[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do Check-in

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Jang Bong, Aug 3, 2004.

1. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Any time your in town Monk

2. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Hahaha...I haven't been to Oz in a while. More like a decade. I'd love to get back there though.

3. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

He's known to be a very cunning linguist.

4. MadMonk108

That's why the ladies love me.

5. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

:D

6. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

Woah. Hey. Tang Soo Do'er here. I was kinda' suprised to see this.

I studied in New York, under a teacher by the name of Jim Wood. Visited the school's site for info on him:

SOKE' JIM WOOD / FOUNDER OF YI-DAN CHA GI KARATE

6th DEGREE BLACK BELT IN TANG SOO DO (Korean style)

5th DEGREE BLACK BELT IN CHUN KUK DO (Universal Way)

Certified Professional Martial Artist

U.S. Martial Arts Hall of Fame 2004 " Master Of The Year".

N.Y State Director of The International Martial Arts Council

Tactical applications Association; NY State Director / Certified

Master Defensive Tactics Instructor for Law-Enforcement and Military

25 Years Experience

Kinda' seemed like he was bragging at first.

I left shortly after gaining my purple belt.

P.S. When you're being taught by a guy taught by Chuck Norris, how can you go wrong. :D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  7. AdamR

AdamR Kwan Soo

Noe to see you here! Do you still train now?

Did I read rightly that he was awarded soke in his own style?

8. MadMonk108

Founder of YI-DAN CHAGI Karate...

Sigh...

9. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

Yes, he was. Nice guy.

I still train on my own, and I'm considering going back. Though I'm going to ask to start back at white belt. Since when you leave and come back, you keep rank. But I don't remember any Katas, so I don't "feel worthy."

10. nikibilly

nikibilly New Member

hello,

Im searching for a very good Tang Soo Do club in north west London.

I have found a few clubs but i dont know which club/organisation? would be best.

One of the clubs that looks good is the TaeKwon Do Academy in Rayners Lane, Harrow.

Can anyone tell me about the United Kingdom Tang Soo (Soo Bahk) Do Federation - Moo Duk Kwan? And if they're supposed to be really good? They hold classes in the Harrow leisure centre. Which is very local.

Could anyone suggest any other clubs that you can recommend in the north-west part of london?

kind regards,
    nikibilly

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  11. AdamR

AdamR Kwan Soo

If you can find an EMTF affiliated one, that would seem to be good. We've just joined them and so far they're ideal.

12. nikibilly

nikibilly New Member

Im very new to martial arts so im not sure what 'EMTF' is, apart from guessing its an organisation that governs its member clubs. how do i know if they are EMTF affiliated, and what exactly do they do.

13. AdamR

AdamR Kwan Soo

ahh yeah, sorry. European Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do Federation. As I say we've just joined and they seem very sound. As for finding out, they should have any affiliation on their websites.

14. nikibilly

nikibilly New Member

I plan to ring the instructor that teaches under [United Kingdom Tang Soo (Soo Bahk) Do Federation - Moo Duk Kwan] I've been to the EMTF website (http://www.emtf.org/) and the club should be affiliated with EMTF because they both share the same emblem and the club is sponsored by Sports England. I went to the lesiure centre but the receptionist didnt know where exactly the room was so i'll need to ring the instructor and find out the details. I'll be interested to find out the class size and what belts the students are currently on, and more importantly whether what she's teaching looks like something i really want to get into.

Appreciate the help Adam thankyou kindly.

Although i found those two clubs im still trying to find more in the area [NW London] so if anyone knows of any then it would be appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  15. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

First Grading

Hi just wanted to tell MAP i just passed my first grading in Tang Soo Tao, now a 9th Gup purple belt. I am heaps happy because never thort id make any belt in karate but have one now... HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. :D

TANG SOO

16. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Yay nice one! may it be the first of many.

17. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Thanx, i hope its one of many to, I know its only the begining and i got a long way to go.
    Got a question I forgot to ask my saboong, and we are on holidays for 3 weeks now, what is the meaning/significance of Purple Belt?

18. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Im really not sure about the significance of the purple belt, most TSD orgs ive heard of have orange/yellow or white with a black tag for 9th gup. I have heard of different belt colours relating to seasons etc but im not that familiar with your org it could well be different.

19. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Well done - it's good to see progress being made. Keep enjoying your training, and have fun learning new skills. :)

You no longer know nothing :D :D ;)

[Our colour sequence is different - maybe purple means you get bruised a lot at this stage :D ]

20. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Thanx Jang, I've noticed that reading through a few other threads, alot of different belt progressions. Nice work with getting the TSD forum up and going, still slowly working my way through all the info in your original thread. (only get small bits of time at work to play at MAP.