[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do Check-in

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Jang Bong, Aug 3, 2004.

1. ATF

ATF Valued Member

Andy Cap "A most sincere bow" Nice Break! I would love to see that is ther a link?

2. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

No, but I did 12 @ Master Byrne's tournament in 1997 or '98. One of my students caught that one film, but I didn't get a copy. I did that and a flying side kick through 6 and lost to Master Bell's triple jump front kick and double jump front kick - which I have to admit were pretty darn near perfect in form and technique. LOL

I haven't done any breaking in a lond time - I wonder how well I could do now - I was 175 and scrawny then. I am 230 now. I am not as fit as I was though, and I have not been training as much as I was then. We will see what the future has in store.

BTW ATF why does your account say you only have 1 post?

3. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

I was just about to go to bed and remembered a breaking story. This was back around 1979 or so? I was training under Master Byrne in North Reading, adn he made the statement that he could break pretty much anything we brought in. Of course people started bringing in everything from chunks of oak to rocks and so on. Well, one day Master MacDonald and another black belt (can't remember name) brought in a curbstone! it was 4' long and a standard sized curbstone. Master Byrne shok his head and laughed, and then stated that this was the last thing he would break. They set the curbstone up at and angle so it was suspended and Master Byrne proceeded to break it with a foot stomp! Ask Master White about that story sometime - I think he has the best rendition of it.

OK - I am off to bed now.

4. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

I agree that being a predominantly "hard style" would have some benefit to gain from breaking. It can be a good test of skill, technique and concentration. I don't love breaking, but I certainly see the usefulness of it, and will do fine when I have to break myself. I just don't see it as being the most important aspect of training, by any stretch. I agree that it is just an "extra".

5. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Actually, Tang Soo Do gets to be a soft art as you progress. If you watch the higher Hyung, there is a lot more tension and open handed techniques. Most styles have this sort of "full circle" life cyle - meaning that is they start soft like Tai Chi for example, they end up getting harder and vise versa. So, TSD gets to be pretty soft comparitivly speaking.

There is a lot of challenge in learning soft breaks too. For example a chicken wrist is a soft break. Another favorite I have that is not necessarilly soft, but very challenging is - set a board up on edge or have someone hold it with just their thumb and index finger, so it is suspended, and then try to break it with a skipping side kick. Much harder than you would think. It can be done though..That break is all about timing, focus, and inflection.

6. PsiCop

given. I say predominantly hard, because it starts hard and develops into softness, much like many martial arts as u said. However, tai chi is unique in that it start with softness and develops into force.

7. ATF

ATF Valued Member

Why isn't TSD listed in Styles?? Anyone know? :bang:

8. ATF

ATF Valued Member

Ask and u Shall receive! THANKS MAP!!!

9. PsiCop

YESS! YES YES YES YES! I've always wanted a Tang Soo Do forum. I'm gonna blow this thing up! I'm so happy! Thank you MAP!

TANG SOO!

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

There yas go!

Now get out of my forums! :p :D

11. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Yeeeehaaa!!!!! We exist. :)

To follow on from a couple of PMs, I'm nominating Gaskell as our own personal MAP Moderator due to his experience as a Mod (and the fact he likes us so much :D)

So that things don't start to 'dilute', I think we need to make our own judgment calls on where we post. The Hyungs with weapons Q&As could have been its own thread, and it would have made more sense to be here than in the Weapons forum, however a general weapons use type query would get more attention in that other forum (even if the query arose through TSD).

Hope that makes sense, and that I'm not stating the bleedin' obvious. :eek:

Pyung Ahn!

12. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

*Thomas trips over something while walking to "Thai Boxing" from 'Tae Kwon Do" forums.... what is this? A Tang Soo Do forum? Congratulations!

Do you guys wear midnight blue belts around here?

13. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Congrats to all of you TSD members .... nice place you got here! ;)

It will be nice having you all as neighbors!

I was able to clean out the TKD forum of several TSD threads... so now we have a bit more room and you now have a little less space.

Happy Posting!

14. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

We wouldn't have it any other way :)

15. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Just a little suggestion from a Karate Mod to help the forum "settle-in": if you see a thread in another forum, such as Karate, GD or Other, that should go in here, give the TM for that forum a yell asking for it to be shifted :)

As most of the other forums have some stickies with things like Useful Links, maybe a history of the Art that you could put together would be handy?

As to JB's suggestion that I be your "own personal MAP Moderator", I would say that it would be better to have somebody who actually knows something about the art (unlike me). However, if a Mod is to be chosen, it will be done by the Globies and Admins.

I will still have a mosy in here though :)

16. Topher

Topher allo!

Useful links would be good, although i dont think a 'history of' thread would ne wise. Tang Soo Do probably has the most questionable/arguable history ever :eek: :rolleyes:

17. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

You need a "baptism of fire" thread to start the forum going! :D jk jk ;)

I am about to go through Karate looking for TSD threads that can be moved :)

If anyone spots any I have missed, give me a yell :)

EDIT: after a quick mosy, I have found that there is none. Again, if I have missed any, give me a yell :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  18. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

well, besides going cleaning the TKD forum I also went through all of the other forums. I think I found all the threads/posts with reference to TSD :)

(perhaps we should now resume this thread back to its original intent which is to welcome new Tang Soo Do MAP members!!! :)

19. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Aye :)

Welcome all TSD'ers :D

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I hope all the TSDers like their spanking new forum. :D