"Temple" style: Tai Chi history question

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Silly, May 30, 2007.

1. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Would you care to elaborate as you are obviously trying to make a point.

Seeing as you are a newcomer to TaijiQuan, I suggest that you either listen more carefully to your teacher and learn his art of being humble, or keep your cryptic comments to yourself.

What you wrote contravenes the T.O.S. as it is a personal attack on my views, as opposed to responding with your own view.

By your aggressive stance on this thread, you have shown yourself to have little grasp of the art you are ineptly attempting to defend.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I think he's trying to say you're stoopid, Carys :p

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

The OP was a query concerning WL's "history" of his system, not his methods or ability.The push hands or other abilities of one of his students is irrelevant.

And ch'i or no ch'i,everybody uses angles,lines of attack,and other such "crap".
    Apply force here,get this effect.Apply it here instead,get greater effect.Why?Angle.

4. Dan Bian

*Applause*

5. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

jnanasakti,
    I can understand some of the frustration you seem to have (it's already evident in your posts) but as El Medico was kind enough to point out, no one was questioning Waysun Liao's ability, just his comments on history. History in itself is somewhat based on interpretation.

Also, since you are one of Waysun Liao's students, it seems to me Waysun Liao (from the books of his I have read) would expect his students to act with a bit more composure and compassion. I would also assume that he would care little for whom was right or wrong (though this is speculation as I obviously don't train with him). With how your posts are coming across you are not representing your teacher very well.

6. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

I'd be glad to push hands with you jnanasakti, or we could have an all-out fight if you want. But you'll have to come to me - I'm not flying half way around the world just to prove a point, especially as my dog is not allowed to have his own plane seat. I mean, c'mon - does he look like "cargo"?

Attached Files:

7. jkzorya

p.s. He doesn't bite, but I've been known to.

8. fatb0y

fatb0y Valued Member

Another one?
    :D

9. jkzorya

Ok... :D

Attached Files:

10. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

He is soooo cute...*sends a hug* :D

:topic:

11. jnanasakti

jnanasakti Valued Member

Well you see half of the story would be not to get into the physical part of push hands. If you wanted to go there, I would be open to it, but my invitation was to demonstrate what level of softness we are talking about. We learn such a soft style that the only point of our practice is to develop internal power - know more commonly as fa jing. So my point in push hands would be to allow you to feel what it's like to practice with a "authentic" pursuit of tai chi.

And this is my main point. Real tai chi as prescribed by waysun liao is ONLY internal. To further illustrate my point, someone who practices Waysun Liao's methods may not be ready to physically fight for 7 or 8 years, while as someone who practices the watered down versions of tai chi might be able to go (fight) in 2 or 3 years...because he or she is using physicalities. But once a student of waysun liao's gains that level of attainment, he or she will far exceed, even beyond what is imaginable to a individual who practices a watered down versions. i don't mean to kick down other systems or schools, but the reality of it is that temple style is far more powerful then any other system known to the masses. it is synonymous with qi gong...qi gong is a spiritual pursuit. your spirit cannot be limited. if a tai chi practitioner doesn't have this understanding, he or she will be limited in his or her practice to the extent they limit their understanding.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  12. Dan Bian

I have to say, even in Taiji circles, this is the first time I've heard someone starting a "my teacher is softer than your teacher" 'debate'...

13. jnanasakti

jnanasakti Valued Member

wrong

14. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I am still waiting for your words of wisdom mate.

15. jnanasakti

jnanasakti Valued Member

Waysun Laio is not my teacher, one of his students (33 years ago) is my teacher.

The bottom line is this, if one wants to speak with pleasantries to appease other's that fine. One can do that and then any valuable insight will be lost due to not wanting to offend another. What succeeds such pleasantries is superficial dialog.

This is where I came in, I saw what was written and knew it was incorrect. So I decided to censure the posts. Telling someone they are incorrect pleasantly won't do anything to their understanding (in many cases), but shaking them and yelling and them and telling them wake up!...well that's the kind of realization I'm aiming at because that is the level of profundity I am talking about.

My only other option was to not comment at all. And let people go on thinking it's all based on "Do you like what you are doing? (piratebrido)". You can like whatever you doing, that's fine and good. It doesn't mean you are doing it right, or that you understand what it even is. You can still like it.

16. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

jnanasakti, shame I cant pm you....

so,still waiting. :eek:

17. jnanasakti

jnanasakti Valued Member

Well CarysB, philosophically I've stated what Tai Chi is. The question is your pursuit. Are you happy practicing Tai Chi for fun? If that is your purpose, then there is nothing else to say. Enjoy.

But if your pursuit to practice real tai chi, well, I would first start of by telling to forget the longform (the dance). Switch to single form, by which I mean doing each form by itself in repetition. Single form is much more effective for acquiring chi. The longform is no doubt important, but only after you've opened your tains for several years. Then I would suggest you take Waysun Liao's words to heart. Listen to what he is prescribing. It will take 10 years of hour+ practice a day, but along this path, you'll see what tai chi is really about.

18. jnanasakti

jnanasakti Valued Member

You should just practice kung fu or an external art, because the tai chi you practice is degenerative. You can have fun, but what you say about Master Liao...well you live in a small world, so if I explained it to you, you wouldn't understand.

19. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Still, if you are calling him Grandmaster Waysun Liao and speaking about learning under one of his students you are technically claiming lineage to Waysun liao and hence you are still considered his student.

There is a difference here between "speaking pleasantries" and treating all people with a common respect. You can still treat people with respect and get your point across or teach them valuable insight. Talking down to people is only a way to develop a way of superiority and inferiority, this is hardly a balanced way to conduct yourself.

Again plesantries and respect are entirely different things. Bashing someone's head into a wall to get your point across maybe profund, however, not very subtle nor compassionate. If you are speaking of practicing temple style Tai Chi this subtlety, compassion and softness are things you should exude even in your day to day life. Your posts so far sound more like an external MA that just found MMA.
    Temple style as you know focuses on aligning one with Tao, Tao is most easily attained through subtleties, but profound subtleties. What you are putting in your posts are coming across as rude and quite closed off. This is not inherent in that temple styles I know of.

This can be said as simple as following one's own path. What does it matter to you if they have it right or wrong? How can you say their path is wrong? This is simply another way you are appearing to go against what you have been taught. You are placing yourself in a far superior position to others out of the need of your own ego. You may have the "true" teachings, then if these are the "true" teachings they should work for everyone and you should be kind enough and compassionate to share them with passion.
    Not being disrepectful and spiteful to your fellow practitioners of the art.

I am a big advocate of Qi/Meditation/Temple style Tai Chi and would love to have good conversations with others of like mind. However, so far you are coming across as one other that was banned from these forums (thec***e) who started out with alright discussions then quickly became quite rude and overbearing. Because of your b/g and teacher I would like to think you have great knowledge that could be shared. However, just please share it respectfully and exhibit Martial virtue.

20. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

You are obviously here because you are bored imho.

I never said I was practicing TaiJi for fun.
    I never said what forms practice.

You have no idea how long I have been practicing/what I practice/whether I am a teacher or not. In fact, you know absolutely nothing about my Taiji.

I have many teachers.
    I know that despite the decades of diligent learning and practice that I am a mere baby in my knowledge.

You will hopefully one day reach humility, something that is sadly lacking in most TJ practitioners today.

Taiji is a circle. Therefore taiji is, inherently circular. It doesnt matter where you begin or end.

There is always more than one way around the circle.