temporal order of weights and sport specific.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by liero, Apr 15, 2009.

1. liero

liero Valued Member

Yes I used a big word:)

I have 2 questions regarding the order in which you should train when doing weights and sport specific exercises (e.g. Bagwork) In the same session and the same day.

All advice I have gathered thus far from the forum is: When doing SS and Resistance training in 1 session, always do the resistance session first.

I was just wondering why exactly this is the better order?

While it seems logical that, when lifting heavy weights you would be less fatigued not having done other training, and you may perform better- I feel sometimes following intense lifting i can barely lift my leg to kick let alone kick the heavy bag.

To address this, when possible I'll train 2 times a day with separate sessions. When training with a resistance session at the gym at one point in the day and skills training in a separate session is there a 'better' order to do the exercises. What I mean is there any advantage to training Weights in the first session and Sport Specific in the later or the other way around?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. liero

liero Valued Member

Ok, maybe i wasn't specific enough.

Why is it recommended that we do weights before skills training in the same session?

If I do 2 sessions a day should/could/would it make any difference if i do weights before skills training or visa versa?

3. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

OK, this is just my personal opinion, so take it with a pinch of salt if need be.

If I were training for two seperate things (i.e. 1 - weights for strength and size, 2 - conditioning for MA) I'd do the one that was the most important to me first. E.g. if I were deadly serious about MA training and was doing weights just to supplement MA, I'd do the bagwork etc. first and the weights second. If, however, I was more serious about lifting and just doing a bit of MA for fun on the side, I'd do them the other way around.

My reasoning being whichever one you do first you'll have more energy to do it properly, and the second one will suffer to some extent.

4. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

i'll side with cosmic on this one, its specific to what you want to do, i personally prefer to split training by a few hours so i can get the most out of both, but for doinng one first...for me at the moment weights are more important than cardio so i would actually do a bit of cardio first maybe a bit of HIIT then have a five mins rest, have a shake and start on the weights, if i do weights first i feel all the hard work i have done can be wasted by emtying my muscles of water by doing cardio, up to you though, this is just my thoughts.

5. .Nathan.

.Nathan. New Member

Depends on what MA...

If you're training Muay Thai 4 times a week, there's no need to even bother with bagwork at home really is there?

6. liero

liero Valued Member

I like your opinions people- thanks!

So i have a Competition in 4 weeks, I'm planning on putting my sparring and skills sessions before my weights and conditioning workouts, priority wise.

How much do you change training plans in the lead up to a competition? and in what way?

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Dude, you're overdoing it. You might do yourself an injury. I mean, I'm one to talk, but seriously...

8. 1369phil

1369phil Valued Member

The short answer to your question is that any strenuous activity prior to weight training is very likely to decrease your ability to effectively train.

As mentioned above, if you're that tired from weights then I'd ease up a bit - which is not an excuse to take it easy.

4 weeks out from a competition might be a time to start wrapping up your strength work (as far as gaining is concerned) and working on a maintenance type routine - I'd probably look at hitting 80% of my best numbers in the gym for about 2 weeks prior to the competiton - high enough to make you work, and low enough to stress the body less and keep injury chances low.