[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do Check-in

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Jang Bong, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

A big welcome to both of you. :) (Nice spot of Pyung Ahn Sa Dan in your avatar Keith - ever tried it with tonfas?).

As you've probably discovered - we are drawing together an interesting crowd around here, so pull up a stool and we'll all get to know each other.

I promise I will re-list the current TSD members by the weekend ;)

2. WKJ30

WKJ30 New Member

Thank you. Yea they work good with Pyung Ahn Sa Dan makes me wounder if they were weapon forms to start ?

3. Spikedude

Spikedude Valued Member

Well thank you very much, this was a great idea.

4. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Welcome to the new guys. It seems our community is growing slowly but surely.

5. chrischris

chrischris New Member

Hi everyone

I;ve been studying Tang Soo Do for almost a year now, I just tested to green belt last saturday.

Im from south wales, UK, and i train under a former world champion, Master John Trudgill, (O Dan). he truly is amazing, and he's very strict in the teachings of TSD.

Tang soo

6. PsiCop

Welcome chrischris. It's good that you have a teacher that holds true to the teachings of TSD.

7. Jang Bong

Welcome chrischris (good name ;)) and congratulations on your grading. I'm only about a year ahead of you TSD-wise, so it is nice to see it is not only these black belts who are hanging around this forum. :)

Enjoy your stay, and join me in trying to sneak any advantage from asking questions of these longer serving practitioners :D

Tang Soo!!

8. chrischris

chrischris New Member

ok.
    guys... how can i win a tournament in sparring :p

lol joke. but i got a tournament next week

9. PsiCop

Practice, get in the zone, and be cunning with your techniques and combinations. ;)

10. chrischris

chrischris New Member

hahaha techniques and combos???? what does that mean :p

lol got kicked in the eye tonight, was teh weirdest feeling ever. right on the ball!

11. Jang Bong

From that respons, I think another 'tip' might be:

Keep a good guard - don't get KICKED :D:D

12. PsiCop

Was that a joke? Meh, I just mean be creative with what you throw.

13. chrischris

chrischris New Member

yea, was meant to be a joke, its just youve never seen me spar, im possibly... no.. i AM the worst fighter ever!!

14. PsiCop

Oh, I see what you mean now. These things take time, though. Practice and train hard and you will get better... It's guaranteed. Also, being aggressive works well. For a simple combination, try starting out with a kick or two and then stringing together some hand techniques for a follow-up.

Here's a big thread about sparring strategies that I wrote up a couple years ago. This could be extremely beneficial to you considering we practice the same style...

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3209

(BTW 400th post :cool: )

15. Jang Bong

With appologies to anyone that I've missed during the 'relocation' into our own forum... If I've missed anything, or there have been significant changes, then let me know and I'll amend the list. :)

Members of the MAP Tang Soo Do community - in no ranked order except their arrival on this thread. All start dates assume ISH on the end (i.e. 2002ish)

Jang Bong - Newcastle/Gateshead - England - started 2002 - last ranking 4th Gup (since graded at weapons for black belt)

monk-ki - Reno, NV - USA - started 1981 - 3rd dan black belt

ahkyte - Benfleet - England - - green tag

Homer J Simpson - London - England - started 2003

Yossarian75 - Moray - Scotland - started 1999

Mu Ryuk - Monterey, CA - USA - 8+ years - 7th gup, but check that experience :)

Tang Sou Tim - England

ATF - Malden, MA - USA - started 2000 - 1st gup

gakami - - before 1985 - minimum 1st dan black belt

FlatFoot - Colorado - USA - started 2001 - 1st dan black belt

Andy Cap - New Hampshire - USA - started 1977 - 4th Dan

tswolfman - Ohio - USA - mixed arts including Tang Soo Do

tang_sou_dao - England - temporarily out of training

hoppy - Essex - England - interested convert from other arts (let us know if you find a school)

oldshadow - Virginia - USA - started 1978 - 4th Dan - wicked sense of humour :D:D:D

TSDLibrarian - New Hampshire / Vermont - USA

Karate_Man_1288 - Shelton - USA - started 2001 - 4th Gup :confused: Green belt

PsiCop - Houson TX - USA - 1996 - 2nd Dan (pending ;))

1oe - recent - Green belt

TangSouRed - Stamford CT - USA - a few years :rolleyes: - 3rd Dan

NX01 - Jacksonville FL - USA - 1987 - 3rd Dan

TheHungryWolf - 2003 - not sure of rank, but competition champ

Spikedude - New Jersey - USA - 1995

WKJ30 - Texas - USA

chrischris - South Wales - 2004 - Green belt

JunFan38463 - preference for Soo Bahk Doh - USA - 1993 - 2nd Dan

BRITTON - North Tyneside - England - 1972 - 4th Dan

16. PsiCop

Very detailed list Jang Bong! *claps* I'm curious how many threads you had to sift through to piece it all together o_O?

We're getting quite a unique little TSD community here. I look forward to seeing how it grows in the future. ;)

BTW all my info was correct.

17. Jang Bong

There was a bit of scouting around needed. Some reliance on my memory (when I know I've heard someone mention something before, but in a thread on another topic). But if a job is worth doing..... ;)

In an ideal world, everyone would use this thread, and I would just need to track down from the last full list to the end of the thread - but we ended up using the thread for all specifically TSD questions and things got complicated.

I agree that we are building a nice little group. One thing that strikes me is that everyone seems to be talking from very similar training backgrounds, and we all see other peoples ideas as 'fair game' for adapting to our own arts. (I've just compleated a report on the things I saw at the SENI'05 exhibition last weekend to pass on to BRITTON :))

18. chrischris

chrischris New Member

this might have been asked before..i dont know....

what federations do you belong to and whats the style?

im international tang soo do federation (ITF) www.internationaltangsoodofederation.com or www.tangsoodo.co.uk ( you canread bout my masters acheivements there (master trudgill))

and awe're Moo Duk Won now, we were Moo Duk Kwan, but its changed becuse of HC Hwang patenting a bunch of stuff lo

19. PsiCop

We used to be part of the ITF, but we broke away a few years ago. Now we train in an independant federation.

20. chrischris

chrischris New Member

whats your organisation called now?