[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do Check-in

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Jang Bong, Aug 3, 2004.

1. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Hi Capps

I will also be going for my 2nd gup,
    more towards the end of the year.

Has mixing all those other arts in with TSD helped or hindered your training do you think?

I ask because I've always been interested in other MA and tried boxing as well but never have enough time in the week to do enough training in both to get anywhere.

Welcome TSDnoud and carla to

2. Capps

Capps Valued Member

Hi Brown. Well I never studied two at the same time. Over the years I learned a little from each one. I started out in TSD and trained with friends in their styles as time went on. I agree I couldn't do more than one at a time. I don't think you could excel in either one, JMO. As far as helping me in TSD. Absolutely, I think I have progress further this way. Especially in my sparring. I train with a lot of people with exstensive martial arts background. So in our advance class if there is a move or technique that we think we can benifit from by all means share. This is how we evolve in martials arts. Constantly learning and expanding from every art. Best thing to do is get out there and makes some friends from other styles and learn from each other.

3. TSD_Noud

TSD_Noud New Member

Hi Capps,

The blackbelt test wil include demonstration of all forms until now; all ki cho hyungs, all pyung ahn hyungs, basai and naihanchi cho dan 2 gung bong hyungs and 2 chang bong hyungs. Furthermore demonstration of 15 self defense techniques, 20 one step sparring leg techniques, 20 one step hand techniques, 10 two steps sparring techniques, free sparring against one and against multiple oponents, 3 boards breaking leg technique, 2 boards breaking hand techniques, one board jumping leg technique above your head and one brick breaking hand technique. Next to that you have to do a written test on TSD history and other theory. I hope this sort of answers your question ;-).

In our organisation, 2nd gup is a red belt with a white stripe. First gup is a red belt with a black stripe.

Tang Soo!

4. Capps

Capps Valued Member

Noud that is awesome. That is what I call a Dan test. Ours is basicly the same. We don't really set a number on each we just keep going until they tell us to stop. The written test changes each year. Usually it's about 2 pages. The last one you had to translate the korean charaters they gave and other things concerning techniques and vocabulary. Is your dan test in korean or english? Our gup test is in english and our dan test is all korean. It's good to see that some schools are making it a challenge instead of handing it to you. Good luck. let us know how it turned out.

5. TSDSteve

TSDSteve Valued Member

Hi all,

We are part of the Moo Duk Kwan and our belt system runs as follows:

White 10th Gup
    Yellow 9th Gup
    Orange 8ht Gup
    Blue 7th Gup
    Green 6th Gup
    Green 1 blue tag 5th Gup
    Green 2 blue tags 4th Gup
    Red 3rd Gup
    Red 1 blue tag 2nd Gup
    Red 2 blue tags 1st Gup

Black (midnight blue)

Our Dan test seems similar to yours with a demonstration of all techniques and forms learnt along with a written test and you have to write a paper about TSD history and what the art means to you as a person.

I probly have 18 months before i get there so not to panic yet!!!!

6. N.B

N.B Valued Member

Hello, I train in Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do, and I'm 7th gup.

I also know my TSD master is on these forums somewhere...

TANG SOO!

7. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Welcome aboard N.B - Hopfully your TSD master will come forward and claim you as his(her) own. ;)

Have fun getting to know the gang - a wide range of experience here to steal (Ooops) borrow from :D

8. martialmad

martialmad Valued Member

Hi All, good to see a Tang Soo Do check in on the forum. I studied various Tang Soo Do's under a few federations during my martial arts training which now is about 30 years in total on and off. I have trained under the uktsdf, world association and another break away group that I cant remember the name of! I now do the Chinese variant of Tang Sou Dao and been doing this a couple of years.

9. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

I study Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do but our grading system goes as follows:

White 10th Kup
    Orange 9th Kup
    Blue 8th Kup
    Yellow 7th Kup
    Green 6th Kup
    Purple 5th Kup
    Brown 4th Kup
    Red 3rd Kup
    Black 1st Dan

We don't have any stripes or tags. Our belts are one color.

I'm not sure where 2nd Kup is... :rolleyes:

10. TSD_Noud

TSD_Noud New Member

It's been a while since I last posted here....My dan testing went very well....Testing was in Korean. From 3rd gup on, all tests were mostly in Korean. Next event for me will be the Dutch championships comming up sunday october 25th...

11. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Hi Noud, well done getting your Cho Dan. Do you train under GM Salm by any chance? I heard there is an EMTF Dutch champs on the 25th.

12. TSD_Noud

TSD_Noud New Member

Yes, I train under GM Salm. I run a TSD School in Amsterdam together with an old buddy of mine. Next to that we train once a week at the school of SBN Salm (the youngest son of GM Salm). The EMTF Dutch Champs on the 25th is the tournament I was talking about.

Where do you train, since it seems you are connected to the EMTF?

Tang Soo!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  13. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

I am in the EMTF too. I was at the world champs in Rotterdam earlyer this year, great fun. I train in Scotland, there are a few EMTF schools in the area. We were at the British EMTF champs just last weekend, great fun also. Best of luck on the 25th.

14. TSD_Noud

TSD_Noud New Member

No prizes on my last tournament (NTMB/EMTF Dutch Championships) but I'm quite happy with how it went. The sparring matches I lost were close, one point difference and I made 2 experienced black belts put in quite some effort to win the match. My hyungs went ok. Form my traditional hyung I finished somewhere in the middle of the group and for my chang bong hyung I got a shoot out for 3rd place which I unfortunately screwed up. But for a first time competing on black belt level, competing against a lot of 2nd and 3rd dan black belts I think I did more than ok.

on the 28th and 29th there will be an international seminar and the open dutch championships hosted by the NTMB/EMTF in Rotterdam. Lets see how that goes.

Tang Soo,

Noud

15. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Not sure if this is allowed but:

I'm selling off some really rare Tang Soo Do books.

History of the Moo Duk Kwan by Hwang kee
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180438642447&_trkparms=tab=Selling

Vol2: Tang Soo Do Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan by Hwang Kee
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180438643854&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Muye Dobo Tongji: Illustrated Manual of Martial Arts of Ancient Korea
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180438646072&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

16. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

1st Dan Tang Soo Do Kanbukan affiliation. did TSD for a while in Va when i couldnt find a decent TKD school.

TSD was a fun learning experience. theres only like one school i know of in Korea at the Air Force base where Chuck Norris trained at......and alot of these younger generation Koreans arent familiar with TSD

but its a cool thing that TSD spread around the world and theres different orgs carrying on the legacy.

17. danny4114

danny4114 Valued Member

Heyy all im a 1st gup, going for my 1st dan in september :]
    I train with the TTFUK under master john trudgill.
    Any of you guys come to the big competition in cardiff this year?:)

18. TSDSteve

TSDSteve Valued Member

Hey Danny4114,

Good luck with the DAN test. Did mine last month, hard work but worth the result.

19. 23197

23197 Valued Member

Hello to my TSD Brothers and sisters!

Ayn yah shimnika- along with a bow for respect.
    My name is Joe and I am a 1st dan in Tang Soo Do. I live and train in New Jersey USA (south jersey).
    Our dojang is located in Vineland NJ and we are a part of the IMA. (International Martial Arts Association).

I earned and was awarded my 1st dan in June 2010 over in lovely Dublin Ireland at our 6th IMA world championships. Deep bow to my EU brothers/sisters. What awesome fighters and competitors over there -Man!

I look forward to sharing and learning from all of you.

20. danny4114

danny4114 Valued Member

Nice to meet you Joe :}
    I am taking my DAN test on the 25th of Septembet so not long now :D
    Coincidentally its the day I leave for university and as a result i may have to leave tang soo do :(
    On a plus side I entered a tournament last weekend in Bristol and won three 1st places and the overall male grandchampion trophy, so at least im going out with a bang :D
    Any of you guys/gals ever come down to Wales?:}