Taoism and indulgence

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Steel Accord, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Steel Accord

Steel Accord Valued Member

So I was watching the Marco Polo short film about Hundred Eyes and I was reminded that even though Hundred Eyes is an ascetic to some extent, his orders permit him to drink or lay with women should he desire. (Moreso the former than the latter it seems.)

I confess, I'm not as familiar with the specifics of a taoist priest's clerical orders like I am with that of Buddhism's.

So why exactly does the Way discovered by Lao Tzu allow it's strictest adherents to indulge in certain pleasures?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  2. runcai

runcai Valued Member

There are many sects but you can check out the China Taoist Association web-site, which is a proper organization approved by the Government. Lao Zi only written some 5000 words Dao De Jing which has nothing to do with religion.

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Balance.

4. old palden

old palden Valued Member

It's a television show, none of its representations are necessarily correct.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  5. Mianbao shifu

Mianbao shifu Just standing around

There have been multiple sects of Taoism over the centuries, but today there are really only 2. Quanzhen Taoism who do not marry and are celibate, vegetarian, who live in monasteries. And then there is Zhengyi Taoism whose priests can marry, eat meat, live in their own homes.

I have no doubt that amongst the hundreds of sects that have existed throughout Chinese history that there were those that could be with women and those that could not.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  6. PODCOAWNOE

PODCOAWNOE New Member

maybe you should ask The Dao Bums on The Dao Bums forum

7. PODCOAWNOE

PODCOAWNOE New Member

If you can tolerate the hierarchy & trolls of any forum .

8. nikiti

nikiti New Member

Tao is not exactly a religion, rather a way of life and in life you must have balance. I prefer Tao over religion as I believe religions suppress your inner ego and character.