[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Nerus, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Nerus

Nerus New Member

Im new to the boards, but I thought I might just share my style which is Mu Duck Kwan Tang Soo Do.

Basically a "hard" martial arts.

Not in terms of difficulty of course, but in attack power and delivery.

I also incorporate a different kind of grappling that Im trying to develop with the help of study on JKD.

And I constantly train myself in basic boxing skills, studying off of anyone I see fighting.

Like it says in my profile, I am a speed fighter and in a power style.

Anyways, I'd like your opinions on my styles and I would love to hear more about you guys.

-Nerus

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hi Nerus,
    What are the main differences between Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do?

I know they share many similarities, but how do they differ in their practice and methodology?

-Sokklab

Last edited: Oct 11, 2003
  3. Nerus

Nerus New Member

well...

The main difference is in power.

A lot of TKD fighters are supposed to quick with a lot of technique but on a leg basis.

TSD on the other hand is power based with a little bit less emphasis on legs.

Still a leg based style but with a few more hand techniques.

For example, the Soo Do is a big part which is basically a knife edge like block or possibly a strike depending on how it is used.

Other forms of Tang Soo Do are base hands styles but I didnt find this interesting enough.

Either way, yes they are very similar but you will probably find more hand fighters in TSD than you will in TKD.

Also, much TKD, TSD is very traditional.

They both base out of Korea at about the same time and the instructors are very stern and traditional, most of the time.

I amortunate enough to have a Master who is very down to earth and not so traditional.

Anyways, those are the basic similarities and differences, at least by the way I practice the style.

Some might practice it more like Korean Karate which is more like Soo Bahk Do.

If anyone has any questions I would much enjoy discussing martial arts with anyone.

-Nerus

4. hwarang

hwarang Guest

i trained in moo duk kwan (spelling vary) for about 4yrs, before changing styles...it's basically a style of taekwondo

i changed styles because i moved states, but after comparing it to hwarangdo, i found moo duk kwan to be more traditional even though both are WTF styles

i thought it's basically like shotokan karate with a few more kicks

that's only my view - i respect all martial arts and the master that taught it to me, but i wouldn't change back

5. beth

beth New Member

I trained in Chung Do Kwan TKD for some time and only in the last few years found out that is was very close to TSD. We did all of the same forms except we had one additional series, Kuk Mu. I now train in ITF TKD and there are some differences but they are of degree not essence. The forms are, of coure, different and it doesn't emphasize the wrap-up like CDK does (twisting the waist and all that). It is also not quite as "traditional" (take that however you want) as CDK but I am really happy with it. I do miss some of the basics from CKD, especially yuk-gin and the wide use of other knife hand techniques. I also really love the forms, but I do like the new ones I am learning, too. Another thing that is different, and I think is the same in TSD as CDK, is the focus on discipline and internal training. Before, after and sometimes during class we would have meditation and do a lot of concentration and focus exercises that I really found beneficial. But, maybe my new masters would be open to incoporating that more. Nerus, what are your favorite forms?

6. tang_sou_dao

tang_sou_dao YoU cAnT sEe Me!

i do 'tang sou dao' as u can probably guess. mine is like taekwondo but more hand strikes etc. visit www.tangsoudao.com for more info anyway

7. Nerus

Nerus New Member

Im not to big on forms...

I go for more of the realistic defensive approach.

For example....the art of interception.

Forms are second but id have to say i like Basai (spelling)
    Nerus

8. erikido

erikido New Member

Hwarang

Hey hwarang. .
    I too study hwa rang do. Did you say it is associated with WTF. .I didn't think there was any association. World Hwa Rang Do association was the only one that I knew of. But anyways, who taught you. When I was in sacramento I was taught by Sabum nim Marco Walker. I am now in school in Fresno and training under Bill Smith(not sure exactly what his title is. .They are a little less traditional here)

Hmm. .just like shotokan? I guess you learn something knew every day. .I didn't know shotokan had all the joint locks and grappling and such. Are you in the tae soo do("undergrad work" for those of you who don't know) program or Hwa Rang do?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2003
  9. hwarang

hwarang Guest

i do hwarangdo in australia, so i don't know how it compares to the one in the US. the hwarangdo academy here is a member of the WTF (world taekwondo federation) - as opposed to being a memeber of the ITF.

i meant moo duk kwan was like karate - i trained with a shotokan shodan and found that moo duk kwan was similar in style, but use a few more kicks

not sure if i am any help to you since we are in different countries and the hwarangdo that we do may be a bit different

10. erikido

erikido New Member

AYYYY. Just so you know. . .Go to www.hwarangdo.com. Hwa rang do has a WORLD association and the hwa rang do name actually has a copyright on it.

11. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Tang Soo Do + Ba Gua Zhang + Karate here...and counting!

12. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Just out of curiosity, there have been a number of posts that refer to Tang Soo Do training as "Traditional." Traditional tends to be a pretty loaded word. Can anyone define the context that it is being used in for this case?

- Matt

Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
  13. craigwarren

craigwarren Valued Member

Thats a VERY interesting statement. exactly how many hand strikes are there in tang sou dao, more important how many are there in Tae Kwon Do. Are there some special ways of hitting people with your hand TKD doesnt know about?

14. Topher

Topher allo!

Tang Soo!

TSD also mixes the softer styles of Chinese Kung Fu. Grandmaster Hwang Kee fled to China when Japan invaded Korea. The Korean goverment basicly banned martial arts during this time except for TKD, which was only taught to the korean army.

15. Tiong

Tiong New Member

Hey Homer, who did you train under? Master Titus? I train with Master Tang (6th Dan) in the West Yorkshire area, Region 2A I believe.

In definition TKD was named the Korean national "sport" Tang Soo Do on the other hand was after named the national "art" of Korea. There are certain forms which are specific to TSD such as Chil Sung series of forms.

Taken for face value, TKD and TSD don't differ, from my experience once you reach the rank of 1st Dan and start attending Black belt only lessons in TSD there is much more focus on the basics, the breathing your overall control.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2004
  16. Topher

Topher allo!

My instructor has only been teaching for a few years, but i also train under Master Edmondson (6th Dan). He was taught in Malaysia around 25 years ago by one of Master Hwan Kee's best students [forgot his name]. He is our Grandmaster and the founder of our school - Tiger Gym.

17. ~Johnny~

~Johnny~ New Member

I practice Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan, its pretty much a korean version of karate with elements of other martial arts in it such as TKD and Kung fu

18. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Wasn't SBD the old name for TSD? Or is it the other way around? Or am I going insane with all the terminology? *scratches head*

19. Topher

Topher allo!

The back story, as i know it. Tang Soo Do was the arts original name and it was based on the old art of Soo Bahk Do. While in China, Grandmaster Hwang Kee, decided to modernise Soo Bahk Do and created Moo Duk Kwan (His school/style) Tang Soo Do (his art).

Back in Korea in the 1960's, the Korean goverment felt the name Tang Soo Do had too much Chinese influence, and therefore would reconise the name as Korea's national art. For that reason Hwang Kee decided to officially change it's name to Soo Bahk Do in order to get it offically reconised. The art is still called Tang Soo Do out of respect for the original name.

20. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

Tang Soo Do and maybe Tae Kwon Do coming soon. Now I'll get to see what the differences are.