[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do????

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by KarateKid1975, Aug 13, 2002.

1. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Hiya all.

I'm just wondering if there's any Tang Soo Do students here. How about a TSD thread, like there is for TKD, kenpo, karate, ect. Just a suggestion, Cooler :D hint, hint hehehehehe (I used to practice TSD, before I moved and I miss it. Just wanna chat with TSD peoples :) )

2. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

Tang Soo Do.

Sorry I don't parctice it, but having spent the greater part of my life living in Watford, I came across alot of TSD people.
    (UK headquarters Location is Watford.)

I hope nobody minds but I would like to give my opinion of TSD.
    If anyone objects to any point I make please feel free to comment or correct me.

OK.......Tang Soo Do.
    "The way of the China Hand".

Prior to the invention of Tae Kwon Do by the late General Choi, there were several loosely connected Korean systems, Mu Do Kwan, Chung do Kwan etc etc.
    Each of these systems had some traditional Korean MA content, but each was also influenced by Shotokan Karate. (taught to the Koreans during the Japenese occupation.)

When General Choi created TKD in the 50's most of the groups joined with him to create a standardised system AKA TaeKwonDo.
    However TSD chose not to join the new TKD and remained true to their traditions (however long they were!)

Modern day Tang Soo Do is very similar to Shotokan Karate.
    Many of the forms/patterns/kata still retain the Japanese names.
    However TSD does also contain more higher kicking techniques taken from the more traditional Korean systems.
    TSD also is involved in competition, yet it still seems to contain a greater amount of realistic technique and application than either shotokan or modern TaeKwonDo.

Heres one for discussion:
    I believe that TKD practitioners should have a look at TangSooDo, in it they might find what is slowly being lost from TKD. ie the martial aspect.

So...in conclusion TSD is Korean karate.
    But it has a strong Korean influence.
    It has alot to offer, and is quite different from modern TKD.

Colin................

3. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Amen, Tseek! No offense with other TKD people, but I agree with you when you said: "I believe that TKD practitioners should have a look at TangSooDo, in it they might find what is slowly being lost from TKD. ie the martial aspect ....... It has alot to offer, and is quite different from modern TKD."

I did TSD first, then I moved and went to TKD. I totally agree that TSD is more into techs, self defense, ect. I'm almost a blue belt .... where I left off in TSD, and if I compare the two, I learned a lot more self defense in TSD at white belt, than I have so far in TKD. I don't mean to b**ch, but I got into martial arts for self defense, not sport. According to one black belt, I won't even learn take-downs till red belt. I have to wait that long for something I learned at orange belt in TSD. I'm just a little frustrated, and a little bored with "basics" .... something I had already drilled into me for the first year of TSD.

4. taesujutsu

taesujutsu New Member

I hold Rank in Both TSD, and TKD. Before you condemn TKD, you should first stipuate which system. WTF is strictly sport. ITF, is both sport and self Defense. Especially Oh Do Kwon

They are two of the systems used in Tae Su Jutsu

Peace,
    Tae

5. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

It's WTF. But it's a so called "new art". I mix of WTF TKD and kung Fu.

6. taesujutsu

taesujutsu New Member

Are you talking about ATA?

The history of TKD changes with those people...we have alot here. in the Metro area..I don't think they even know the history.
    I have had the pleaseure of teaching some of their people who left. Such horror stories they tell, but I believe it is best to let them do their thing, and I will do mine. :)

I have the history of TKD as given by Both Gen. Choi, and Geandmaster Kee Hwang, since both were responsible in forming it...if you would like to hear it sometime. :) If not I understand..not a lot of people are interested in the history.

Peace,
    Tae

7. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

No it's not the ATA. It's a WTF school. They just mix kung fu and TKD together.

I know the history of TSD and TKD. Some TKD people won't admit that TKD came from TSD. Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan (one of the first names of TKD) came from Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan. Some big wig wanted to unite all the "kwans" of Korea. The TKD MDK was born. Hwang Kee refused to join them keeping TSD the way it was/is. There's a little more to it, but that's the VERY short version LOL.

8. taesujutsu

taesujutsu New Member

Actually you are a little off. Note this is by both Kee Whang, and Gen. Choi. I have had the pleaseure of talking with both men.

In 1955 five schools got together to form a BLANKET name for the Korean Martial arts, just like Kara-te is genral and blanket name for the arts of Japan.

The Schools of
    Chung Moo Kwon
    Chung Do Kwon
    Moo Dok Kwon Tang Soo Do
    Jido Kwon
    Oh do Kwon(Gen Choi's style)

The formed a name called TAE SOO DO.
    In 1959 Gen Choi was approached by the Korean Goevernment and asked to make Tae Soo Do A sport. He refused, they told him that if he didn't comply that he would never teach there again. He left ended up in canada head of the Internation Tae Kwon Do Federation. In 1960 Granmaster Kee Hwang pulled the Tang Soo Do out and registered with the Korean government as the "Korean Soo Bakh Do" Association. In 1964, the Tae Soo Do registered as the Tae Soo Do Association, and in 1974 renamed itslef the "Korean Tae Kwon do" Association. This later was again changed to the World Tae Kwon Do" Association. In 1979 shorty before his Assination, Pres Park, declared Tae Kwon Do the "Official" korean Sport, and Tang Soo do the "official" art. :)

Tang Soo do comes form a much older style Soo bakh Do, Grandmaster Kee Whag in 1945 crossed the "18 hands" of the Shaolin that he learned in China, with Soo Bakh Do and called it Tang Soo Do, whose literal meaning is "China Knife hand" and is commonly translated as "Way of the China Hand"..

The original Tae Kyon(not Kwon) was a korean street fighting system.

Good luck with you training.

Peace,
    Tae
    Tang Soo Do 7th dan
    Tae Kwon Do 3rd Dan(ITF)

9. taesujutsu

taesujutsu New Member

I forgot, those who are interested or study Tang Soo Do now might bew interested in one of Kee Whangs books.
    It is simply called "Tang Soo Do"

For the Tae Kwon do people in here a good book is
    Background readings in "Tae Kwon Do and Martial arts"

Byt Dr. Dae Shi Kim, a grandmaster in both the ITF and WTF systems.

Of course that is if you do not already have them. They are both very good books. There is anohter one, but I have to chek my library, and find it. :)

Peace to all,
    Tae

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hey tae didn't knew u do ITF TKD, lots of ppl do ITF here...including me...
    umm about TKD isn't it hav very much influence from arts like taekyon kyon bup and some of other styels including Karate...
    i hav read Gen Choi History(encylopedia) like many times... this is wat i got from it... i knew things about him movin to canada n all...
    -TkdWarrior-

11. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

Hey guys, just the thread I've been looking for...I'm looking to start a MA...in my area there's both a TKD and TSD club. I'm not really into the TKD, since I like the concept of learning an "art" not just fighting (please dont take that the wrong way:) TSD looks very interesting, but in your opinions, how does it differ from karate?? Is it an effective style on the street, taking into account that is also a fairly (I use the word loosely) competition-associated/orientated sport?

Any info would be helpful, thanks :)

12. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

1. "how does it differ from karate??"
    karate is japanese n TSK/TKD is korean

2. "Is it an effective style on the street, "
    yup depends upon 2 person rather than single ...him/her n his/her teacher... taking into consideration Sparring is NOT A street fighting...

street fighting is very vast n vague in itself...u cannot expect in it.. most of arts teaches this aspect but it's sad situation about competition, judo, karate, TKD all become worthless cuz of this...
    TSD is goin towards it so u can expect some good flavours from them rite now...who knows after couple of yrs...god forbid...

my personal opinion would be for street fighting, boxing/muai thai n wrestling or any Filipino MA LIKE arnis or Kali
    -TkdWarrior-

13. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Martial Sloth wrote:

"Hey guys, just the thread I've been looking for...I'm looking to start a MA...in my area there's both a TKD and TSD club."

Where are you located? I'm still looking for an TSD dojang, too(eventhough I do TKD now ..... I miss it).

"TSD looks very interesting, but in your opinions, how does it differ from karate??"

TSD and karate are very similar. Both kick, punch, ect. And both use a lot of self defense (take-downs, locks, ect). But TSD (some call it Korean karate) uses more hip power in kicks than karate does.

"Is it an effective style on the street, taking into account that is also a fairly (I use the word loosely) competition-associated/orientated sport?"

No, TSD is more "art" than sport. Eventhough TSD'ers do compete, that isn't the "big thing" in TSD. And yes, I have used it on the street. I walked away without a scratch ;) I was only a green belt (in TSD) at the time :D

14. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

"TSD looks very interesting, but in your opinions, how does it differ from karate??"

From what I have observed Karate tecniques are performed with a lot more muscle tension, TSD is usually performed in a more relaxed state. More emphasis on kicking in TSD. TSD and Karate share a lot of the same tecniques but with some differences in application and execution.

"Hey guys, just the thread I've been looking for...I'm looking to start a MA...in my area there's both a TKD and TSD club."

Check out both schools, see if you can try some classes and decide which is for you. I have heard theres some good TSD schools in South Africa, Master Eddy Jacobsons schools come to mind.

"Is it an effective style on the street"

I believe all martial arts are effective on the street if tought and applied properly, it really depends on the quality of instruction from the particular school.

15. USTSDA2003

USTSDA2003 New Member

Hey Karate Kid. I live in Texas and currently in TSD. If you have any questions I would be glad to help!! See Ya!

16. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Hiya. Thanks :) I did find a Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan school, the closest I could find to TSD. It turned out to be a great school. They also offer Judo (well it's mixed, not seperate). I wanted to learn Judo at one time, so now I got the best of both worlds :D And I finally get to learn Bassai ...... WOOOHOOOOO :D That was my fav form to watch in TSD. And we do learn a lot of self defense here :)

17. tang_sou_dao

tang_sou_dao YoU cAnT sEe Me!

i train in (yeo u guessed it) tang sou dao= way of the tang hand
    its similar to karate but mine uses a lot of hip power check out our site @ www.tangsoudao.com and check the history, has something similar to tang soo do in their. im sure its pretty much the same.:woo: :eek:

18. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I did train in Tand Soo Do until I moved. Now I've found a Tae Kwon Do school, and I'm thinking about joining that. I do think TSD is more martial and TKD is more sport. Just my opinion, though.

19. gumby

gumby New Member

20. Rupert

Rupert New Member

I think you're quite right, most martial arts boil down to be very similar at their highest level, however finding the right class is a tough one, i'm currently doing Tang Soo Do in North England, it's a very good base when you're young and although you only do chi from when you're black belt, i think you really just have to try out different classes and see how the instructors relate to you, there are a vast amount of phonies out there so be mindful.