Techers and there Ways.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by phatfire, Jul 21, 2006.

1. phatfire

phatfire New Member

So here is my question to all of you. What do you like in a teacher?.....

Personnaly; I like to see a thoughtful person, no talking for hours without a point to it. One that knows the materials with no questions. And one that cares for his students as much as he cares about himself.

So what are your opinions and thoughts on the topic at hand?

2. Pocari Neko

Pocari Neko Learner Ninja

Someone who is humble, accepts that he is imperfect like everyone else, and "walks" with you on the MA journey of self improvement.

3. phatfire

phatfire New Member

Very well put...I agree to a point. :D

4. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

One that can accept that there are other M/A arts out there that aren't lame, dangerous, waste of time etc: for a cross trainer this is very awkward ignoring the digs to other M/A. Out of 4 instructors only one has never slagged off other M/A

5. curious

curious Valued Member

One who has passion for his/her art and drives you to the best you can get but can see your limitations and can help you overcome them. ONe who can also look at otehr MA's and see what they can learn from them.

6. Pocari Neko

Pocari Neko Learner Ninja

I'm nodding away in aggreement with all of you.

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

One that knows each person's strengths and how to get the best out of his/her students!

8. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

I also like teachers who won't tell you that their style is perfect/flawless and that it all depends upon the student not the art.
    Teachers who are welcome for you to explore other arts and styles to see which you are more comfortable in.

Oh yeah and teachers with good spelling is always a good point. ;)

9. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

one that has a passion for their art, who is patient and can get their point across to their students.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, but aren't these mostly qualities of any good teacher? I'd be more interested in what people like in actual teaching styles or methodologies myself. I'd hope that any teacher I had for anything had a passion for the subject, recognized that he or she was imperfect, and treated me with respect and concern.

Stuart

11. Who?

Who? Banned Banned

If you compete in M/A (sport)it is nice to know the your teacher has been where you are. An instructor that still likes to spar is refreshing, whether it be in their class or at competition. I don't mean take it seriously anymore, I know that can get in the way of instructing but still enjoys the fight - holding back or not - just for the fun.