[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do Anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by #1 Stutta, Oct 21, 2003.

1. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I've been lookin' around and I haven't found anyone else who trains in Tang Soo Do. Is there anyone here who trains in that style or am I the only one? Just curious, you know.

2. tang_sou_dao

tang_sou_dao YoU cAnT sEe Me!

i train in tang sou dao, from what ive heard they are basically the same thing. A korean martial art like taekwondo but with more hand strikes

3. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

I'm a 1st Dan in Tang Soo Do and have been to South Korea to train, so if there's anything you wanna know about Tang Soo Do I'm your man. It's my favorite style because of its emphasis on logic and simplicity in the execution of its techniques. Glad to know there's some others on here that train in it as well.

4. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

I'm in Chun Kuk Do, basically the same thing but not as traditional as Tang Soo Do.

5. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

Well, that's cool. I'm not the only one then. Hey, Psicop, I'll keep you in mind if need any help in Tang Soo Do. And 1 other thing, I've heard that Tae Kwon Do is the same as Tang Soo Do except that Tang Soo Do is more traditional. Is that true?

6. PsiCop

Tang Soo Do, TKD, Choi Kwan Do, Kuk Sool Won, and Judo were all founded in the late 40s in Korea by a few masters. They originally had the idea of a single "official" Korean style, but their training and methods were quite different. They all broke off into the forementioned styles and although similar, there were still differences among some of them.

Some of the main differences between TSD and TKD are that TSD uses more powerful hand attacks than TKD does. TSD also has a strong emphasis on kicks, similar to TKD's, except for a slight difference. That TSD is also a "logic" style, similar to Jeet Kune Do in the "logic" philosophy. A logic style uses minimum effort to accomplish their goal. Therefore, we won't likely use a flashy jumping 720 kick on the street. TSD also has a bit more emphasis on ground fighting, but not as much as some styles. Basically, TSD emphasizes a little stronger in everything aside from kicks. We're still the steak, only we cut off the outlying fat and put some gravy on it. :cool:

As for being traditional, it all depends on your school and/or federation.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  7. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Tang Soo Do here!

8. Topher

Topher allo!

Me to.

I train under Tiger Gym, which was created by our grandmaster and one of Hwang Kee best students who's nickname at the time was Tiger, hence Tiger Gym. He's comming over to vist some time this year and seems he a joker, once telling my instructor: If normal person can drink 1 bottle of wine, martial artsist can drink 10 bottle of wine. LOL

9. PsiCop

10. Serpico

Serpico New Member

I also study Tang Soo Do, through the WTA. I just started a few months ago, so I can't give you much advice, except, don't get hit. ;)

11. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

Me too, I train in the north of Scotland.

I did hear once that tang sou dao is a more Chinese flavoured version of Tang Soo Do.

12. surgingshark

Tang Soo Do has been known to be translated as "The Way Of The China Hand", so that may be accurate...

13. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I'm a green belt right now. What about ya'll?

14. surgingshark

White ^^;;;

15. Tiong

Tiong New Member

1st Dan 7 years. Should really be second & going for my teaching certificate, but I hid away only to train.

16. Shadow_Lurker

Shadow_Lurker New Member

First off, I study Tang Soo Do. Second... (referring to your qoute there), Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do have similar things between them but it's not the same style. Once you look into it, most of it is completly different. A forum user, Disciple, knows a lot more than I do, send him a message about that if you want to know more.

17. ipscshooter

ipscshooter New Member

If anyone is interested in comparing the katas of Tang Soo Do and ITF and WTF Tae Kwon Do, there are videos on this site:

http://mchenry.homeip.net/TangSooDo/forms/index.htm

The TSD and ITF-TKD katas have a lot in common.

My son recently earned a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and will be joining a Tang Soo Do class (offered in lieu of P.E.) at his middle school next year.

18. Topher

Topher allo!

Just wondering what the belt system is in various TSD clubs.

Ours is as follows:
    White
    Yellow <--ME
    Orange <-- Me in about a month
    Orange w/ Green Tag
    Green
    Blue
    Blue w/ Brown Tag
    Brown
    Senior Brown
    Black
    1st Dan

19. surgingshark

White, Purple, Green, Red, Red + Varying number of stripes (there are three I think, or four), Midnight Blue (1st Dan)

20. Tiong

Tiong New Member

White, white with yellow tag, yellow, yellow with orange tag, orange, orange with green tag, green, green with blue tag, blue, red, 1st Dan, 1st Senior onto 8th.