Tendinitis in my wrist.

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Heartless Ninja, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Heartless Ninja

Heartless Ninja Valued Member

So i went to the doctors yesterday regarding my wrist. He is almost certain that i have tendinitis. He recommended that i rest it for "at least a few weeks". I was wondering if anyone has a more accurate idea of what sort of lay off im looking at, and if there is anything i can do to help the wrist (as in exercises).

Thanks

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

How long's a piece of string?

Rest it until it's healed, then rest it a bit more. Might be less than a few weeks, or it might be a few months or it might be never. A lot of it will depend on how you heed the doctors advice.

Unless it's really bad, you wont need to do serious rehab, just work back into your training slowly.

3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Triggerpoint therapy may be worth a shot.

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Workbook-Self-Treatment/dp/1572243759"]The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment for Pain Relief Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief: Amazon.co.uk: Clair Davies, Amber Davies: Books[/ame]

4. holyheadjch

Not sure trigger point work would be good for tendonitis. Seems like the kinds of thing that would cause more inflammation, not less.

5. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

I live with it.....I wrap my wrists at night, that seems to help. Try taking some b6 50 mg's.

6. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Abstinence.

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

In my experience, GP’s don’t really investigate the issue, they use “tendonitis” as a blanket diagnosis. Might be better off checking out a physio.

The reason I bring up trigger point therapy is that when I had some wrist problems, despite the abstinence :) the doc told me I had carpal tunnel syndrome. I didn’t believe him as I don’t really subscribe to the whole carpal tunnel idea. Anyway, it turned out to be pinched nerves in my upper back/neck/shoulders which were referring the pain to my wrist. Once I did a bit of trigger point massage in the right places, the wrist issue was sorted. Took less than a week of about 3 x 5 minute sessions a day.

There is a nice write up of the theory on here:

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/triggerp.htm

8. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

I was told in the past my wrist problems were tendinitis. I laid off the weights and anything that used the wrist for a year and iced them and as soon as i did the first set of weights they were sore again.

So yeah although rest is good look into finding a physio who will prescribe stretches and strengthening exercises also.

I cant work out if the power ball is a good or bad thing, it seems to help.

9. holyheadjch

You might be right and most people would benefit from trigger point therapy in their backs regardless, but when you see hoof prints, think horses not zebras. Until the treatment for tendinitis (RICE) fails, the sensible thing to do is to treat the tendinitis.

Although in a happy coincidence, working trigger points probably wont impede the RICE anyway.

10. Osu,

Rest and ice until it cools --- one to three weeks, several times a day for 20 min; anti inflammatory local cream if you want. Change hands ;) for all activities, including holding your mouse.
    Then, gentle stretches as shown here, and muscle heat cream to activate blood flow. Stop the stretches if the pain reappears.

Take your time. Good luck.

Trigger points therapy may certainly work ---- I never was able to make it work and often made things worse for myself... but hey, I am not good at this stuff. Do not start before your inflammation has cooled off.

Osu!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  11. Heartless Ninja

I will look into this.

12. Heartless Ninja

Thanks! I'm going to go get some heat cream later. Will give the stretches a go as well.

13. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Check out this site. It helped me understand the problem I had in my elbow.
    http://www.tendinosis.org/current.html

After rest, massage, and gentle exercises, the final thing that cured it for me was negatives directly attacking the tendon in question.

14. Heartless Ninja

Im going to use ice like it suggests on the site (for pain relief) because i don't want to keep taking painkillers all the time.
    This site has some interesting stuff on it. Thanks for posting it.

15. potlucky10

potlucky10 Valued Member

Ninja,
    Put some now on in.
    Dit Dat Jow which is used for hand conditioning, bruises, and tendinitis can go a long way to healing.
    I have/ had tendinitis in my elbow from sword work and a bad training partner after putting some jow on the pain has gone away and my range of motion is coming back.
    www.plumdragonherbs.com
    Email them your issues and Josh should have a solution.

16. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

Punch a tree. Cures everything. :)

Just kidding; I got some bad tendinitis 2 years ago from a classical guitar class. Treated it with a brace, ice, compression, rest and VOLTAREN GEL. It deserves caps because it's seriously that awesome. Just rub it on; works like magic. My wrists have been fantastic since. :D

17. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

Tendon Lotion would be a better treatment for tendonitis rather than the jow.

http://www.modernherbshop.com/Tendon_Lotion_Liniment_p/suimed-tendon lotion.htm

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  18. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Voltaren gel is a prescription-only item in the USA. I do not know where the original poster lives, so you may need to keep this in mind.

You need to talk to a doctor about this, but I suspect that your GP should be correct. This falls under the "zebra" rubric. The odds are very strongly in favor of it being tendonitis, and even an orthopedist would most likely start with a diagnosis of tendonitis and treat it as such before moving on to expensive differential testing that would only really be needed in a small percentage of cases where it is not tendonitis.

19. helengibson101

helengibson101 New Member

We have the same problem.
    I don't know if their advice can heal this tendinitis doing some exercise.
    Looking for more advice. :rolleyes:
    More suggestion please.