[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do in the Real World

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by DCombatives, Feb 16, 2006.

1. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

OK TSDer's, I'm looking for examples of TSD being used to defend yourself in the really-real world. I want to know all the details of how you were accosted, and how specifically you responded.

2. drunken_master

drunken_master Valued Member

A after someone punched me in the back, I spun around and caught his hand with a knife hand block, and was about to hit him (technique called a yuk jin) but he was already looking scared out of his pants so I didn't.

After being grabbed or pushed up against a wall, hard to remember because I was pretty drunk at the time, I missed a punch and got kind of tangled up with them, was able to sweep their legs and knock them down with a one-step takedown and literally leap down two flights of stairs and go running out of the house (I could actually hear some guys running after me but I didn't bother to look back).

Both times were unprovoked. I just went with what seemed easiest, it wasn't because they were 'tang soo do techniques'. Edit: Also I stopped tang soo do some time ago, both incidents occured while I was training.

3. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Ive had a few scrapes over the years. After refusing to lend a drunk guy my mobile phone and walking away he punched me in the back(I hardly felt it he was very drunk), I turned round and grabbed his hand and put a wrist lock on him. He went down screaming(it wasnt that bad) and I walked off.

Another time a guy bumped into me(on purpose) then squared up ready to hit me. I put my hands up in a defensive stance and told him i was sorry, he then told me he was going to kill me so I straight punched him in the face. He stumbled back and fell over, I left the premises imediately. I felt pretty bad after that, it spoiled my night out.