Tell me about Inayan FMA

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Kframe, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Bolo game (sorry should have set context) - and yes I agree it is ALL footwork. Found it interesting how much trouble Top Dog had with it!

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I really wouldn't read too much into that ;) Less trouble with and more not his thing.

The BG is a specific application of the Trident Game, which is a fundamental of DBMA. So whilst I personally fight and play a lot of Trident, I don't use the Bolo strike so much.

I'm very contrary in my play, if the latest dvd Crafty has out is the Bolo Game, you can bet your ass that tons of guys are practicing it. So I'm always thinking "What's the anti-bolo game?" :)

Back in 2009, shortly after the Dos Triques dvd came out, I was in Germany at an S-Day and had a double stick fight with Cro Dog. We were both faking structures trying to lure the other in! It was pretty funny.

WRT the Bolo Game, in typical Crafty fashion he doesn't show it all on camera :) The man's always got about three layers to anything he teaches. The obvious (well, obvious-ish), the 'you could probably work it out if you really understand the principles', and the downright 'Crafty' :D

In the ritual of RCSF you get cyclical flow of the cool techniques. I'm predicting toe smashes will be sexy again in the next 2/3 years ;)

3. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Thanks guys for the information. I really enjoyed the class. Im looking forward to the seminar.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I absolutely believe that - the DVD's make a nice framework (or if you will indulge me "Finger Pointing" and I build from there

Everything DB put out is phenomenal IMO

5. geezer

geezer Valued Member

Depends. My escrima looks a lot like WC and the resemblance is more than fleeting. That's 'cause I do WC (VT,WT or whatever). Other guys in our group look more like boxers, kenpoists and so on depending on their experience. It's a very adaptable art. The important thing is that whatever it looks like, it makes us better.

What you said about less dogmatic. Absolutely!

6. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I meant to ask this earlier but ill do it now.. I don't know if it matters much as im new at it. The instructor leading the eskrima class has only 2 years experience. He like me left the Bujinkan for the same reason. He then went over seas found Inayan eskrima in Singapore and trained it for year, then Trained for another year in California before moving back here.

Now, I do know that Suro Inay is sapposed to be coming regularly twice a year for private trainings with us. 3 day, six hours a day.

Is this something I should be concerned about guys? The training sessions are as much for him as it is for us. He clearly knows more and has more skill then I do(no crap lol).

I was just a little nervous about this, as he is the only person doing escrima here in my area.

I guess you could say its more like a training group then a formal dojo.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Does it bother you?

Although I've been doing Eskrima for years and do teach FMA concepts as part of my class syllabus, I don't hold an instructors certificate in any one (Eskrima)style (in other styles I do).

I've trained privately under two different masters and Grand Masters and have trained in Eskrima as part of my JKD and other styles, but not in one style exclusively.

When I trained privately with GM Danny Guba's and was in the instructor's course I was permitted to teach the system using his (and the Doce Pares) name, as he knew it was in good hands.

Now no longer on the instructors course I have dropped the Doce Pares name and don't claim to teach it. If your instructor is doing something similar, or has been given permission to teach a certain style, then I personally wouldn't worry.

If he is taking your money then this is slightly more concerning.

I've been in this position as a student and it's hugely frustrating.

If he wants to train, then he should get another session going with a few senior students and do something like all parties chipping in to hire a hall.

8. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Well the only thing I had to pay for is the shirt and sticks. Now there is a membership fee each month but its not to him. He trains in a sports center that houses a few martial arts. For one price I can train in karate, judo, heiki ryu jiu jitus(a JJJ style) as well. Seperate teachers for each art.

They are letting him train there.

It does bother me a little bit, but he does have confirmed plans to bring the Suro Inay in twice a year for continued education I wonder if that is ok..

9. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Ok well on facebook, there are a number of pictures with him and Suro of recent timestamping. He has permission to teach(I would imagine just the basics though at his level). According to the face book history he has been traveling to Suro Inay's seminars frequently.

It looks like he is keeping up with his continuing education. That being the case I am ok with it. Now if he was not getting regular training with senior people I would likely be more concerned.

10. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I trained with the late Suro Mike Inay it's a great system if his son says the guy is good enough to teach I'm sure as the head of the system he knows what he's doing. As for this guy using it as a training session for himself too. Why the hell not. I have been teaching since 1990 I treat all my classes as training sessions for me to. Every student will help you learn more about the art your teaching.

A good FMA teacher is always training even when they are teaching. I would worry more if they just stood there barking instructions at you and not getting hands on themselves. And it's obvious he is actually being honest with you about how much time he has spent training and that in each session he is trying to also improve himself.

I know people who will teach a class with nothing but a few seminars who will stand there and BS their way teaching a class and BS about how they are fantastic etc and know exactly what they are doing yet don't know one end of a stick from another.

I wouldn't worry. He's sound honest he is in a great system and has great guidance. Go for it.

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Your right Pat. During class, he joined in each exercise we did. What is hilarious, I joined that place to learn karate. Found eskrima instead.

12. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Hey guys. I need some advice.

How do I tell my coach that im annoyed that he didn't contact me in any shape or form to let me know class was cancelled? Im very annoyed as I spent a lot of time at the sports center alone and doing my sinawali alone. Getting weird looks from the other schools. Some of them even asked were the rest of us were and why I was alone..

I found this to be very off putting as it seams that every other student knew not to come, except me. He has my contact information. I tried texting him, and facebooking him.. He did text me the next day saying he would get with me Friday(today) if we are going to have class Saturday or not. I have not been contacted yet, so I left a face book private message.

How do I bring this up in person, in a way that does not cause any conflict or burnt bridges?

I just feel annoyed because every other student knew that class was cancelled yet I was not informed.

Just venting a little. I need some advice guys. I was going to not do the karate class there, and just stick with the escrima, however im rethinking it now because I don't know if class will be consistently held.

Thanks guys for your sage advice.

13. Simon

Sadly it happens. It's rare, but it happens.

I've been driving home, got stuck in traffic and am going to be late, you rack your brain to try and remember all of your students and you do your best to contact them.

I've occasionally missed calling someone and if you're a new student you may not yet have been added to your instructor's list of contacts in his phone.

He may have your number, just not to hand at the time he realised the class wasn't going to be on.

14. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I understand, it was just very embarrassing.

15. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Kframe, even solo training with sinawali is training.. be it in class or alone, you still had the discipline to get out there and practice.. that's the name of the game

16. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

If I could hit something there, my sinawali solo training would give me some more context.. Is it to hard on B.O.B bags to hit them with Ratan sticks?

17. Simon

I don't have a bob, but wouldn't hit the bag with rattan sticks.

Two options here.

1. Get a tyre to hit, or maybe put a tyre over Bob's head.

2. Use padded sticks (make your own).

18. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Gonna get a tire and hang it up here at home and hit it. That will help me a lot.

19. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Tires are great, bags are okay two but I typically make an outer layer for them kind've like a blanket so that I do not destroy the bag. When a heavy bag is getting old and needing to be replaced I pull out my asp and go to work. After a few practices it definitely needs to be replaced!

20. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

How well does thick leather hold up? I have a cheap bag, but maybe I can sew a thick leather outer shell around it.