[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do Check-in

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Jang Bong, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Karate_Man_1288

Karate_Man_1288 New Member

It's been awhile

Sorry, ben away for awhile. My comp got a virus. Anyway, passed my test, skipped blue belt, and got my first degree green belt, and I made Junior leader. Yay. Now time to perfect form 8 and 9.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Welcome Tang Soo Do'ers... I like how your check-in is working out... looks good! (Plus I like Tang Soo Do people!)

3. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Thomas - you are a more than welcome visitor, and it's nice to think you are looking over our shoulders. I seem to be 'administering' this, but feel I'm very low in the ranks of MA (never mind TSD specifically :) )

I have certainly enjoyed the conversations and the on-line 'meetings' this has generated, and I agree that they seem a very nice crowd (with some wicked senses of humour - curious!!!)

*Bows* to a very respected MAP member.

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

You administer it, I mod it :D

:confused:

5. Jang Bong

Don't let that award for 'chattering' go to your head - remember who the 'Most Helpful' member was??? :) ;) :cool:

6. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Reeeeet! :eek:

Mutters about brain not working while working around rail timetable changes

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Jang Bong - thanks for the kind words... hopefully at some point in time, people from the various styles can find ways and means to get together and share in person too! Rank isn't as important as wanting to share freely and trying to help others share. I think you are doing this well at MAP and I respect that greatly *bows right back at you*

Gaskell: was it something I said? :cry:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  8. Jang Bong

OK - so you want a report on next weeks ScotMAP meeting. :D I'm sure we can oblige. Looking forward to it greatly - and I've promised NOT to sidetrack the discussions into the I.T. area (although it is amazing how many computer bods we have :D:D:D)

Excuse my young impetuous neighbour - I would offer to slap him for you, except he is probably bigger, stronger, fitter, and better trained that I am (where is PinkPsycho when you need her???) :D

9. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

I just noticed this thread for the first time, tonight! I only thought there were 2 or 3 other TSD members here, so I was surprised when I started reading this thread. I suppose I should introduce myself for those of you who haven't already talked to me in some way or form....

My name's Matt, and i live in Houston Texas, USA. I train in a small group of local Tang Soo Do schools, but we used to be under Master Kim Chun Sik in the ITF. My Kyo Sa Nim is a man by the name of James Davis and is a 3rd Dan and a practitioner of martial arts for about 20 years. I myself am a 1st Dan and have trained for nearly 9 years. I test for 2nd Dan on April 23rd, and my Kyo Sa is probably testing for 4th Dan as well. Our school is large, I'd say that it's one of the larger TSD dojangs in Texas with over 200 members. We're very traditional, and include a variety of forms including Pyong Ahn, Naihanji, Passai, Chil Sung, Jin Do, Ro Hai, and five staff forms including Dragon's Tail. I'd have to say my favorite forms are Jin Do and Chil Sung Il Ro Hyung, as the two embody the main focuses of TSD. Jin Do is my favorite "hard" form, and Chil Sung is a great example of TSD's internal energy. Many consider Kong San Goon as one of the best TSD forms, but I can't really judge until I've learned and to some extent mastered the form myself, and in my school, it's taught at 3rd Dan so only my Kyo Sa knows it.

Tang Soo! ... and yes we should have a forum :cool:

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Hey, you can always push me out of the car on the way to ScotMAP, or even just not bother turning up as revenge ;) :p

11. Karate_Man_1288

Going for 2nd Dan huh? so do you have sip soo poe (form 14, spelt like it sounds) down? I especialy like how in the beginning you rip a persons rib cage apart

My favorite is Ro Hyung as well.

TANG SOO

12. PsiCop

Sip Su is taught at second Dan in my school. I will also learn Naihanji Sam Dan and Chil Sung Sam Ro Hyung, along with Ro Hai... I just realized that's 4 new forms. Wow, I have a lot of work ahead of me. Then again, I'll have at least 3 years to perfect them before my next belt test.

13. Karate_Man_1288

I was taught forms 8 - 12 by my friend, a 2nd Dan black belt, and I taught myself forms 13, and 14. (i have a really good memory) My sensi wants me to focus on 8 though. They are hard forms to learn, but after you get them down, they seem really easy.

14. PsiCop

I feel we have enough TSD people here, as demonstrated by this thread. We should have our own forum. Does anyone think we should try talking with a moderator about getting a TSD forum set up? I believe it'd get more hits than some of the style forums that are already present. We shouldn't have to settle with the TKD forum, because we aren't TKD. Anyone want to PM a moderator or admin, perhaps?

Tang Soo!

15. MALibrarian

MALibrarian Valued Member

Sounds like an excellent idea to me!

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I believe I have already mentioned it to an Admin ;) :D

17. PsiCop

Any results?

18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I haven't heard anything apart from "It's been discussed" or summat like that.

I pointed out this thread, showing how many TSD'ers we have now too :)

*wonders if YODA is reading this thread for some feedback* :Angel:

19. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Our own section? Is it really going to happen? It isn't that i don't like Tae Kwon Do people, as that is what I am doing at the moment, but I am tired of the old arguements such as WTF vs. ITF. I want to discuss Tang Soo Do, my one true love.

As for the Hyung, I think Ro Hai is my favorite. I really got into Wong Sho, but it still is not as exciting as Ro Hai for me. Kang Sun Koon is a great form as well, but it is considered by many to be too long. I personally find it to be a bit trying that way sometimes. As for the Pyung Ahn Hyung - well Pyung Ahn Oh Dan is my favorite for sure.

In my Tae Kwon Do school my instructor has asked me to teach Bassai So to the black belts, and they love it!!! I have learned the first 5 black belt forms for WTF TKD and they are ok, but don't excite me like TSD hyung.

So, in long, I sure hope we get our own section!!

20. Jang Bong

Keep an ear open, and we'll back you up with whatever is needed ;) It would be nice to deal with hyungs and Korean weapon names without feeling we had to translate them into the more popular Japanese every time :D

As with anywhere else - everyone would be welcome (we don't want to shut ourselves away). I have to say that, as I tend to pop up in the most unexpected forums (Caporiea? :D:D)

Regarding the Pyung Ahn Hyungs - in the warmup time at the Karate class I 'use', I have gotten into the habit of running the 5 Hyungs together (one after another). Anything wrong with this? Is it bad practice?? I tend to play around in this class, as nobody knows when I do right or wrong - so I get no put-downs. :cool: