Tanto Kata

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by hext, May 23, 2013.

1. hext

hext Valued Member

so..

I saw alot of weapons (& empty hand) kata last weekend at the wakarishin annual comp.

There were the usual katana, nunchucks, sai , bo, jo etc. which was really cool to see then out came some of the weapons I have no experience of; Naginata, iron fan? but it got me thinking..how come there is little to no Tanto kata?

Surely it was a readily available and common weapon?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Because the bjja has no connection to japan so all the weapon work is made up.

3. hext

hext Valued Member

fair enough that may explain why I didn't see any but not why I can't find much?

are there any good weapon kata resources?

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Koryu.

:D

Or you could have a quick look at the embu on YouTube. Don't expect to learn anything in the way of physical skills though.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSuNtVdcE-Y&sns=em"]MEIJI JINGU ENBU Extended Version by Empty Mind Films - YouTube[/ame]

If you want tanto or short blade work then look into kodachi kumiuchi, kogusoku and various old school ryu containing jujutsu.

Takenouchi-ryu would be a nice place to start.

The tanto, short blade would be used hand in hand :D with grappling techniques, there is plenty of kata but I don't think it's what you have in mind at the moment.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  5. Dean Winchester

For Tessen look at:

Takenouchi-ryu
    Katayama-ryu koshi no mawari
    Kiraku-ryu
    Ikkaku-ryu
    Araki-ryu
    Hoten-ryu
    Kukishin-ryu
    Shibukawa-ryu
    Kurama Yoshin-ryu
    Yagyu Shingan-ryu
    Kashima Shin-ryu

Thanks to Steve Delaney (Kogusoku) for the list.

If you can see some tessen techniques by these schools then I'd wager you'd notice a difference to what you saw in the iron fan demos.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  6. Dean Winchester

Actually you'll probably notice a difference in all the weapons.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Your using the wrong terms, see deans posts.

8. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

As Dean already mentioned, you're just not looking in the "right places" (those can be harder to find perhaps, so no worries)..

My school has a load of "tanto" waza...Although I wouldn't use the term "tanto" to describe the blade we use for them....

There are 25 kata using the knife in the omote, 53 in the ura, and about 15 in the ko-ura sets...Covering a fairly wide range of situations with a shorter than katana length blade...

There aren't many videos of it, because it's not aimed at teaching without having a teacher to show you, but there are videos out there, and they can be found with a search I suspect...

Interesting to watch I'd say, but unless you train in the school, not entirely "useful" perhaps..

9. hext

hext Valued Member

This helps a lot, thanks gents

I'm getting far more searches results now..also some escrima and Kempo stuff which is an interesting contrast