[Tang Soo Do] what is tang soo do

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by grapplingfinest, May 11, 2006.

1. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

There are generally accepted rules for transliteration, such as Pinyin for Chinese or McHune-Reischer for Korean.

2. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

I thought we discussed your sig a while back. Subak, Soo Bahk Ki, or Soo Bahk Hee does not exist in its ancient form today, unless its been passed down for hundreds of generations in some backwater Korean family in the rice paddies back in the motherland that we don't know about.

Soo Bahk Do MDK is Tang Soo Do MDK + DJN Hwang Kee's interpretations of the Muye Dobo Tong Ji. There is no unbroken lineage of student-teacher in ancient Soo Bahk that leads to your current day Soo Bahk Do MDK or your current TSD MDK.

And even if there was some link to ancient Subak in either TSD MDK or SBD MDK, the way they practice it today, there is no way it would account for 60%. It is more like 80% Okinawan/Japanese karate, and 20% other.

3. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

As i said, its how the MDK explain it.

4. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Its a shame that we dont practice sparring like that at my class. I can see why though, it sounds like a lot of hassle when it comes to insurance. I would love to try fighting using Kyok style rules (im too pretty to get my face bashed in :p ) Im going to uni this year so i might have to start a sparring group. :) ...

damn, im gonna get pwned :eek:

5. AdamR

AdamR Kwan Soo

It's drummed into us that 'if you break your toy, you can't play with it' :)

6. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

lol, yeah same here. I'm only 5'8 and 10st. i am the smallest guy in my class so i guess i should be grateful that we dont do FC...but still it would be fun. :D

7. MadMonk108

You can spar full contact and not get broken.

Boxers, kickboxers, MTers...and even old school Taekwondoers do it all the time without getting broken.

The excuse that hitting each other is too dangerous may stand true for kids, but adults with a sense of control and proper training can learn to spar each other without serious injury. And it's not like you go all out every time you spar.

I'll take someone who engages in FC training over 99% of the Korean Karate practitioners out there.

8. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

The BB's at my school spar pretty hard. They often knock the wind out of eachother, and if i leave my self open i will often take a body shot to let me know, so that i will learn. There are some really tough guys there, but yeah i totally agree that someone who has trained in FC would have a big advantage.

9. EternalRage

Hrmm, well I am in the association headed by KJN H.C. Hwang - I'm not saying their word is the gospel truth by any means or that we should all just blindly follow them - but not even the original MDK explains it that way...

10. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Okay well its how Grandmaster K U Lee explains it.

http://www.uktsdf.org.uk/about/about.htm

11. MadMonk108

And...he's wrong...or at least his webmaster is...

No personal offense though. He's probably just echoing what was told to him.

12. EternalRage

Yeah I have his book. Everything was great except the history section. So DJN Hwang Kee explains Tang Soo Do (Soo Bahk Do) Moo Duk Kwan in one fashion, and then his student explains it differently? The founder and also a majority of his students aside from KJN Kang Uk Lee seem to explain TSD without a 60% Soo Bahk factor.

"Tang Soo Do is both a hard and soft style, deriving its hardness in part from Soo Bahk and its soft flowing movements from the northern Chinese systems."

And this simply makes no sense, seeing as how most of the Soo Bahk techniques in the system seem to be more soft and flowing - KJN Kang Uk Lee did not leave the Federation until well after the name change and new material were established in the original Moo Duk Kwan in 1960, he should have gotten the same TSD/SBD as everyone else.

13. EternalRage

The only way he could accurately state that TSD MDK is 60% Soo Bahk is if after he left the original Moo Duk Kwan, he would have had to learn ancient Soo Bahk either by self education or teachings from an ancient Soo Bahk master, and then change his own curriculum so that 60% of what they teach is this new material he learned.

Judging from his book, videos, and students, this does not seem to be the case.

14. EternalRage

Yea... someone needs to send them a copy of the History of the Moo Duk Kwan by DJN Hwang Kee, where in it they talk about how the majority of the system was developed from books and how DJN Hwang Kee had to change the base system to a more karate-like system to get the public to accept it.

They must have missed the memo in the early 90s when the ugly history of MDK was released.

15. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I wonder why? I suppose either he is adament that the SooBahk influence is in there or perhaps he has difficulty accepting the Japanese influence, which of course is understandable.

16. MadMonk108

To a degree.

EternalRage is Korean, and he ain't down with the bullshinto.

17. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Yeah but im guessing Eternal Rage wasnt around during the Japanese occupation.

18. MadMonk108

True...

However, the creators of most the Korean Karate arts (who lived through the occupation) were not the ones who created the mythology. It was the later generation of masters.

19. EternalRage

Or, to make his TSD more marketable. Korean masters, when selling their product to foreigners, somehow got the idea that if they added a long rich heritage to their arts, it would give them the same mysticism as Shaolin Kung Fu or something equally as exotic to the layman.

Also, he's got various TKD, TSD, SBD, and other Korean mainstream arts linking themselves back to Silla dynasty and the flower boys. By saying there is ancient Subak in his system, it could be to match the competition.

20. monk-ki

monk-ki Monkey..Monk-ki...Get it?

Everyone here could learn alot from just a little reading. Their culture is different, so they view many things in ways you dont understand, yet. I said this on another thread, but read "Shotokan's Secret". It will explain away all of these debates ;)