Target Focus Training

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Putrid, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Anyone tried this?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Ot6d8CMDI"]How To Fight, The Art of Head Trauma, Dumps, Drops & Throws - YouTube[/ame]

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

...so, we clearly have some people there who:

have never taken an anatomy lesson
    have never been struck in the groin
    have never been struck on the shoulder
    have never been thrown

It's not the worst self defence video I've ever seen, but it's probably in the top 10.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Use of force anyone?

Not even going to bother with the rest but, assuming it all goes as planned, I'd like to see how you'd explain that to the law.

5. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Nope,he dosen't know his anatomy and the name he used was daft,but so what? He isn't training to become a doctor and will never make a living as an advertising executive..All he is doing is training to punch someone in the head as hard as possible and is doing a pretty good job.But this thread isn't about him,its about that clip I posted and in my opinion it is completely unworkable.Its just based on assumptions.Many years ago I remember a woman falling off her horse during an event and breaking both collar bones.She remounted and finished the course.According to Mr Larkin her arms should have been hanging at her side and completely useless.

6. Mangosteen

my wonder is why they have an anatomy chart on the wall.
    this vid is unworkable like putrid said.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

1. Why kick to the groin with the ball of the foot and so limit striking area? Surely the shin/instep would be better?

2. Are we sure a forearm strike will break the collarbone? Twice?

3. Once someone has got "crushed testicles" and is apparently unable to use either arm, why in the name of Wotan would you choose to drop to the floor with them? Why not just sweep them onto their face?

4. Once someone has got "crushed testicles" and is apparently unable to use either arm, why in the name of Wotan wouldn't you just high tail it out of Dodge before his friends turn up?

5. Why, given all the incapacities heaped upon his apparently helpless opponent, did he fail to "Re-stomp the groin?"

Mitch

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

soooo, disregarding the fact that those were the silliest "forearm strikes" i've ever seen, and wouldn't do squat even if they were the main available option, plus what everyone else already said... why not just elbow the guy in the face repeatedly?

9. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

For those not aware the method is called Target Focused Training.Its not a name I made up,it was created by Mr Larkin.

10. holyheadjch

Even so, getting booted in the groin does not mean you stand there like a ninny. The last time I got caught flush without a cup it brought me to my knees, but it didn't paralyse me and it wouldn't have meant I stood by whilst someone tried to do me over.

Also, has anyone ever tried to kick someone in the groin from standing face to face. You'd have to be able to kick really fast to get there without a reaction from your opponent. I'm pretty sure most of the time you'd either move enough to minimise the impact or you'd get a hand down to block/dampen it.
    I'm sure it wouldn't.
    1) Collar bones are weak and fragile - by bone standards - but they're not brittle.
    2) They're kind of flush to the chest - at least mine are - so the forearm is probably the least effective part of the body to strike with. A lot of the impact is going to be caught on the chest or on the traps. Why not use your fist? Better reach, better power transfer. I'd favour the hammer fist. I think if you caught it right with a big downward sweeping movement you could maybe crack a clavicle 30-40% of the time.
    3) I broke my collarbone training Judo when I was 13 - it hurt like nothing else I've experienced. It was agony. And as I spend a lot of time at motorcycle race meetings, I've probably seen more broken collarbones than anyone who doesn't work at a hospital. They're painful, but they're not debilitating.
    4) They don't fulfil the kind of vital function that the guy in the video suggest. When you break your collarbone, the treatment is a collar and cuff for 6 weeks. That's it. It's pretty rare to break it so badly that it needs fixing back together. I know guys whose collarbones are in three, four separate pieces. They're the appendix of the skeleton.
    Don't go trying to apply logic to it. This isn't about self defence. This is about looking good on youtube.

11. Mangosteen

This is what a 12-6 elbow is for

12. holyheadjch

13. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

There is no guarantee that a kick to the groin will be effective.I lost count of the amount of times I was kicked in the groin in seventies karate competitions.We didn't wear groin guards in those days and contact was commonplace.Due to the adrenaline you just took a deep breath and carried on and only when really heavy contact had been made was a match stopped.The other factor is that the groin is very hard to kick,especially when you are scared and can't target properly.Most of the contact in karate was when people copped a front kick as they charged in with a punch.

I can't see why anyone would want to fall flat on their back on concrete and risk severe head injuries.Plus there is the risk that one of his mates will have a game of football with your head as you do "good work" on the floor.

Mr Larkin was on a BBC talk show giving it the big one about teaching people how to kill.I wonder how many people he has killed with his bare hands?

I think that says everything.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  14. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Its the same guy.He was in Slough a few years ago when they had minor disturbances.

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Larkin is a flake and the system based on the massively flawed premise that striking point (a) will always elicit response (b)

Like so many other "secret systems' they are aimed at the cognescenti, and they thrive because 99% of people will never actually need these "skills" so they never get tested appropriately. This is why so many poor training methods have existed for so long and why MMA was a massive wake-up call to so many

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I always loved that one! "In Traditional Martial Arts you are taught to kill, Sport Martial Arts are not".

Lul.

17. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I have always found that one a bit strange.How come its always boxers who die after being hit by boxers rather than traditional martial artists who accidentally collect a "lethal " blow.

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well to be fair, boxing isn't designed to kill, unless you're holding knives like the Filipinos :p

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Nor is karate, TKD or any other impact based art - it is all smoke and mirrors usually put out by people who cannot fight a lick and need a handy explanation for why

20. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

That was truly horrid. If I ever face a "trained" fighter in an alley, I hope it's one of these guys.