[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do Check-in

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Jang Bong, Aug 3, 2004.

1. kyro

kyro New Member

well done dude, maybe we will catch up one day :)

2. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

Doh! Forgot to check in for a while. I got my first degree in TSD a while ago, but it also had some Wun Hop Kuen Do tacked on, and now that is what I study and teach primarily. Still, the TSD kicking roots are strong within me, and I have the deformed toes to show for it :)

3. nathanwc

nathanwc New Member

Hi everyone,
    I've been training in American Tang Soo Do in Chatsworth, California since 1988.

4. monk-ki

monk-ki Monkey..Monk-ki...Get it?

Yay!! New people! Welcome, guys!

5. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Got my Green belt (7th gup) a week ago, and have just got myself a jo. Not very exciting weapon maybe, but my first MA weapon,so im excited. start training with it this week any tips, hints or suggestions??

6. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Sorry - I've been negligent in my visits to this thread :( Big (belated) welcome to Jason and Nathan :)

Well done BROWN on your GREEN ;) Nice to see our gang progressing and enjoying TSD.

Good luck with your Jo (or if you want to stick with the Korean I'm guessing it's a Joon Bong [sp?], a small relative of mine ;)). The best advice is always "hit the other people, rather than yourself" :D

Seriously though - be careful as you start, and get a good feel for the weapon before you try showing off with something fancy and cracking yourself in the head.

7. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Very true, have already wacked meself one, mucking around with it on me own in the backyard!!

8. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Lol, get used to it, i find that happens a lot :D

Well done on your grading, do you get to wear the green trim on your Dobhok now?

As for staff work, start slow and practice lots outside of class and youll be fine.

9. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Thanks Yos, no green trim though, only blackbelts get the couloured (non couloured
    "black") trim. Just a plain white Do Bohk for me.
    Do you have different trims for each different belt level?
    The other half calls my staff the "broom handle" so im pretty keen to learn a few tricks to make it a bit more glamorous than a sweeping tool.

10. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Some orgs have green, brown and red trim for gups which looks pretty cool imho.

I must admit i'd quite like to learn the Jo too. From what ive seen it looks similar to sword teqs.

11. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Wow you guys are still alive? This subforum is dead.

12. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Lol i know, I may start a thread if I can think of anything.

13. Arehmac

Arehmac New Member

Another TSD'er checking in.

14. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Welcome Arehmac

15. Arehmac

Arehmac New Member

Thank you.

Pil Sung!

16. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Hi Arehmac, welcome to the forum. Its always good to have another TSD'er here :D

17. Pinto

Pinto New Member

One more TSD'er actually make that 2. My wife and I both study/train in TSD weekly

18. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Welcome to m.a.p. Pinto
    Good that your other half trains with ya. never get in trouble for spending to much time training then!
    Have you been training long?

19. Pinto

Pinto New Member

Myself about 2.5 years

My wife...........closer 11 years

20. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Hi there Pinto - nice to have you and your good lady on board. :)

The TSD crowd seem to be a fairly quiet but savvy group here on MAP, and you'll enjoy getting to know us all.

Nice to see martial arts being kept in the family - I hope you both enjoy your training (and you've both got 'partners' to try things out on ;)).