponent's knee or kick, all you need to do is before you shoot at his leg, you use your leading leg to "jam" his leading leg. On one hand, since your leg touch his leg, you know exactly where his leg is. On the other hand, if you can use your foot to hook behind his ankle, it will be slower for him to pull his leg back. It may sound like an extra step but since you can reduce your risk to the minimum, it's much safer to do so.

11. Hannibal

*self edited...too naughty for ToS*

12. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

But funny nevertheless!

13. 1fightforright2

I do not need to explain a thing and my understanding in the concept is higher that yours. Jujistu is not and umbrella of different arts. it dose come from the same family as judo and akido etc but if was an umbrella of things why is there so many different names and arts then if it all comes under jujitsu?

14. Hannibal

Ahh...you saw it before I edited it then :evil:

15. Dean Winchester

Yawara, koppo, kumiuchi, yoroi kumiuchi, hade, kogusoku, koshi no mawari.

These are all names used in various ryu-ha to classify the skills that would fall under the the term "Jujutsu". Each one can signify certain aspects about the period of development or approach used within the skill set.

That is just looking at the old systems. Now if you want to look at all the gendai styles then you have another range of styles which again will have various approaches to the skills and "combat".

You have looked at one style for a very short time, a few classes, and yet you think you have a grasp on how "Jujutsu" strikes or what is done.

Now if you had turned around and pointed out the differences you found in combative systems pre and post 1868, the differences found between the waza of rural and urban old school systems or katchu and suhada bujutsu then you may have been on to something.

However what you did was not much more than go "jujutsu punches with two knuckles and they have a breaking mindset". Hmm yeah ok.

So with your higher understanding would you please elaborate on your understanding of jujutsu as a whole, why you feel that a few lessons in one singular style prepares you to "analyse" the whole host of systems out there that fall under the same banner?

It is an umbrella term, for want of a better word. It is used to show a relationship between certain skills however that doesn't mean you just have jujutsu, it doesn't make it a singular entity anymore than "plane" means there is only one type of fixed winged aircraft.

ps you haven't shown your understand to be particularly high. So far you've got stuff wrong or just copied and pasted text.

16. Dean Winchester

Just a few old school systems that contain "Jujutsu" waza.

Hontai Yoshin-ryu
    Kashima Shin-ryū
    Kitō-ryū
    Kukishin-ryū
    Kyushin Ryu
    Sekiguchi Shinshin-ryu
    Sosuishi-ryu
    Takenouchi-ryu
    Tatsumi-ryu
    Tenjin Shinyo-ryu
    Yagyu Shingan Ryu
    Yoshin Ryu

All one style?

Each one will have its own tactics, philosophy and outlook. You could well find that the waza can be rather different too depending on the context of their use.

Power generation might be another difference. You mentioned punching so how did the style you looked at generate power?
    I'd put money on that if it was a modern system you would see differences when compared to some of the older ones.

So with all of this in mind can you honestly say you have analysed "jujutsu" and been able to absorb what is useful?

I haven't even gone over again the teaching methodology which tends to prevent the uninitiated curious observer from getting much of the essence of a school.

Now that is one part of the styles that fall into this group, what about all the gendai systems that range from self defence orientated to competition based?

17. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

You're reaching. Fumio Demura taught Bruce Lee the nunchuks(well according to him anyway) ;)though you'd think if a country had three-sectional staffs, they'd know how to make two. It is a moot point, as his first art was tai chi so if you really want to pimp your JKD, you must become a Taoist and grow out your hair.

18. Dean Winchester

I can hear the googling now.. :eek:

19. Dean Winchester

My rather long and laboured point 1fightforright2 is that you seem to think that you have it all sussed. You talk of JKD this and that but when up against people offering something contrary you have a hissy and can't deal with it.

I've taken one very small part of your "research" and, I hope, have illustrated where and why your thoughts are flawed.

Now as you take the same attitude to everything, it seems, do you think you may have made mistakes elsewhere?

20. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

To be honest I don't think I would have much trouble countering your shot even if you bend at the knees,
    Heck, I don't even think you would get a shot off.

I just don't get a good feel that you understand how to set up shots or hand fighting or movement or any of the processes involved in even getting a shot off. But you know to bend at the knees.