[Tang Soo Do] Tang Sou Dao

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by SINNistER, Mar 26, 2009.

1. SINNistER

SINNistER Valued Member

Just wondering if many people train in Tang Sou Dao?

How does this style differ from Tang Soo Do?

Cheers

2. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

3. SINNistER

SINNistER Valued Member

how is this a fail?

From what I have read Tang Sou Dao is a style that was created from Tang Soo Do, Karate and Kung Fu.... which would mean it is different from some way from Tang Soo Do?

4. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

[​IMG]

5. SINNistER

SINNistER Valued Member

Wow, incredibly helpful, and intelligent as your first reply. Good work.
    Perhaps if I am missing something you would be so kind to point it out for me or are you saying that this website is incorrect?

http://www.tangsoudao.com/history.htm

Grandmaster Loke describes how he made Tang Sou Dau a new art from incorporating parts of other styles.
    I was wondering how much this style differed and how much of the other styles that it incorporates it are prevalent.

6. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

1. McDojo

2. Kung Fu is not a style.

3. Don't talk trash. I've been around these neck of the woods for a much longer time. If you didn't ask a stupid question, there would be no need for Depressing Epic Fail and Facepalm.

7. Topher

Topher allo!

Infrazael

I don't think your posts were helpful at all. I don't see now he was asking a stupid question or talking trash, more like the fact all he got was rather stupid replies from yourself! :rolleyes:

8. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

1. It was a stupid question.

2. Semantics don't mean much.

3. All the "different name" is is a variation of Korean translation into English. Akin to gongfu/kungfu, or jiu-jutsu/jujitsu/jujutsu.

4. It doesn't take a genius to figure out they are variant spellings.

5. The way you spell your system's name doesn't change the fact it's a McDojo.

6. I think my replies were quite amusing.

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Official warning - Infrazael, don't be a jerk to n00bs who are asking genuine questions. Just because something's obvious to someone who's "been around these neck of the woods for a much longer time" doesn't make it obvious to people who are new to martial arts.

Rather than being amusing, your responses paint you and this forum in a bad light.

10. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

Give him a break.... he's quitting smoking.... :p

Oh and hello to all those people who remember me and haven't seen me on a while. :D
    Carysb still on this site?

11. SINNistER

SINNistER Valued Member

I honestly don't believe I was talking trash, perhaps your a bit sensitive giving up smoking eh? I know it's hard to do myself but..

I'll say it again, wow, your posts are increasingly more helpfull and intelligent the more you share them with us.

Having been "around these neck of the woods" certainly hasn't rubbed you the right way it seems. I would have thought that someone who has claimed experience and knowledge would be happy to share this instead of being a ***** to new commers.

Perhaps my ignorance made me an easy target, which is something you seem to like, but I still don't think this made my question any less valid than others posted here.

As I said in my earlier post, the website claims this is a amalgamation of other martial arts and is a new style. I posted it on here to ask for others opinions on these claims, how is that stupid?

I also dont recall saying kung fu was a style, where did you get that from?

I would also like to know of other members opinions on what they think of this style and if the claims of Mc Dojo are accurate?

Oh and Infrazrael, I am sure you will have something to say about this response so I look forward to hearing from you again.

12. Capps

Capps Valued Member

Hi Sinnister. As far as Tang Sou Dao this is what I found

Tang Sou Dao is a form of Kungfu developed by Founder Grandmaster Meng Kwong Loke.

For all info and classes worldwide, please visit: http://www.tangsoudao.com

I hope this helps a little bit.

13. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

The general denotation of the term "kung fu" is misused for "Chinese martial arts." The actual meaning of the term "kung fu" means skill achieved through hard work. But for the purpose of this thread, we will say kung fu = CMA.

Now, this "Tan Sou Dou" is not a Chinese martial art. It has no resemblance to any Chinese martial art I am aware of. It seems to resemble more of the Korean/Japanese systems. To say it is a form of Chinese system? That is blasphemy. That is basically saying that Karate is a form of Muay Thai, or that Wing Chun is a form of Silat. It's arrogant, misplaced, ignorant, and downright disrespectful.

It is a McDojo because all the basic "signs" are there. Let me go a bit further . . .

Not really . . . that varied between different styles, schools and philosophies . . . some will make you do basics for years while others want you to fight within months . . .

That's awesome, I wasn't aware that it was possible to combine old and modern training methods. But it says only they practice it. How special. :rolleyes:

Most decent systems will teach you how to do that.

Sounds like tornado kicks, anti-grappling, and the usual works.

No CMA lineage tree. Warning, warning, warning!

Wow, over 300 black belts from one man? He must have pretty low standards.

Then in we have this:

So he was teaching Tan Soo Do . . . . and then:

So someone who learned some Mantis, Crane and Lohan in his haydays decided to combine very basic martial art fundamentals (which aren't even limited to Chinese systems) to his Tan Soo Do, then decided to name it "Tan Sou Dao/Tang Shou Dao." This is like chop suey martial art, a bit of everything thrown together.

14. SINNistER

SINNistER Valued Member

Thanks for your response, that was actually very helpfull

15. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

You're welcome, btw I didn't want to come off as an *******, but there is a lot of typical noob questions I see all the time. But going through his site carefully, I realize he just threw together a made up name, actually in Chinese, that sounds exactly like Tang Soo Do. For what reason? Probably marketing purposes.

But that is definitely not legitimate Chinese martial art, no matter what they say.

Actually remind me of Kempo/Kenpo such as that Ed Parker and USSD stuff.

16. SINNistER

SINNistER Valued Member

I am pretty sure while I was trolling through the old threads I saw some people who said they trained in this.
    I would be interested to hear what they have to say about it too.....anyone?

17. YellowFury

YellowFury Valued Member

I'm fairly certain (though I can only speak from anecdotal evidence) there's also a man teaching a system in taiwan called Tang Shou Dao... but this system teaches the internal arts, not korean ones.

18. YellowFury

YellowFury Valued Member

19. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Yes, the late Adam Hsu _(not he in San Francisco)-taught this in the States.As I recall,it's not a system but a school teaching Hsing I and such.

Angelus-Carys is here,but has a different moniker now.You'll find her often in the intro forum welcoming people.

While I did find the (Korean system based) TSD website to give the usual hype about their methods,(Infraz makes a lot of good points about those statements) , I thought it refreshing they actually say the exercises the patriarch supposedly made at the Shaolin Temple weren't the beginnings of CMAs.I'll give 'em a half point for that one.

Aaagh!I went to that blog.Hung I Hsiang's gang.How could I forget!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  20. SINNistER

SINNistER Valued Member

You know the more I read the website the more I can't help but think less of the claims of Mc Dojo.

I mean He doesnt claim to be the inventor of a style that is the best in the world and will turn people into killing machines or be able to protect themselves from a knife attack etc etc The style he has created claims to be more rounded.

He was graded as a 7th Dan in Tang So Do and he must have been good to earn that that . He has slightly modified a style to include elements that he finds benificial which mixes old with new. Now sure enough he makes a claim of that, but he doesnt say that he is the only person who has done so.

He has graded 300 black belts but from the sound of things he has been instruting from the '80's so you would think that he would have graded that many black belts over 20 years wouldn't you? This school appears to be very big in the Uk and a few other nations. There is actually a very cool clip on youtube aswell.

I don't mean to hang **** but I think that maybe people might be reading into it what they want or reading others comments instead of investigating the site themselves.

Now I am sure this might agitate but I really want this open for discussion(which I thank Infrazael for) instead of drifteing off mark.
    Cheers