Technique Applications

Discussion in 'Karate' started by John Titchen, Oct 8, 2012.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

The karate forum has been quiet recently, which is a shame because there are a large number of talented and knowledgeable members here.

I've decided that I'm going to try to regularly (once a week at the most) post short videos (in a new thread each time) looking at a single movement or a Kata sequence, suggesting one or two possible applications for it. What I'm looking for is other people giving it a go and posting their thoughts, or perhaps suggesting an application of their own for the same movement (preferably with video footage).

I don't mind if people suggest sport-centric applications - just so long as they are clear that that is the context in which they see it being applied! :cool:

The subject of this week's video from me is one possible application of Shuto Uke.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AJEspzJng8"]Bitesize Bunkai 1 - YouTube[/ame]

2. embra

embra Valued Member

Im not a Karateka, but I thought this was quite well presented because it demonstrates timing, distance, interception and follow-up i.e. technique is coming from an adaptation of a basic principle.

I could suggest explaining the visible footwork and angularity of entry to flesh out the application more i.e. finding the weakpoints of the attacker to intercept and counter. Also the defence looks like an angled parry rather than a static block which would be my preference - but I could be completely wrong in my perception.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You said you had to modify the Kata to make the block work. It's a very similar block to what I have learned. If that's the case, then why use the kata at all? Which one gets taught first to a new student, the kata, or the modified technique? :)

I have so many questions xD

4. John Titchen

It isn't so much modification as recognising the standard performance as stylisation. Essentially all TMA are stylised to different degrees. The Japanese versions of Okinawan originating martial arts have had postural changes which we can see through photographs over time, written records and current Okinawan systems.

Most students are not taught to apply the movement in this manner in the system in which I gained my first Dan grade (Shotokan). No application is given for the first movement, but the second movement (which I show here as a strike) is used to block straight punches.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  5. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

That's a somewhat complex question, but il do my best to answer. In karate, kata is the basis, it's how we teach and learn. It two basic parts, there is the application (or bunkai) and there is the beuty of the kata itself. One of the reasons the movements look different in kata is because there are always multiple applications for any given technique in kata. For example, the part he showed in the video is taught in my style of karate as a throw, as well as what he showed. Because of that motions in kata aren't exact, as they apply to a wide range of techniques each being different.

Also, each kata is something of a work of art, so movements are sometimes adjusted to flow well with the rest of the kata, this doesn't take away from the bunkai if practiced properly however.

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

He didn't modify the kata - he took the move out of the kata and showed some applications for it. I know there's some disagreement over what kata are for, but the most common interpretation is that they're a dictionary of techniques and, in a dictionary, you don't have to use the words in the order they appear (or there would be a lot of conversations about aardvark abandonment...etc).

Often, in karate, you'll learn the "picture perfect" formal version first and then it will, by nature, get a bit less formal when you start applying it to other people and you have to concentrate more on what the other guy's doing than whether you've got all your bits at the right angles.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well...it's not perfect but at least we have a record of what someone a 100 years ago thought was important to know. IN another 100 we'll still have it.
    I see it as a sort of primitive Youtube. :)

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Plus, you can make it more like youtube by getting your friends to stand around shouting "faget" at you while you do the kata.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I can't remember which of the kata has a sequence of shuto uke, nukite and then a turn, but I saw this performed on a grainy black and white film by a chap who performed a pronounced head movement after the nukite. I have never been able to find the clip since :(

My interpretation has always been of the nukite as a grab to the back of the head followed by a head as a result. I like this idea though JWT :)

Mitch

10. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Hi John,

From a Wado / Jujutsu perspective, I tend to look at Shuto as complete body movement rather that just what the hands/arms are doing.

I see the counter rotation of the trunk and leading arm - as well as the "irimi" and closing of ma-ai being hugely functional in this respect.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the "limb centric" stuff and I think what you have demoed here is really good.

From an "omote" or surface level training perspective it is good stuff, but underneath there is a load more going on imo.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Come on then Gary, spill! :D

Mitch

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AJEspzJng8"]Bitesize Bunkai 1 - YouTube[/ame]

At 2.43, after you have used your right forearm to hit on your opponent's head, you can use your right hand to pull behind your opponent's neck. If you pull back your right leg and spin to your right, you can "lead your opponent into the emptiness" and drag him down to the ground.

In your form, it's a strike. It doesn't hurt to add a "pull" after your striking. All strike should be able to connect by a "pull" IMO.

13. John Titchen

Nice application. I was literally showing the rudimentary elements of a very basic effective single application. That why the text makes reference to greater possibilities once you make the distance more realistic. There is a lot of push/pull arm and body stuff I'm not doing so as not to obfuscate the basic concept.

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Agree!

It's better to achieve "only see the body move and don't see the arm move". To use the body to push/pull the arms is also a better way. This way, even if your block may miss the punch, your body has already moved out of the striking path.

15. John Titchen

Though that is a tricky dynamic against close range haymakers, which are the most common HAOV.

16. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Well, its just that the Shuto-uke we practice is often best applied close up and personal ;)

Hip to hip really.

I have seen Ohgami sensei demo it as an entry to a throw, but not using the pulling/pushing action with the arms - more the rotation and droping of the hips into your opponent using the counter rotation of the shoulders/torso.

Different to what John is showing here, and I reailise different horses etc..

17. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

In shorin ryu karate, this kata (called by us pinan nidan) puts those shuto blocks low, this changes the bunkai hugely.

One arm leads a kick to the other arm, wich then locks down on the leg, almost in a head lock position. Then you step in on the side holding the leg, and turn toward the other side while shuto striking the tonden.

So if the opponent kicks with a rear leg kick off of his right leg, you end up holding the leg with your right arm, stepping in with your right leg, turning to your left and striking with your left. It's a very effective and adaptable technique. Unfortunately I can't find a video of the bunkai.

18. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Hi Gary

Good to see you posting, haven't seen anything from you in a while. :)

I was going to post something more detailed, looking at what I consider the core principles in shuto. Just a quickie for now though...

I think in the Okinawan tradition the emphasis is on the arms working together (either simultaneously or slightly offset) to produce some combination of push/pull/twist/rotate. The stance & hip/torso rotation obviously help with power generation for this, but in some instances the hip and/or leg can be used to contact the opponent and produce force at a different vector to either arm. So one application could be a throw, but essentially the same throw could also be achieved without such overt involvement of the hip/leg.

Mike

P.S. I'm definitely a big believer in 'up close and personal'

19. John Titchen

I asume everyone could read the text? :D

:Angel:

20. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Indeed, read and noted. Personally - FWIW - I'd rather have seen it without the increased distance. It might initially make it harder to see what's going on but I think it would help people develop more of an eye of what to look for in bunkai.

Mike