[Tang Soo Do] Your Favorite TSD Hyung?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by PsiCop, Apr 20, 2005.

1. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Which hyung is your personal favorite? There's many to choose from, from Gi Cho Hyung, to Kong San Goon Hyung.

My favorite would have to be Jin Do. It's fast, strong, and takes many of the best aspects of the art and combines them into a beautiful form.

My second favorite would probably be Chil Sung Il Ro Hyung, because it's one of the softest forms in all of TSD.

;)

2. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

Jin Do is my next hyung(got my e dan test in a couple of months), I have seen it performed and have to admit it looks rather nice. My fav has to be Naihanchi Cho Dan as this is the hyung I understand the applications for the best. For pure looks id have to go with Chil Sung ill ro, I must admit Im stumped for applications for this one, opening moves anyone?

3. MALibrarian

MALibrarian Valued Member

No question: Rohai

SUCH a beautiful form... then again, I'm a sucker for jumping into single leg stances.

4. PsiCop

Yes, Ro Hai is very nice as well. As for the application of the beginning moves of Chil Sung Il Ro, I believe it is some sort of push.

5. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

I'm not sure I have a favorite. It depends on my mood a lot. RoHai is agreat form, and I enjoy performing it. I enjoy Shipsui a lot when I am in a more philosophical mood, but Sahsun is a great form too. And when I am just working out and feeling like focusing on technique - form 1 is a great place to start.

6. PsiCop

All right, Andy has it based on his mood. I think we can all relate to that. Naihanji can be good if one is angry :)

7. WKJ30

WKJ30 New Member

Mine is Ji-On and Wang-Shu but , Kong San Goon is cool it has alittle of every thing in it hard for me to choose. :bang:

8. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

I enjoy Wang-Shu a lot too. It is a very graceful form with a good amount of challenge. I haven't really taken a shine to Jion, I am not sure why, but it just doesn't make me excited.

9. TangSooRed

TangSooRed New Member

I like Hwa Sun alot, I also like Kong Song Koon, Chinto, Rohai, out of the Chil Sons I like Il Rho and Sa Rho, have to say I'm sick of seeing and performing Chil Son O Rho

10. PsiCop

I've actually never even seen Chil Sung 5-7. Are they like the others?

11. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I've returned to this thread a number of times, and still can't make my mind up between Pyung Ahn Ee Dan and Chil Sung Il Ro. Both good, but very different.

I think the appeal of P/A Ee Dan is the fact it was totally different to the 'beginning' stuff (including P/A Il Dan there, as I felt it pulled the basic forms together).

The Chil Sung has a completly different feel to it. It also seems to put a heck of a strain on my knee joints (or am I just doing it wrong :( )

I know - there are plenty of higher grade Hyungs that I haven't got my hands on yet - I'm currently trying to keep Ba Sa straight in my mind - so maybe I should revisit this thread next year ;)

12. WKJ30

WKJ30 New Member

I have always wanted to learn Chil Sung forms look pretty cool.

13. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

I used to love doing Chil Sung Il Ro.

14. chrischris

chrischris New Member

I like Pyung Ahn E Dan.

Can someone list all the forms that you study? i think theyre much different (at least name wise) over here in the uk.

15. PsiCop

Gi Cho 1-3
    Pyong Ahn 1-5
    Chil Sung 1-4
    Passai 1-2
    Naihanji 1-3
    Jin Do
    Ro Hi
    Sip Soo

..... Those are up through 2nd Degree Black Belt. Considering the organization is still relatively young (about 8 or 9 years), E Dan is the highest rank of any student, although a few of the vets are testing for Sam Dan this fall.

16. chrischris

chrischris New Member

we here in britain do differently... and spell i think too.

kee cho 1-3
    pyung ahn 1-5
    pal che so
    pal che de
    kima hyung cho dan
    sip soo (first black belt form you learn)
    kima hyung e dan
    jin te
    kima hyung sam dan
    ro hai
    kong son de

my teache rused to do the chil sung forms, but he was under teh impression there were only 4. he did teach us the first two chil sung froms, but that was jsut for a lesson...

how come british tang soo do is much different? the chil sung forms are way better than the rest!!!

17. chrischris

chrischris New Member

also, there are bong hyung too i didnt put in there... but you didnt either so i skipped em lol

18. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

chrischris

Its not British Tang Soo Do thats different, its your association. You will find that the different TSD orgs do things a bit differently from each other. There is at least one org in the UK that do the Chil Sung forms that I know of. Your form list seems to be the same as most TSD schools. The names are different ie Bassia=Pal Che, Kima hyung=Naihanchi but they are the core TSD forms.

Hak Won 1-3 (variation of WTSDA Sae Kai hyung)
    Pyung Ahn 1-5
    Bassai dai
    Naihanchi Cho dan
    Sip Soo
    Naihanchi Ee dan
    Naihanchi Sam Dan
    Chinto
    Rohai
    Kong Sang Koon

19. chrischris

chrischris New Member

ah excellent, thank you :)

20. PsiCop

I noticed on more than one occasion that you have "chinto" as one of your forms. We practice Jin Do, and from the books I've seen and the way I've heard it pronounced in a couple of TSD organizations, Jin Do is the only one I have seen. Are they the same form? Perhaps it's a difference based on the organization or area.

I also noticed Passai (Bassai) and Pal Che being the same form pronounced differently. We used to pronounce it Pal Che ("pou-che"), but then changed it to Passai. The master said it was the correct pronounciation. Is anyone sure what the correct pronounciation is on these two forms, since the variations on both are very common?