Teri Tom Is An Idiot!

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by hulkout, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Can you give a list of levels for those who don't train in your system(s)?

2. 1fightforright2

1fightforright2 Valued Member

I cannot remember it was a long time ago.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

So listing it as your experience was a little pointless then.

What did you take from your time in those systems?

4. 1fightforright2

where have I ever said Guro Inosanto is wrong. Guro Inosanto is never wrong, he has so much knowledge in arts. He has inspired me in more ways than one. and I never said that Sijo is wrong I would not dare.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Dan is to be respected, that much should be clear to anyone who has seen him move, or give a demonstration, but you should ask questions and be questioning.

I trained with Grand Master Danny Guba last year and he said, "don't respect me too much, otherwise you won't ask questions".

I've never met him, but I bet you'd find Dan Inosanto as humble and open.

6. Dean Winchester

Ahem.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

8. 1fightforright2

I always ask for the basics of any art that I learn which does not take me long since we all have 2 arms and 2 legs. but I feel that you can capture the Essence of the art by analyzing the basics it does not take long to master the basics. this is the beauty of it all you have the freedom to analyse any art. and absorb as little or as lot or none.

what I have analysed from each color of paint:

from muay thai I have learned that they specialize in there kicks, knees and elbows. there clinch is dangerous. however there groin and center line is exposed left open. but I have been told by my friend that they do this deliberateness to draw you in. have absorbed the way they elbow and knee which is part of the Jun fan system anyway

from jujitsu they specialize in grappling. they punch with the two front knuckles I felt there stand up was not all that. but again my attributes mentally and physically are not the same as yours. (my truth is not your truth) jujitsu practitioners have the mentality to break, and not restrain.

from MMA I have learned that the basic structure is made up of kickboxing, BJJ, boxing. but this depends on instructor. this obviously covers all ranges of combat. I have absorbed the take down and ground and pound from them.
    there are people especially on the internet that do not know how to do a proper take down. fortunately for me I was taught properly.

form the Inosanto kali method is an all round system that deals with long, short trapping and (domog) grappling range. it is mainly a weapons art but like I said before once you learn the stick you learn the knife and empty hands. have absorbed the guntins, hand and nerve destruction even though I would like to become a certified instructor in this method. One of the good ones!

from boxing specialize in the hands only punching range. nothing to absorb as most of what I had learnt I learnt in Jun fan.

from Jun fan/JKD in my opinion gives a martial artist a solid foundation which is simple effective and fluid not static and rigid like most classical arts. Was inspired by the JKD philosophy to explore other arts. It teaches a student the concepts of timing, rhythm, distance, and the 5 ways of attack. It teaches you good trapping range because of the wing chun element, blocking and hitting at the same time. which is the nucleus. Absorbed the principles striking and blocking but saying this I felt that the wing chun element does not work for my body. so am changing my basis to krav maga basis. however still want to become instructor in this method of martial arts because I would like to pass on Bruce Lees teachings. He has taught me to analyse, keep an open mind, and explore. It has taught me that every style has a weakness.

from kung fu (not sure of what type of kung fu it was) specialized in the stand up fighting and sensitivity, but have read that there is also ground techniques as well. did not like the way they trained very classical we punched the air most of the time. What I liked about kung fu was the workout it was intense. Absorbed the fingertip exercises form them to develop forearms. the sensitivity drill differs from the wing chun sensitivity it was interesting.

from wing chun specializes in trapping range. has taught me the importance of structure in the limbs and to have attention to detail and be relaxed. like I said before it is part of the Jun fan system. find that it flows into the hubud lubud drill very well.

from aikido specializes in stand up and using the opponents energy against them.did not appeal to me did not go to any more classes they use locks to control rather than break. from what resurch tells me comes from jujutsu. Have been told by Guro Inosanto that there meditations are good have yet to research.

from Krav maga have learn that the principles are same as JKD however techniques are done slightly differently because of different structure of the style. specialize in preparing for a sudden attack there drills are superb. have absorbed the wrist lock and 360 defense, am still analyzing.

from ninjitsu they specialize in stealth but was not taught this when I when to the lesson was taught to punch and how to deal with punches using the kemi. did not absorb and did not like what I was been shown but you my like it. again my truth is not your truth.

BJJ specialize in grappling however feel that the grappling in BJJ supasses traditional JJ. I feel it was more detailed. have not managed to grasp the principles of this art, but have no interest in doing so. Felt that it was not for me.

I will master Krav Maga, Jun fan/JKD and Inosanto kali.

9. 1fightforright2

Totally agree with you 100 percent.

10. Dean Winchester

Many traditional JMA, by traditional I mean the really old stuff, disemminate their knowledge in a certain way. It's a layered approach with new knowledge or concepts being disclosed as the student progresses.

A few sessions won't allow this process to occur, you won't absorbed much in that time and you probably won't be shown much. Yes basics are taught and of course they are important but often certain meanings are hidden or changed.

This is why I asked which style you studied, I'm going to guess there's a good chance that it was probably a hybridised system of Jujutsu which had elements pulled from a number of sources. Jujutsu is not one art it is many, you've had a very small glimpse of a very small sample of those systems and have written them all off, see a problem?

This brings me to my next point.

Jujutsu is not one system if anything it is an umbrella term used to cover a wide and diverse range of systems from classical systems of combat to modern competition based ones.

Your statements above show a rather shallow appreciation of the diversity of not only those systems but also any one you might choose to pick from that group.

Again this will differ depending on the organisation you trained with. The three big ones have different approaches not to mention all the hookey systems out there. Do you know how legit the school was that you attended?

Now that's just a few problems I see personally with what you have said and I'd imagine there a more with the other arts you listed.

Your approach, IMO, is flawed.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  11. 1fightforright2

Bruce lee read upon and exchanged moves and techniques with many arts. He would go to the second highest student and would exchange moves. that is how he explored so your telling me that what Bruce Lee did is flawed?

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Dude, this is Wiki descriptions, not personal knowledge of any of these arts.

Mitch

13. Dean Winchester

Did you read my post?

Your approach is flawed, please see the examples I outlined as to why I think this.

ps you ain't Bruce Lee.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  14. Hannibal

Also you are most certainly NOT Bruce Lee

15. 1fightforright2

I KNOW THAT I AM NOT BRUCE LEE I AM MYSELF !!! but I am not confined to one way I explore if I like it I keep at it simple. I will not listen to any more.

16. Dean Winchester

Are you really doing the online version of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "na na na na"?

Grow up!

A few criticisms have been levelled at you and you act like a toddler.

How about addressing the points I made?

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've been to Bolivia.

By which I mean I spent a number of weeks in Peru and sailed on Lake Titicaca.

So really I haven't been to Bolivia at all.

I can also say no more than, "I have been to Peru" after 3 weeks there. I don't know Peru, can make no real judgement about the place and the people because my experience is far too limited.

After a few lessons of any art you are no more than a tourist who has spent a few days there.

Mitch

18. Hannibal

So about that post where you said Sijo Lee and Guro Dan were wrong...anything to say?

19. 1fightforright2

Excuse me but my friend in training even said that this himself and he did TJJ for years before getting into JKD/kali/silat/bjj. my mates bjj is very good. my bjj is not all that. my mate said to me one time during a conversation. tJJ is not as good as Bjj. He received a call from his TJJ teacher to come and teach even though he still had not mastered traditional jj. my mate was chuffed. It does not take long to see if a style is to your liking or not.

20. 1fightforright2

I respect the way you put that mate I like philosophy as well! was this a holiday or was you thinking of emergrating there?