Teaching kids to Box?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Combat Sports, Jan 9, 2014.

1. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

All you need are some gloves and head gear. Let them go at it :) I would really look into a smaller MMA gym. You might be surprised.

As far as tkd goes my 4 yr old daughter is in it. She has actually made a 10 yr old cry with a round house and a knuckle to the beak.

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Will be for stand up. They may be allowed to train together but it's better to break the habit of it being regular as soon as you can. They'll still get to train together but not as the regular partner.

3. raaeoh

You make a good point. The MMA fighters where I train have to switch partners every 10 mins.
    I know too well what my sparring parter is going to do almost every time. I think I might be getting a bit complacent with sparring because of it.

4. Moi

Mix that with an age difference and already a pre existing relationship and punching/kicking hard. Great as sparing partners but they both need a comparable and compatible challenge

5. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

At this point I only need them just to develop basic skills and be able to practice them. I guess training together would be better then nothing.

6. raaeoh

This is also true. As long as they are using proper technique. I would still start with pad work and basic combos. It will naturally evolve from there.

I know this is not the same thing but I spar with my wife once and a while. The last time got a little ugly. It made for a really bad following week. :(

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Why don't you enrol at a muay thai gym and learn and then in a year or so, you'll be able to teach them the basic strikes.

8. Combat Sports

That is part of the plan. I need to find one first. I have a couple of possible leads.

9. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Child MMA is a pretty undeveloped market. If you build a cage in your yard, you never know what the commercial applications could be. You might be the next Dana White!

10. Combat Sports

Heh, well...

The kids have voiced an interest in Youth Pankration. Depending on the age group the rules change but for kids their age it's no head shots, light contact meant to score points. (You can't win by knockout), they wear hand and leg gear. You can win by submission. That's a long way off though. But there is none in Michigan and they would have to travel to participate.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-wTer9ZoqA"]Aalijah Pineda Badgefight March 2nd - YouTube[/ame]

11. Combat Sports

Rules here:

http://www.fightleague.org/uploads/USFL_RULEBOOK.pdf

Some of these kids are really, really good. I talked to the president of the organization and they have had very few injuries. It's basically like doing competitive grappling and point sparring like they do in TKD wrapped together.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I like the "two children enter, one child leaves" model better.

13. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

There's a lot of really great videos online that show how to throw proper punches, combos, footwork, etc.

14. Moi

Better to have correct instruction from day one. Bad habits are easy to develop but not as easy to lose

15. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Well yes, I do agree there, but as far as throwing punches, rotating and pivoting, etc. there's plenty of good stuff out there. It's harder to find good boxing instruction actually for it being around for such a long time. I have yet to find a single one... I know OF them, but I can't find them, and the one guy has 3 kids, helps coach football, and so he doesn't have the time which I understand and I only have one little one.