Tennis elbows and pull ups

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Senseiron, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Senseiron

Senseiron Valued Member

I suppose I could have cross posted this in several places but seems logical here.

Back in my younger days 20-odd yars ago I was pretty good at doing pull ups / chin ups, but too many years sitting behind a desk and/or physical labor on the job has left me with intermittent flares up of tendonitis. I have it in both my elbows though more significant in my left. This makes it practically impossible to do pull ups. When I try I get this shooting burst of pain through my arm which hurts too badly to continue.

I'd very much like to be able to do pull ups again. I don't think I could do one to save my life, but I don't know how to get past this

Any suggestions?

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I had this problem when I was in the process of joining the Marine Corps and had to get my pullups up in number. I worked construction and either cut sheetrock, swung a hammer, or ran a screw gun all day with one arm and they are all movements that involve the elbow. I could only do 2-3 pullups before my arm hurt too bad. I had to change my hand positioning to a supinated grip on the bar (palms facing you, I think people call these "chin-ups"). This brought in my biceps and more back muscles with the movement and took any strain off of my elbow. Never had a problem since, but I can still feel it in my elbow if I try to do a pronated grip.

Worth a try, but it may not work for you as each person's problem is unique. I also got a Cortizone shot in my elbow as well.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3312643/

''Think tendinitis and you think pain and burning in the affected area, decreased strength and flexibility, and pain caused by everyday activities. As it turns out, tendinosis is far more often responsible for these symptoms than tendinitis(1,2,3). It is important for health care practitioners to distinguish between these disorders in order to apply the most appropriate treatment.

Tendinitis is the inflammation of the tendon and results from micro-tears that happen when the musculotendinous unit is acutely overloaded with a tensile force that is too heavy and/or too sudden. Tendinitis is still a very common diagnosis, though research increasingly documents that what is thought to be tendinitis is usually tendinosis(1,2,3,4,5).

Tendinosis is a degeneration of the tendon’s collagen in response to chronic overuse; when overuse is continued without giving the tendon time to heal and rest, such as with repetitive strain injury, tendinosis results. Even tiny movements, such as clicking a mouse, can cause tendinosis, when done repeatedly.

The confusion about the difference between tendinitis and tendinosis is widespread. Many injuries commonly presumed to be tendinitis are actually tendinosis. For example, tennis elbow is usually described as tendinitis of extensor carpi radialis brevis; however, “signs of either acute or chronic inflammation have not been found in any surgical pathologic specimens in patients with clinically diagnosed lateral tennis elbow syndrome,” proving that tennis elbow is not tendinitis(4). The histology of tennis elbow shows that it is actually tendinosi''

http://www.scramblestuff.com/choke-out-tendonitis/

ive rehabbed mine but using low weight bicep curls and the above method.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  4. Senseiron

Senseiron Valued Member

My problem is that my job is very physical sometimes and I don't have nearly enough down time to make it heal. And when I'm not working I sit at a computer. So I will try this on a daily basis and see if it works. Thanks!