[Tang Soo Do] Your Favorite TSD Hyung?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by PsiCop, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

Yeah what Yossarian75 said. I can confirm that the UKTSDF definately includes the Chil Sung forms. Here's a link to their website

http://www.uktsdf.org.uk/about/main.htm

It's the same with all MAs - there tends to be a wide diversity in the syllabus content between organisations. Not necessarily a bad thing but you'd hope that all organisations teach the core forms/techniques.

2. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

Oops my mistake, Chinto is the Japanese pronounciation(been reading too much karate forums), my school calls it Jinto like yours. Ive seen lots of ways of pronouncing Bassia-Passai/pal che/Pal Chek, I think Bassia is the Japanese name, perhaps Passai is the correct Korean way to say this.

3. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Interesting, Yossarian. You're right that the language variations could be different as well. Another random question: Naihanji orginates from Japan, yes? I read it was adopted by Hwang Kee, but slightly altered to fit TSD.

4. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

True, some Karate styles version of Naihanchi(Tekki) are practically identical to the TSD version, some(the Okinawan versions) are very different. They all seem to have the same basic pattern of moves, its how they are executed that varies. Google some Karate kata vids and see, its quite interesting to note the differences/similarities.

5. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

The forms we have learned and still practice? I have learned a couple of weapons forms (listed) that I don't train with too much. I think I could still pull them off though.

Tang Soo Do
    Ki Cho 1-3
    Pyung Ahn 1-5
    Bassai So
    Bassai Dai
    Naianchi 1-3
    Ship Su
    Jin Do
    Ra Hei
    Kung San Koon
    Wang Shu
    Sei San
    Jion

Chil Sung Ee Rho
    Chil Sung Ill Rho
    Chil Sung Sahm Rho

Bong Hyung 1-3
    Tanto Hyung

Tae Kwon Do
    Tae Gyuk 1-8
    Palgwe 1-8
    Koryo
    Keumgang
    Taebaek
    Pyungwon
    Sipjin

6. chrischris

chrischris New Member

How many chil sung forms are there?

7. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

There are 7 that I know of. The story goes, the Chil Sung (seven stars of the Plough) Hyung was devised by Grand Master Hwang Kee in the latter half of the 1980s. It is so called because Grand Master Hwang Kee's mother was said to have dreamt about the seven stars of the Plough prior to conceiving Hwang Kee. It contains a large number of moves, many of which are found only within this Hyung. Chil Sung Hyung symbolises the stars.

Chil Sung Ill Rho
    Chil Sung Ee Rho
    Chil Sung Sahm Rho
    Chil Sung Sa Rho
    Chil Sung O Rho
    Chil Sung Yuk Rho
    Chil Sung Chil Rho

8. chrischris

chrischris New Member

is there a site where these forms are demonstrated? master mchenry doesnt do them, i htink theyre excellent forms, well one and two, the only ones ive seen/perfomed. really enjoyed tho

9. PsiCop

Does anyone else find it strangely odd that Chil Sung Il Ro is much more complicated than Chil Sung E Ro? If I didn't know any better, I'd say E Ro was a beginner/intermediate form, whereas Il Ro is very precise and internal... Certainly a more advanced form. Is there a reason for this?

10. chrischris

chrischris New Member

i asked the same question, i was told they were learned them as E then Il because of the degree of difficulty.. idunno tho

11. PsiCop

Yes, some of the students in my school learned E Ro before Il Ro as well. You'd think they should have been switched to reflect more appropriate levels of difficulty.

12. chrischris

chrischris New Member

it ceratinly would make more sense. i prefered E ro as well, i thought it was a much better form - im no good with forms that require the moving/pushing thing.. uh whats it called?

13. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

I only graded to a Green belt in TSD and Chil Sung Ill Ro was part of that grading. I never studied E Ro at all.

14. PsiCop

Chris, it's a visual representation of internal energy. Since we study a very external martial art, such movements can be a bit foreign to us. However, it is still necessary to include some "soft" techniques to be more well-rounded. It's the same principle as Uhm and Yang on the Korean flag. Half of it is red, the other half blue. For all the hard external techniques (red), there must be balance in the soft internal techniques (blue).

15. chrischris

chrischris New Member

ive learned more about my art online through this forum than i have in my dojang. as great as my instructor is, he doesnt teach much terminology to us (well me, i dunno bout the blackbelts)

on a side/differnet note, i booked my star wars tickets for the 19th at 11am and then i got an email saying i had an exam at 12, so i had to rebook them for 9pm, then i had an email saying it was resceduled for the 17th!
    that was annoying.
    lol at least im not the only tang soo do star wars fan :)

16. PsiCop

Hehe, right on Chris. I have mine for IMAX at midnight... I'm a lucky man. I have to look at the ticket at least once a day lol.

As for the terminology and history, it's more or less your personal responsibility to look into it if you're interested. Sometimes they will ask you questions about that if you're testing for a high rank or for Kyo Sa Nim, but that depends on the school and organization.

17. chrischris

chrischris New Member

yea, ive read the manual and whatnot, but half the stuff he asks (why is the fist gold in our logo?) is not in there. it gets frustrating!

18. PsiCop

It symbolizes purity.... Oh, eh, *ahem* *cough cough*

Well, in that case just study more online.

19. chrischris

chrischris New Member

i do look, but i dont know what exactly is relative to me!

20. PsiCop

Then perhaps try speaking with your instructor about it. Let him know your concerns.