Technique or People

Discussion in 'Karate' started by chrispy, May 29, 2006.

1. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

This is obviously not as much of a black and white question/discussion as the "or" implies in the title but it's something that came up last week at Karate and I thought I would pose it here.

If you are/or think you will become a teacher, or you are a student at Karate - are you more concerned about a student getting a technique down or about the student as a whole. On the student side would you prefer a teacher that is only focused on technique or one that has an ear for problems or can tell you arn't getting something today and move on to something else.

My Sensei was chatting with another MAist a week and a half ago or so and he said his only concern was that the student learns the technique that is being taught on the day (or at least that was the gist of it) and that he would focus on the student who can kick the lights out and win trophys type of thing.

Where as the main "philosphy" at our club is 'root for the underdog' - and by that I mean the people who can do really well on their own - or be shown something a couple of times and get it, spend a LOT less time with the Sensei's and the people who are struggling get a bit more attention.

We are definently concerned about people coming to class and learning the techniques, but not so focused on the that only the people who get it quickly get attention. So maybe someone comes to the club on monday night feeling like crap about themselves after a bad day at work... and maybe they don't learn anything on that particular night because they just can't get it, but they leave feeling good or better about themself - then that night was a success.

One other thing is that before the start of class time we all line up and sensei will walk along and ask how kids days went at school how was work, have a little chat with nearly everyone to get a feel for the mood of the class on the day and all that kind of thing too. Personally I like that and feel it's important.

Now I can see the value of both in a particular setting, I'm not trying to purport that one way is wrong and the other right, or that it's either one or the other. just stating what I know, and thought i'd see what other people think.

Along with this:

1. What do you expect from a Sensei? - knowlege, style, personality, attitude
    2. What do you as a teacher expect of yourself? (i'm sure most of us have been a teacher - even in a one on one with a new student or for 10 minutes of class time)
    3. What do you expect from your students?
    4. What do you think student expect of you?

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

1. I would expect all of the above personally - the instructor is meant to be human afterall?? If I wanted to compete - I would expect one type of class, if I wanted to just practice kata I would expect another type of instructor. Thats why its so important to meet the instructor and view a few classes before commiting yourself financially to find out if there is a particular ethos to the class.

2. I have "taught" a lower belt meself a few run throughs of techniques and it requires patience and thoughtfulness. Just like everyone else I have had a bad day too. The reason why I have taught lower belts is so the instructor could go through other belts training and get them started and then he would take over from what I was doing and then I would go back to the other class - that way no one missed out on extra and appropriate training.

3. TigerDude

TigerDude Valued Member

I expect knowledge to be passed to me. I don't need a karate instructor to manage my moods. Give it to me & if don't get it, I'll ask for clarification.

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

hmmmm... you know I'm not sure. I guess if pressed for an answer, I would say that I want for students to learn to protect themselves at all times, so they don't get badly hurt.

This sometimes requires knowing a bit about the stresses and mood of a student to evaluate if they are ready for the lesson or not. But on the other hand, learning proper technique and how to accept the hit/technique (ukemi) is really important.

Students work on techniques, but mostly they are on the receiving end of techniques too, so they need to know how to protect vitals and take the falls for good training. Even more so when learning to counter techniques.

5. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

1. I expect a sensei to know what they are doing - I think they should have a friendly personality - and by that I mean from some people you get the feeling that you can't talk to them and other people have the type of personality that invites conversation - a sensei I think should have the latter. And I think their attitude should be along the lines of "I want to be here and I enjoy teaching" If the instructor looks like they are hating what they are doing how is anyone else supposed to be happy to learn?

2. When I teach the kids or lower belts I hope at least that I am fun, and informative. A couple of the Sempai's in the club you can see the dejected looks on the kids (or everyone for that matter) faces when they have to work with them, but they are happy to come work with me. When I teach higher belts or adults I hope that I am a bit challenging - asking for a high preformance - but still fun.

3. What I would expect from the students I have working with me - and myself as a student - is effort. If someone is putting in the effort but not getting it I encourage them for the effort.

4. I think students expect to not get BS'ed if they are doing crappy they'd prefer to not be told how great they are doing.And they expect to have a teacher that can help them learn something on the day, a new strike, a better foot position for their kicks. And when you are teaching kids I think they expect to have a bit of fun and not stand around waiting.

NEW -EDIT

And for the meat of my original post my opinion would be that people come to a martial arts club to learn an art yes, but is that all they "learn"? This I think depends on the instructor. If the instructor is so focused on technique that he'd tell a student that they are crap because they arn't getting it, if the instuctor spends all his/her time with the clubs champion fighter and none with the students that are struggling, if the instructor views the weaker students as paid bills and the better students as "the real ones" then yeah I think all you would learn at that club is the cirriculem required -if even that.

If the instuctor spends time and encourages the students who struggle at particular parts of the cirriculem, if the instructor takes the time to know something about each student. If the instuctor has the prize fighters in the club that require attention, but still takes the time for the weaker students, if the idea of the club is to not only grow as a MAist but also as a person, then I think the students and the teacher will learn a lot more things than techniques, they'll learn about themselves, and how they can affect the people around them.

Do I think that learning MA techniques is what helps you grow as a person? Not really, learning to jab and front kick didn't help me understand anyone or myself better. But enduring the highs and lows, encouraging the kids to keep going, seeing the realization of when something clicks for someone and they get all excited, being challenged to be better, being challenged to endure a grading, teaching students with all ranges of ability and attention span! Seeing the little successes, like making something really enjoyable for that misriable kid - that has been what has made me grow.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  6. Mat Subayashi

Mat Subayashi New Member

Personally I prefer working with students who allthough may not be the natural born athlete or superstar will honestly apply themselves with a maximum of effort and work to his/her full potential at the moment. Call me old fashioned but I dont see Karate as a sport so much as a way of life. It is the modern view of the Martial arts in general as a sport that has caused all the emphasis to be on winning or performing and not where it should be which in my humble opinion is on self improvment.

As for what I like to see in an instructor, Knowledge obviously, but alot of people have knowledge and cant teach. I want an instructor who can inspire his/her students. Someone who takes an interest in all of there students. By that i am refering to taking an interest in them primarily as Martial Artists. I am wary of a sensei who gets too personal with his/her students as I have seen too many students get involved in dojo politics only to leave with a bitter taste in their mouth for the martial arts.

I would expect the same things from myself when I am teaching as I expect or look for in a student. I expect that I will teach to my full potential at the moment.

I hope that students expect me to teach them something. I hope they expect to be shown respect and I hope they expect to be pushed to achieve a greater level of improvment.

7. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

the second one on the student side

8. RobA

RobA New Member

As a student I would have to say I would want my Sensei to
    possess all the above.. luckly I have a Sensei that is as concerned with
    my personal wellbeing as well as my technique.. he is more than
    my Sensei, he is also a friend that I have great respect and admiration for.