Teri Tom Is An Idiot!

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by hulkout, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

There's nobody in the UK that teaches that, to my knowledge.

Like I said it is just a handy article I used to show a few things.

I am for a moment going to entertain the idea that you are serious. If so then you will want to reasses your desire to train in so many styles, not to mention if you wish to train in multiple koryu.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I believe he teaches in Tunbridge Wells.

3. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Silly yahoo, don't you know"bo's don't hit back."

I think Bruce Lee stated that once upon a time.:evil: Anyway, he ducked the errant stick so that shows he was skilled enough to avoid getting hit(unlike some people that come to mind:rolleyes:)...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scUvAmEOmio"]ko nunchaku - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kvQh1-Gr_A"]Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat - Backflip with Nunchucks - YouTube[/ame]

Anyway, it's neither here or there, Chinese martial arts have had three sectional staffs for a long time(at least since the 36th chamber) and bo's with a short stick on the end so not sure why it is of such interest to you.:dunno:

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

5. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

How about Taky Kimura? he is still alive isnt he? I hope so!!.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yes he is but by his own admission Taky does not teach JKD

There are many others too - Bustillo, Strong, Golden, DeMille for starters - that are first gen

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Laugh all you want but you wait until Gyokko-ryu chuckajutsu is rediscovered! :evil:

:D

8. 1fightforright2

1fightforright2 Valued Member

Right there were only three instructors under Lee Taky kimura is a Junfan instructor Rank 5 Jun fan gung fu (also called origial JKD) Dan Inosanto rank 3 in JKD, chinese boxing and jun fan gung fu, James yimmy lee was also a JKD instructor but do not know what rank he was.

When bL taught he used to call it chinese gung fu, he then called it chinese boxing, then kickboxing then called it chinese kickboxing, then called it Jun fan Gung fu. that is why the students were certified with three certificates each. Guro Dan Inosanto official became an instructor under lee in 1967 this is when Ted Wong STARTED training with lee. Guro Dan Inosanto started training in 1964.

9. Simon

How dare you. :D

Sorry, I'm tired and not getting this.

What is it you want to know?

10. 1fightforright2

I just want to know what you are teaching on the 29th of june? the Map event.

11. Simon

I'm not totally decided, but probably some trapping hands.

I'd like to show the difference between the lead hand being trapped and switched off (as you would see in a typical CMA trapping hands video) and taking a more FMA approach and explaining what happens when you become more reactive to an attempt to trap the lead hand.

I would also (time permitting) like to go through some PIA (progressive indirect attacks).

12. 1fightforright2

you are going to add hubud lubud in it?:)

13. Simon

No. I did that last year.

14. 1fightforright2

this will be interesting :) does this not look like siniwali double sticks with nunchukus? He even does the basic numbering system at the end which is what I have been saying all along.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoNY85MiSyY"]Dan Inosanto - Master of Nunchaku - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  15. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Well spotted, for about 2 seconds from 0:26 he does what looks like one version of sinawali 4, but one of the key principles of FMA (which I'm sure you know) is transferability of techniques between weapons, so it's not really a revelation (sorry).

At the end of the video, yep, it looks like he shows HIS numbering system; others (mine included) are different.

16. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I'm looking forward to this, I always like seeing alternative approaches to familiar concepts!

17. Simon

Oh god, someone who knows their FMA. :(

I'm screwed. :cry:

18. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Ha! Don't worry, I'm an eternal student.

Also I heard a phrase recently that I've adopted when talking about options: "you could do (a) or you could do (b), which one is right? Yes."

19. Simon

I am generalising here, but I have found JKD / FMA folk to be pretty honest about themselves, what works and what doesn't.

That probably applies to anyone who has trained outside of their own school or system.

I've said before that as soon as you think you're getting it, you meet someone else and they make you look like a newby, and so it continues through your martial journey.

20. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Absolutely. I think this is a very important part of not becoming complacent about your own skill (along with full speed/pressure training with your regular training partners, at the right time and in as safe a manner as possible).

You definitely do not want to find out that you can't do something as well as you thought you could at the point that some scallywag is trying to cave your head in. Find out in the gym first and adapt your strategies (or adopt a new one), otherwise you may be heading for a bad day at the office. (Feel free to interchange "you" for "I". *sigh, how profound)