[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do Forms Question???

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Andy Cap, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Tonight I was flipping through Grand Master Hwang Kee's book "Soo Bahk Do Tang Soo Do Volume 1" On page 151 GM Kee shows some different ready stances for hyung. For example the ready stance for Bassai, Naihanzi, Wong Shu, etc. Among these forms was Dong Doi Hyung. I have never heard of or seen this hyung. Do any of you know of this hyung and what became of it?

Unfortunately I have not yet purchased Grand Master Hwang Kee's volume 2 yet, which has the advanced hyung - perhaps these are in there?

2. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

I cant even find a refernce to "Dong Doi Hyung" anywhere on the internet.. is that the "correct" spelling???

3. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Well that is the way he spells it in his book, but you know much of the early Korean books are phoenetic spellings and inconsistant. Here is what Grand Master Ferraro told me. You may note he spells it differently. He also reminded me of the Chil Song Forms that some Tang Soo Do schools do. I learned that system as well, but quite frankly didn't like them and forgot I even learned them - LOL. GM Ferraro is an awesome wealth of information!!

"Dam Toi are a series of Chinese or Islamic straight line forms...I believe the Isalamic Dam Toi is called Dam Toi 12 while the Chinese version is called Dam Toi 10. This form was taught to KJN Hwang Kee while studying Chinese martial arts with the Yang Family in China. There are enough similarities in the Dam Toi that many believe this was the source form for KJN Hwang Kee's Yuk Rho Hyungs. "

4. Topher

Topher allo!

I know Hwang Kee 'added' more hyungs a while back (i think when he changed the name to Soo Bahk Do). Our association (TGI) havn't adopted the newer/changed fourms.

5. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Yes - as far as I know the Chil song forms are new. I had nevr seen or heard of them until 1987 and then they came on the scene like wild fire. Some TSD organizations adopted them and some didn't - our organization adopted them for about 3 years and then droped them because we left the ITF.

6. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

7. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member