[Tang Soo Do] What to say

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Winter, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Winter

Winter New Member

I've just started Tang Soo Doo (well about a month) and am really enjoying it but i'm a bit lost with the korean the class say. A lot i can find on TSD web sites but I cannot find what to say when everyone bows, it sounds a bit like 'soo na'? can anyone tell me what it is?

2. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Winter - I believe they are probably saying "Thank you" which in Korean is "komapsumnida" (koe-mop-ssume-nee-dah). It is great that you ask the question rather than go on not knowing. It would be even better if you ask people in your class. There is nothing wrong with not knowing, or asking. Yes, it can be tough to ask, but there is a huge lesson in it. As yuor studies progress you will learn that humility does not mean weakness. Have the strength to humble yourself and ask those question you are uncomfortable asking. It takes a strong person to do that.

Good luck - Tang Soo.

3. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Hey Winter, dont feel to silly not knowing, I felt exactly the same when I started, loved the class but was spun right out by all the korean talk.. Starts making "more" sense after a few months :)

4. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Don't worry too much about the Korean at the moment you will pick it up, it just takes a while. I still have trouble with it after eight years :D

5. Winter

Winter New Member

thanks for all your responses.

Tang Soo!

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

...and "chinese hands" to you too!

:confused: