[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do High Block

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Theforgotten, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Theforgotten

Theforgotten Drifting Aimlessly

I have observed the Rising Block/High Block in Shotokan and Taekwondo. I have also observed it in Tang Soo Do, but there appears to be two different versions - one that mirrors its Taekwondo cousin, and one that is completely unique. The unique one uses what I refer to as reverse hip rotation (in relation to Shotokan hip rotation during the block) - the hips are turned sideways during the stack up and then turned forward again during the actual block. So, my question is, which version is the standard or most widely used version, and are both versions acceptable expressions of Tang Soo Do?

2. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Ive only ever seen the second version you describe and ive trained with people from various different TSD orgs. Im assuming that is the most common way, since that type of hip movement is usually drilled with most blocks.

3. Theforgotten

Thanks, Yossarian. I was a bit confused because the first time I saw TSD being practiced, I saw the second version and assumed that this was the basic and correct form to do the technique. However, when I watched other schools, I seen them do it the TKD way and it got me thinking about the question. I guess it is another example of schools and masters taking liberty with the syllabus of the style and inserting their own ways to do things (which is not necessarily bad, but definitely can be confusing).

4. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

We do it the second way...
    The higher up levels its much less noticeable the reverse hip movement.

5. maunakumu

maunakumu New Member

There's value in doing it both ways. Each has a different application ranging from more defensive to more offensive.

6. Dark Planet

Dark Planet New Member

Both are practiced in MDK TSD as demonstrated in the middle-early section of the 2nd ChilSon Form.

7. Theforgotten

Thanks for the responses, guys! Maunakumu, are you hinting that the TSD version is more offensive than the Shotokan and Taekwondo versions? That is very interesting to note. The Shotokan and Taekwondo versions, as I was taught them, were more defensive in nature, and I find it very intriguing that the TSD version is more offensive or possibly leans more toward the offensive. Very good stuff :cool:.

8. Dark Planet

Dark Planet New Member

That is an interest look at the differences. I've often taught and worked blocks as "strikes to the attacking limbs." Though, they can definitely be used in a softer manner.

9. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

The more common version is sun dan makki and the second is sun dan bomo (note that the spelling I'm using is phonetic as I have seen many variations when translated into English). Sun dan bomo uses greater hip turn and rotation for joint breaks after the two handed catch. Sun dan makki is more of a trapping movement as a counterstrike when used offensively. Though either can be modified and adapted to a defensive application, there is no real reason to reach to the hip defensively and a LOT of reasons not to.

10. Theforgotten

I was taught that too, and I think that it is a very good way to look at blocking, period. In my Shotokan and Taekwondo 3-step sparring experience, the high block was used in a defensive manner while stepping backward. I was wondering if the reverse hip twist version of the high block in TSD is used in the same manner. The stepping back combined with the reverse hip twisting motion would be pretty cool :cool:.

11. Theforgotten

Thanks, Kwan Jang! So TSD can and does feature both versions, that makes a lot of sense because they both appear to get the job done quite well. Sun dan makki and sun dan bomo, one is good for trapping and the other for joint destructions.