Taoist Tai Chi question

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by fear, Aug 16, 2005.

1. fear

fear New Member

Hey,

i was wondering if i could get some insight into this since there is going to be a class taught nearby but it's only a demo sort of thing for a couple of days or atleast that's what i get from the article. I've been in TKD my whole life so learning somthing new sounds fun just want to know if it will be worth it. here is the article.

"The ancient Chinese art of Taoist Tai Chi will be taught in Alexander City for the first time this fall when Diane McFarland will teach a class beginning the first Tuesday in September.

Taoist Tai Chi has only been in North America for 35 years.

"Master Moy Lin-shin emigrated from China to Canada in 1970," McFarland said. "And he started the Taoist Tai Chi Society soon after.

"It is now taught in 25 different countries, and Tuskegee and Montgomery were the closest places it was taught until now."

McFarland said Taoist Tai Chi is not a normal martial art.

"It's based on the martial arts," McFarland said. "Taoist Tai Chi is not competitive, while other forms of Tai Chi are."

McFarland said she has been involved with the Society since 2002.

"I first began attending classes about three years ago," McFarland said. "I was promoted to an instructor in May."

McFarland said she has been teaching in Tuskegee since her promotion.

McFarland said Tai Chi students have claimed the art has the ability to improve one's health in a number of different ways.

"None of this has been scientifically documented," McFarland said. "But people who participate in it have reported that Tai Chi has aided in the management of diabetes.

"We know that it will definitely improve flexibility, increase leg strength, improve circulation of both blood and lymphatic fluids and relieve stress. That is probably the biggest positive from it."

McFarland said muscle increase is due to the slow movements in different positions that cause people to keep their balance and stabilize themselves for long periods of time.

"In Tuskegee, we have a 92-year-old man who takes the class and is in great shape for a man his age," McFarland said.

McFarland said while the class will be held at the HEA Building on the campus of CACC, this is not a college class.

"Anyone who wants to come is invited to attend," McFarland said. "It doesn't matter the person's age or fitness level, we would love to have them come out and participate."

The class begins Sept. 6, and registration will be during the first class period.

McFarland said she plans to teach 108 different Taoist Tai Chi motions with the help of her assistant Ruth Deramus, but they will teach as much as they can depending on the class's learning. "

Thanks for any help you can give

2. awakened nature

awakened nature chi or pins and needles?

'taoist tai chi'...........thats the name? Bit vague unless hes talking about wudang tai chi.
    Any chance of a website?

3. fear

fear New Member

no clue all it says is taoist tai chi i guess they figured nobody would know the differnce.

4. Gasg

Gasg Valued Member

Ok i don't practice tai chi, so i might be way off here.

"I first began attending classes about three years ago," McFarland said. "I was promoted to an instructor in May."

Isn't 3 years pretty quick to be teaching? Then again, she might be really amazing for all i know.

5. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

Good point from Gasg there... also 108 movements... hmmm perhaps the Yang long form with new wrapping...???

6. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

Its probably the Taoist Tai Chi Society.

They base their practice around the yang style. Focus is mainly on form and health, although I do hear that they have an extended curriculum that does involve more martial aspects.

With only three years of practice, she could teach people the form, but I'd doubt the quality of understanding. Might be an ok way to start, but then you'd realy need to find a more experienced teacher.

7. fear

fear New Member

yeah i was thinking that but the nearest school that teaches tai chi is to far away. So think i should try it out just as a intro then?

8. middleway

middleway Valued Member

Ref .. time training.

when people hear three years they generally think. 3 years a couple of times a week .... maybe.

But maybe she learned for 3 years every day for 6 hours?? ya never know.

And this would give her more experience than somone that had done the art for 15 years once or twice a week.

Not defending her ... dont know who she is ... but it is worth considering this.

The best way to find out is to go along and see. You an experienced TKD guy. you should know if she has skill.

Kind Regards
    Chris

9. trei

trei New Member

I thought all Tai Chi was Taoist (Tai Chi is a Taoist term). Can anyone tell me about a non-Taoist Tai Chi?

10. trei

trei New Member

I'm afraid this is not quite correct. Please refer to International Journal of Cardiology article "Tai Chi for chronic heart failure". Also The Journal of Science and Healing volume 1 issue 3 - article by Murphy et. al. Also European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing Volume 3 issue 4, American Journal of Medicine Volume 117 Issue 8, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Volume 85 issues 5, 9 and 10. Note these are all recent western journals - it has been studied academically for much longer in China. There are many other references also. By now the scientific documentation is quite extensive.

11. Shadowdh

Oh no... dont open that barrel of semantics....

Tai Chi and Taijiquan are not quite the same apparantly... do a search there have been many semantical discussions regarding the difference (?)...

As for non Daoist Taijiquan... I practice Chen style as a MA... also historically Taijiquan was not a Daoist art... it was a MA..

12. trei

trei New Member

I think you have a good ability to predict an argument coming on. Well forestalled. Fortunately I have no opinion as I don't do Taijiquan :) The Chinese art that I study, Fanziquan, is both Taoist and a martial art, and Buddhist as well - we don't have any problem with it being all of these at the same time. But I think you're right not to go down this avenue as it could get a bit pointless (e.g. definition of "martial" along with definition of "Taoist" will vary from person to person ). When people argue, I think very often they're assuming different meanings of the same words before they start. So, I should go train rather than talk :)

13. Shadowdh

Nice post Trei... :D ;)

14. StillWalking

StillWalking New Member

Yup, still here, still reading, still learning, still loving Taoist Tai Chi.

The way it works within TTCS is that you go to a "beginners" class for 3 to 6 months (depending on the area you live, the abilities of the class etc) to learn the basic movement "choreography" of the set, then move into a "continuing" class which is taught by a instructor with more experience and understanding where you start to work more deeply. You can then attend workshops with instructor who are more experienced still...

Beginners instructors within the TTCS are only accredited to teach at beginner level. I don't personally don't like the phrase "promoted to instructor" but that's just me. We don't have promotions. You have to be accredited. You have to apply. You have to be watched. You need to not only be able to do the form, but also show some understanding of the TTCS, how it works and the principles it is founded on.

Anyway, two other TTCS threads for the original poster to peruse (so I won't repeat myself and bore everyone...)

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6765
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30405

TTC is not for everyone. If you are interested in the martial aspect you'll be missing out. We don't focus on that at all...the theory is there if you want it, but we don't specifically practice it. If you're interested in the health benefits, and helping others, then TTC is great.

My opinion only.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  15. fear

fear New Member

thanks for the information all

i'm still deciding on wheter or not to go but so far i think i will since it's not a full class it can just try it out incase a real class does come i know what i will be in for if i go.

thanks i'll check them out