Technique Name

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Kuniku, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Hi there,

I'm Currently trying to help my Sensei re-write our Clubs Syllabus Notes into a more friendly format.

However I have reached a bit of a standstill, as neither myself nor my Sensei know any names for the lock we use after the Front Scissors Throw, in my search I have found a link to a tutorial on the Throw that uses the same finish (roughly) as we use:

http://www.ultimatejujitsu.com/lear...niques/orange-belt/front-scissors-throw.shtml

The lock I'm refering to is the one in pictures 6 and 7.

If anyone can help with a technique name for this (In English and Japanese if possible) I'd be very thankful.

Kind Regards,

Ian

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Welcome to MAP :D

No idea of the technique's name, I'm afraid, but hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge of the terminology might be able to help.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

Hiza Hishigi (knee crush). Personally this is what I would use.

Or I suppose you could also use ashi hiza hishigi (using your leg to knee crush). You can crush the knee with your arms as well so it depends if you want to differentiate between them.

Or you could call the entire movement kani garami (crab entanglement) as opposed to separating the actual throw (kani basami - crab scissors) from the ending.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I don't know the Japanese name for the technique, but it is a form of a "toe hold".

FYI: I would caution against using that technique against an opponent that is taller and has strong legs. I've had people kick (power) their way out of it before it is fully sunk in.

There may be variations of the hold that would work better against taller stronger opponents... ones that straighten the leg more or trap both legs, and allow for better leverage at the top of the lever, IMHO.

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Ashi garuma

foot or ankle lock

Hiza garuma

knee lock

Smurf

6. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

I have never really given it a specific name lol

7. Dao

Dao Valued Member

Ashi garami or ashi gatame hiza kujiki.

Dao

8. Kuniku

I agree with your point, however it is still a part of the syllaubs which is what I want the name for as I am updating the syllabus sheets to a more modern style.

9. Kuniku

thanks for all the replies though, has been helpful, i'm sure I'll be back before long with more similar questions as I get into the higher kyu grades and some of their multiple locking techniques!

we unfortunately tend to learn moves by names (especially locks - or do lots of people know the "baked bean" lock?) that help us remember rather than their actual names, which I'm all for in the earlier kyu grades, but I think once you start progressing to shodan the real names should be emphasised =p

10. Kuniku

the way I have written the syllabus notes out splits all the moves into 4 parts, generally it is:

the incoming attack
    the blocks and strikes used
    the throw
    the finish

which is why i wanted just the lock to fit it into that format

11. righty

righty Valued Member

So I'm curious nwo as to what name you ended up using?

12. Kuniku

I went with Knee Crush with legs in the end, as it reminded me of a shoulder crush.

It didn't seem like a toe hold, as we rarely actually have the toes locked when we do it.

13. Kuniku

I went with Knee Crush with legs in the end, as it reminded me of a shoulder crush.

It didn't seem like a toe hold, as we rarely actually have the toes locked when we do it.