Team loaylty

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by bouli, Jun 22, 2012.

1. bouli

bouli Valued Member

What do you think of this. A team member is making his competition debut in a few weeks. The guy he is fighting with is actually an employee of another team member (but trains at a different gym).
    The guy he is fighting broke his hand at his last competition, so our team member asked the guys boss, (who is on our team), which hand? The guy's boss (our team member) doesn't want to say.
    Oh and just to add, they will be meeting in the absolute division, where our team mate is going to be outweighed by 14 kg.........

2. righty

righty Valued Member

Sounds OK to me.
    Technically speaking it's a broken hand which makes it part of someone's medical history which you can think of as being illegal to give information on anyway.

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

excuse me if im way off but I get the feeling you might have taken a comment that was said in jest a little too seriously, sure they guy who asked what hand he broke wasn't having a laugh ? its hard to see how that would give him much of an advantage in a brazilian jiu jitsu match.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

He might have a weaker grip with that hand.

either way, unless its at blackbelt level its a douche move to target injuries as a stratagy.

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

It's a rather backhanded move regardless of what level you are at, but it's an effective one also.

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Go for it. If you enter a comp with an injury you need to accept that it might be problematic. Yes it's not the "honorable" thing to do but that's not his problem. Mean if I saw the guy I was fighting had a foot strapped up I'd be diving on foot locks like it was the only thing I knew.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

hmmm reminds of when I see guys hop into the octagon with one leg or knee taped six ways till sunday and then the opponent starts to dig in with low kick on that leg. I always think yes it's important to be available for a fight and to look to support injuries with taping... but jeebus... it's not an ideal situation as the tape is one massive red flag to a bull.... your opponent. :p

8. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

It's funny that someone would ask someone else about a third person's injury unless they wanted to attack it. You see this all the time in some sport's and it's one reason why it's a bit unethical having the same group/office providing coverage for both teams. Info might leak to the other team and it be used against the injured player.

So are you saying your mate isn't good enough to beat the other guy without some sort of unfair advantage? Perhaps he shouldn't be competing in that division if this is the sort of stuff he has to resort to. It is the same problem that occurs whenever winning become the absolute focus. It's really unfair that your mate asked the question in the first place as it definitely puts the other guy in an awkward position. I can see where someone might go after an obvious weak area but having to go and search out that information sucks. Most people have enough ethics to not see poor sportsmanship as the way forward but not everyone.

FWIW

LFD

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

an old Judo instructor told me if he ever had an injury he had to dress up like that he would always take the wraps off and put them on the opposite leg/arm :p

10. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

OP

IMO it's unsportsman like and also puts the middleman in a tough position

Would you be happy if the situation was reversed and info about you was leaked to an opposing team?

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The leaking info is the only thing I do find a bit iffy but you can't really blame the guy for asking, especially if these guys are higher levels which I assume they are if they know their opponents beforehand. Also if info about you is leaked to an opponent you need to take a look at your training partners. I've got no problem with people asking the guys I train with if I'm injured, but that could be because I know none of them would give anything up. But then we do also have no qualms about going for each other at a comp so we may not be the best example.

This is in the bjj section so I'm going to assume this is a normal bjj comp. if so then depending on weight classes, belts etc. he could need to fight 6 guys to get his gold. Finding a weakness to exploit that gets you a quick sub rather than a 5-10 minute war can make all the difference.

Just focusing on the injury point for a second I'm curious what the people saying its a douche move to attack it would do if they saw an opponent with something strapped up? Ignore it completely and deny yourself another attacking option? Put subs on more gently?

12. bouli

bouli Valued Member

Personally I don't see it as a douche move to attack an injury, especially in the absolute division! I know I have done so before and would easily in thefuture. If you are injured and show it, then you better be able to protect it yourself and rely on my "niceness" to ignore it.
    And for the record, Johnny was right to sweep the leg!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  13. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Its one thing to use an opponants injury to your advantage during a match, quite another to go snooping around before hand. But this is only my opinion.

To go competeing with an injury is pretty mad as well

When is the match...good luck for it

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I've seen competitors that would put their mom in an ankle lock or triangle if they thought it'd win them a medal.

15. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

As long as she knows how to tap out :jester: