Taoist Tai Chi

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by BazC, Feb 23, 2008.

1. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

BacZ started this thread-over a year ago.Hasn't posted since this thread.

Neo-welcome to MAP.

It's a good idea to see how old someone's query is before responding.

2. bhaung

bhaung New Member

Tai Chi Taoist Form DVD

Hi There is a new DVD that shows the taoist form as developed by Master Moy Lin-shin you can go to www.moytaichi.org to order it. It's wonderful and very helpful.

3. bhaung

bhaung New Member

Black dwarf

if you go to www.moytaichi.org they have locations in the UK and it's the Taoist form as developed by Master Moy

4. bhaung

bhaung New Member

Tai Chi Taoist Form DVD

Hi There is a new DVD that shows the taoist form as developed by Master Moy Lin-shin you can go to www.moytaichi.org to order it. It's wonderful and very helpful.

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

See post 141

6. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Thread necro!

Just to save me starting another thread for the sake of an unimportant question.

When I did taoist tai chi, during brush knee I was told a lot of beginners lean back to turn the foot out before stepping forward. Made sense to me to do that so there was less resistance against the ankle, but then I spose you don't strengthen joints without resistance of some sort.

Thing is I've seen yang videos where the practitioner does lean back to turn the foot out.

Is Taoist tai chi "wrong", or is it just different ways of doing the same thing?

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

"leaning back" is not really the right description. In some styles you shift your weight back into a rear stance and turn the foot out. It's a transitional movement, some styles have you 'hold the ball' in this transitional posture for example. Other styles turn the foot out some without shifting to a rear stance first (they may just shift aliitle onto the front heel allowing the toe out), others don't turn the foot out or transition to a rear stance at all eg. Wu style.

None of them are wrong, as you say different ways of doing things.

8. Hatamoto

Sorry, you're right, i mean shifting the weight back, didn't word it well.

I haven't gone through this whole thread, think I lost the plot around page 4, but they also lean forward with the body (actual lean, now, not just shifting weight) so there's a straight line down the back and back leg. This put me off and two other tai chi teachers told me it's bad for posture. What do you make of that idea? I read the head should be suspended as if by a thread from above and the trunk erect pretty much at all times. Again, just different, or is this bad form? I wanna check because my mother loved those classes but won't go by herself. I wanna know if anything they do is likely to cause her more problems with her back and knees coz as it is she struggles to walk far.

Thanks some more.

Edit: here's a video of the form as it's supposed to be done, to save me asking individual questions. The next class is tomorrow, I'd really appreciate if anyone would take a look at this and let me know if there's anything risky in it. Very much grateful for the help.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PKWaECjf-I[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

It's fine. it is common amongst Wu and most Yang styles have this forward "lean" too. It's only a problem if the front line allignment is off. By this I mean the line between the front foot, front knee and head. This line should not be leaning forward. it is perfectly natural posture for the line up the rear leg and back to be "leaning"..

the head can still be "suspended" from above..

just different

It looked fine, in that I didn't see anything that would be injurious in any way or cause problems praticed over time. He does over extend in some postures, which would be a problem in a martial context. In terms of exercise though, it looks ok.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  10. Hatamoto

Thanks a lot :) I like to play with the potential applications but for my mother it's just exercise to get her stronger and more flexible. Will give her the good news, thanks for your help.

11. Puzzled Dragon

Puzzled Dragon Valued Member

Hi,

I also did not see anything harmful to health. Some stretching, or overextending, yes, but for exercise just as well. :rolleyes:

12. AmericanFighter

AmericanFighter Valued Member

when the knee gets out o line with the toes and when the knee goes past the toes it can cause problems down the road.