Tell me about Inayan FMA

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Kframe, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I have my class tonight, and im anxious to go.

I was hoping you guys could help me understand some things.

Here is a video I found on Inayan escrima. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCMRHmGdTnY"]Second Counter Third Angle of 1st Medio Method - YouTube[/ame]

Now is this a combat drill, were you should be able to use the whole thing in combat, or a principals drill? There are 8 strikes in that, each one a different angle. So is each check and strike a separate possibility of what could happen or is it hit there arm 8 times for the actual response?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's called (certainly in Doce Pares) abecedario.

You'll learn the following:

• Angles of attack
    • blocks to those attacks
    • entires to those attacks
    • disarms (at various ranges)
    • Lock sets
    • Abecedario

Abecedario takes several forms (depending on style). I'm not familiar with Inayan, but in other styles you'll have something like 4:3, 5:4, 6:5, 7:6 etc.

This is a block to a strike followed by a series of counters. 4:3 would be 4 blocks to the forehand side, 3 to the backhand side and so on.

So you could do a block, abecedario 4:3, then enter for a disarm, or lock.

You'll end up being able to work fluidly forehand, backhand, armed and unarmed.

You'll flow from long range to close range and back again.

You'll start of with a weapon, get disarmed and carry on quite happily empty handed.

You're right to be excited.

Good luck and report back.

Simon.

3. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

So in essence each separate check and block is a separate possible way to counter that attack. Then it flows into the other things you mentioned.

I was just curious because I didn't think you could get 8 hits on a arm in a real conflict, but it makes sense to train multiple possibilities in one drill.

Whats even cooler, is, that Suro Jason Inay is planning on coming to my town twice a year for multi day private training.( basically just the instructor and his students) He is trying to rebuild the escrima community here, it fell apart as people got older. I was invited to his May 2nd seminar.

This is probably the only opportunity in a art to train regularly with the grandmaster of it..

4. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

actually the video you are seeing is the counter for angle 3 in serrada/inayan eskrima.. The abcedario is the whole numbering of angles that are taught to beginners for which there are counters and recounters for each angle.. in some of the eskrima systems, you will find 5 different counters depending on the type of disarm you do as there are 5 general disarms.. Lock and block is a step by step drill to teach you the counters, but once developed, you can see it coming at a higher speed than the slow actions that are demonstrated

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I love the empty hand stuff but the sticks drive me crazy. Best of luck to you man!

6. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71iSXzrUZ04"]Serrada Escrima *Supreme Grand Master* Angel Cabales & Grand Master *D* {1989} - YouTube[/ame]

Here is an old video of angel cabales (founder of serrada eskrima) who is demonstrating the whole set of lock and block with one of his first generation students

7. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

So its basically a dynamic drill. Well the instructor said we would be doing Serrada tonight.

I wish 5.15 would come sooner. If what im hearing is correct, and he told me truth, then I have found what I wanted in the first place. What I went to the bujinkan for. A comprehensive system with weapons and unarmed and pressure testing. He assured me that there will be ample sparring and other forms of pressure testing.

Im just trying to not get to excited because, I got excited to do BBT and then was let down. That said, im still quite excited to try it.

Thanks for the video, that was pretty cool to watch.

8. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Hi guys. Just got back from my escrima class. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Ill say this right off the bat, the instructor assured me in no uncertain terms they spar. He said that it wont be right away, but when the time is right there will be sparring.

I purchased my rattan sticks and must cut them to size and finish the ends.

Class was a very slow class as several of us were new. It is ok, as I don't want to do anything fast yet with a hard stick that hurts when you screw up.

First thing he had me do was face bob(the bob bag) and do the 5 angles of attack. I did a few minutes of this, both on bob and on the air in front of a mirror.

After that, we spent a good amount of time on doing a basic block and using it on the 5 angles of attack. Ill try to describe it, as I cant remember many names. Stick straight up, with my live hand reinforcing it. We did several rounds with that. Them swinging at me, then me swinging at someone else. there was 4 of us so it was like a circle.

Then we did a inside combo. Check with live hand, (we drilled just checking with the live hand for a good long while) then do a combo. We did this to angle 1. Then we started working on the combo for angle 2. We spent more time just drilling the check. (I really appreciated this) Then we went through the angle 2 combo.

When this was done, it was about 10 minutes left in class so he finished up with Hubud. I found this to be hard yet fun as heck. It was so simple yet so hard. I kept wanting to strike with my rear hand, instead of trapping the elbow. It was a simple parry,pass with other hand, trap elbow and punch face. We went back and fourth with this. I really liked this drill.

One thing he kept stressing was not getting into a fight stance. I kept wanting to bring my arms up into a fighting stance. He kept stressing to me to relax and do it naturally.

Overall I really enjoyed the class. It was very fun. I decided to buy the sticks and order my shirt. I plan on practicing this art. It looks like it will develop my reflexes and my ability to utilize both my sides of the body. As of right now im only effective with the right side. No matter what happens, those things alone are worth the effort. As my reflexes and ambidexterity improve any art I do on my off days will be improved.

Overall im glad I took the class and look forward to training with Suro Inay when he comes to town. It looks like we have 3 days with him. First day is a open seminar the last to days are private. Looks like each day will be 5 hours of private training.

9. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Glad you enjoyed it Kframe. Hopefully you have found what you will like to train in for a long time. The FMA are fantastic and very, very diverse. Good luck and keep asking questions!

10. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I have a question. I was watching some dog brothers, and it seams like some of the things we did in class they don't do at all at their meets. Why does it look like just pure wild swinging with no checking and parrying?

Is it the nature of competition with sticks that makes that aspect useless? From what he told me about Inayan, they treat the sticks like blades. Hence the cutting motions in some of them movements.. Just curious, not that i matters, because those dog brother meets look crazy fun.

11. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

::fight3::bow1::bow1:I rest my case!!!!!

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

There is the art, then there is the reality.

You'll develop a massive skill set, but when sparring will tend to stick to your own amera (set moves developed from the angles of attack).

13. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Kframe
    That is what is nice about the FMA, you can tailor the training for your own needs and specialities.. As I stated before, I pull from three different eskrima systems when I train and when I teach, I find out what the strong points are for my students, then tailor the training for their needs.. It is a very individualistic combatives system, but as you start out, you will find some stuff that will take time to comprehend and you will most definitely get frustrated.. Remember, in the FMA. we "play" at training and if the atmosphere is like a family gathering all the better, you can pull energy and understanding from your " brothers and sisters" in the class..

That is how I was trained in the Philippines and how I train my people.

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

A Dog Brothers Gathering of the Pack and Dog Brothers Martial Arts are two separate, but related, entities.

The majority of people who fight in the Gathering do not do DBMA (though at the Euro it is probably the single most represented system).

So I'd ask, did you watch a Gathering or a DBMA demo? Then I can answer your question :)

In DBMA the stick is a stick, hence why we slash through. We need to generate power as we can't rely on a bladed edge. Now, can you trap, disarm etc? Why yes! :)

15. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I was watching the 2013 gathering of the pack. I have not seen the DBMA videos.
    Your description of the differences in mindset, regarding the stick, probably describes why their fights look like they do. I was just curious because I was watching the fights on that video and didn't see any checking or parrying. Just wild swinging and striking. Not a criticism, it looked like a hard thing to do, actually fight someone with a stick. Which is more then I have done.

16. Freeform

Sure, some guys at the Gathering do the wild swinging thing, but a lot of those guys come from a mixture of styles which do include checks and party's. So the question is, why isn't that manifesting in a fight?

And... There are plenty of guys who can, do and have manifest that type of technique in a fight (myself being one). So, how do we manage it? ;)

17. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Freeform you have me chomping at the bit to hear more sir!

18. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I don't know much about the Inayan system, but if you were doing a Serrada type drill, they pretty much live in medio (medium) range. Most of the DB fights happen at largo (long) range where the length of the larger sticks they use can be optimized (31 inch sticks are not uncommon) and then rapidly transition to corto (close) range. My understanding is that the Inayan system also has a largo component that is different than the original Cabales Serrada system, so you should be seeing that material as well at some point.

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Been meaning to ask how much bolo you play Freeform? It has become a staple of mine having been developing it in training for the past year or so

20. Freeform

You mean Bolo in the dbma bolo game, or an actual bolo. The answer, is yes to both, and not as much as I'd like.

For me dbma bolo game is all about the footwork. Real bolo training for me is about the alive hand, and not chopping it off ;)