[Tang Soo Do] What is the name of...

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Cuchulain4, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

What is the name of the really slow TSD form that you learn around 3rd gup? And is there a clip of it? I want to show it to my friend who does taijiquan and see if sees any resemblance.

2. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Must be one of the Chil Sung forms, since my org doesnt do them I have no idea when they are taught. I do know the first two and Chil Sung Ill Ro(first one) is quite slow in parts and does resemble Taiji. I studied Taiji for a year a while back and the opening moves can definately be found in either Sun or Yang(cant remember which I did a bit of both) basic forms. Im afraid i dont know any sites that have this form on video.

Come to think of it Sip Soo has some slow parts but imo is nothing like Taiji.

3. AdamR

AdamR Kwan Soo

That would make sense. To the best of my knowledge, we're taught Chil Sung Ee Ro at around 6th gup, and then Chil Sung Il Ro up around 3rd.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  4. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Chil Sung Il Ro is the one im thinking of. I cant find a clip if it anywhere tho. Anyone got one?

5. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

I have a video of Master Mac doing Chil Sung Ill Ro on my computer. If you PM with your e-mail address ill send it to you, its only 2 meg.

6. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

The guy in the vid doesnt make it seem very taiji influenced. He seems to have quite a hard style. Some of the girls in my class make it look really graceful.

So how come you dont do the chil sung's at your dojang?

7. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

We dont do the Chil Sungs or Yuk Ro hyung because we are from the WTDSA lineage and they never adopted them, we just do the Pyung ahns/bassai/naihanchi/karate hyung. I think it depends on when the org founder left the MDK. I learned the first two at a seminar a few years back and just practice them for fun.

Thats probably because of differences in orgs again, over the years ive seen a lot of variation in the way our Hyung are performed. Some have been almost as tense and hard as Shotokan, im sure I do them slightly different to you.

Yeh girls are good at that, again its probably the way your org practices them. thats the way I was shown them anyway.

8. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Yeah its probably differance in orgs and me only having seen girls perform it so far. Plus i have been watching a lot of taiji forms lately. Those things make ballet look like moshing.

9. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

The form we do 3rd gup is Pal Che So, this form is fast and slow. The animal that symbolizes this form is the Snake, particularly the cobra which combines slow hypnotic movements with lightning-fast strikes of great accuracy.

The form originated in the So Rim Sa Kwon Bup style of the Ha Nam region of China. The name of its creator is unknown, but it is generally accepted to have been formed in the mid to late 16th century.
    KICKBOY 3rd Gup ITF Moo Duk Kwan

10. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Palchae is the Korean reading of the Chinese characters of the kata known as Bassai. It did not originate at Sorimsa (aka Shaolin Temple), and is not part of Sorimsa Gwonbeop (aka Shaolinsi Quanfa). It is not a Snake Style form.

Sorry my friend, but you've been told false information, the usual MDK propoganda.

11. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

you should really get paid for doing this everytime.

12. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

One of the great things about Moo Duk Kwan is that you don’t have to worry about propaganda, everything is spelled out for you, as a student my responsibility is to learn our correct definitions and in our Do Jang there is only one correct response, the one you have been thought.
    I apologize if I have misinformed anyone but the information given is correct in my Do Jang, and even though I believe my school is the best and my teachers are the best, I have complete respect for others and their opinions, I also hope all of you feel the same about you own schools, it would be a shame to invest yourself in something only wishing to be somewhere else. Tang Soo
    KICKBOY