Teri Tom Is An Idiot!

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by hulkout, Oct 22, 2009.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I saw this woman on the SpikeTv Bruce Lee documentary, she seemed a little unbalanced.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I shall say it again for you.

Traditional Jujutsu is not one style, all you have done is have some small involvement with a small sample of the systems that come under the Jujutsu banner.

Your previous comments have shown how limited your understanding is. Now if your understanding is that limited then how can you know that you have absorbed what is useful etc?

As for the "not as good as" comments well not as good as for what? You are taking about different paradigms or models. Different answers to slightly different questions.

Also the fact that you don't grasp what the terminology you are using entails is making you come unstuck. BJJ is pretty specific, yes there's some variation but overall it relates to a specific focus. Now TJJ could mean anything from koryu to mish mash systems that aren't much more than Judo, Aikido and karate thrown together.

You don't know what it is you looked at. If it was a glimpse at the old stuff then the way they function would inhibit your ability to get a significant insight into them in a couple of sessions. If it was a more modern system then all you have done is look at one out of many, allowing you a quick glimpse at one approach to training. If it was a modern system then there is a high chance you looked at something that is actually more Jujutsu based than being traditional Jujutsu, so there again your insight into things would be limited.

Your "research" appears to be somewhat limited in its scope.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It was a great holiday years ago. It was also brilliant for weight loss; salmonella and dyssentry made the lbs just melt away :D

Mitch

4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

So , 1fight , how much actual training have you done ?
    What do you consider your base , and how much training have you had in that ?

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Isn't JKD supposed to be somewhat free form martial arts that keeps movement and technique simple and uncomplicated.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That's the 101 version yes!

However the overarching principle is does it WORK - so I can use a more complex motion should it be approparite for the circumstances.

Often the maxim "its not the daily increase, its the daily decrease" is thrown about. Many take this to mean have fewer techniques. Whilst a small but functional toolkit approach has merit, the actual meaning is hack away the inessential STEPS or SEQUENCES in any given move until it is at peak effiency

JKD these days is far less revolutionary or revelatory than it was back in the day...many people follow a JKD paradigm because it makes sense not because they train in JKD

7. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

What type of take down(s) did you learn? There are Judo throws ( a whole bunch of them), there are wrestling takedowns and throws (a whole bunch of them) and BJJ even has some variations that are pretty much theirs.

So which take down were you taught properly? I lean towards single leg take downs my self also when do Gi I have a couple of sacrifice throws I like. I also like the snap down and the Russian 2 on 1 when clinching.

Have to admit I'm not as good as I used to be since I stopped training due to age and arthritis.

Can't say my takedowns are particularly good but then I only have 6 years of intramural and high school wrestling experience and about 5 years of BJJ.

Please explain your understanding of "proper" takedowns.

8. Hannibal

Ever get the feeling that the phrase 'pearls before swine' seems appropriate...?

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

For me if you are training in an art, but cross training elsewhere, or looking outside of the box and applying techniques or principles from other arts, then you are effectively doing JKD as Bruce would have described it.

There are of course certified JKD Instructors and classes, but sometimes I think many outside of these classes are doing more JKD than the guys in them. As can be seen by reading through this thread.

10. Hannibal

It never ceases to amaze me how many can claim to be practicing the mans art whilst simultaneously going against every single thing he advocated or stood for

11. Hannibal

Does anyone else remember AmericanMMA and his sockpuppet account? Same thing again!

Ahh...good times!

12. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Wow, I just scrolled down this page and the avatars for Hannibal and Simon looked like they were have a stick fight. It did not go well for Simon.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Isn't this EXACTLY the kind of thinking that Bruce Lee formulated JKD in order to counter?
    That smacks of the old grandmaster/student type of classical mess which meant people could get way with teaching crap for years.

Not that I don't agree that Dan Inosanto IS awesome and has forgotton more about martial arts than I could ever learn.
    But even though I've never met Mr Inosanto I'm sure he'd be amongst the first to also say there's no place for such hero worship in JKD.

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Always the bridesmaid. :(

15. 1fightforright2

1fightforright2 Valued Member

nice!!

What are the customs there?

Tell me more about the political issues in this country if any

What is there economy like?

is it easy to find a job there?

what is the history of this country?

what are the crime statistics ?

What is the culture of this country?

What is the atmosphere like?

16. 1fightforright2

single leged and double legged take downs. alot of people bend at the waist, you should bend at the knees. your leading knee should touch the ground.

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

No idea, but the Inca ruins are cool and guinea pig tastes a bit like chicken :D

Mitch

18. 1fightforright2

needed to change for copyright reasons

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  19. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Not necessarily, banging your knee into concrete is not a smart thing to do. Besides if you are going against a non-grappler then a quick bend at the waist, hard step forward and wrap the arms, drop your hips, pick them up and slam them works fine also.

20. 1fightforright2

have you ever thought of asking someone from that country who can speak english these questions? I bet you would grasp the essence of the country by asking these qusetions.