[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do and physical fitness

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by KICKBOY, Mar 14, 2006.

1. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

I see it at every tournament I go to BIG bellies hanging over black belts. I know that in some cases there are medical issues like diabetes or injuries and that person is doing their best. I have also seen many Masters who at ages above 80 were very flexible and fit.
    So I ask the question how important is fitness to you as MA. How much time per week do you train your body? Do you believe lifting weights helps you? Do you eat 5-6 small meals per day? Do you know how much water to drink and then do it? Do you get 8 hours sleep per night?
    My total training time is 11 hours per week class, practice, lifting, and cardio.
    I eat 5-6 meals per day.
    I drink 9-11 bottles of water per day. (16oz.)
    I get 7 hours sleep most nights. (My big challenge)
    KICKBOY

2. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Of course physical fitness is important. After a prolonged period of illness I found getting through the classes very difficult. My level of fitness was terrible and it was a while before I was up to spec again. IMO if your too out of shape you cant spar or train properly. We encourage students at our school to do extra conditioning outside class, wieghts/running/gymn and stretching also a bit of advice about nutrition etc.

Ive seen a few older guys with big bellies but they are still fit and can keep up with the younger guys. It happens as you age no big deal for the hobby martial artist.

3. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

There is no worse "representative" of the martial arts than the overweight middle-aged "sensei", (sa bo nim, shidoshi, guru, supply whatever title you want...) It's even worse when they strut around in colored uniforms, with huge gaudy belts, looking like a billboard with all the patches on their dobuk and then tell you all about how they can kill a man with the evil eye. Anyone who has been to an open tournament has seen this guy.

Fitness is more important than technique. There's varied opinions on what counts as "fit"; whether distance running or sprint work is more important, or whether weights help or hinder. In the end, it's about balance. Strenght, endurance, flexibiliy, and body composition are all equally important. A physically fit guy with a little training will beat at technically superior, but out of shape fighter every time, at least in real fights.

4. bhamtsd

bhamtsd Valued Member

I teach class 4 days a week, practice with other black belt one day per week and lift on 2 days. I do neglect cardio and sleep (about 5-6 hours avg).

I think physical fitness (strength, stamina, flexibility) are vitally important for a well-rounded martial artist especially at lower ranks. It allows you to learn and perform at your maximum capacity. With that said though...

I would disagree that in a real (non-competition) fight fitness is more important than technique. Real fights can be over in seconds. I once sparred an overweight master and by 15 seconds, I was knocked onto my back. It required no amount of stamina on his part - just experience and technique.

In point sparring, stamina gains in importance but still doesn't surpass technique. In class, I spar junior belts who have youth on their side but they have difficulty getting/avoiding hits with this older guy. After a few minutes, I am more winded than they are so I have to spend more time on "defense" so I can catch my breath. I know I would hang longer if I made the time to overcome my shortcomings noted in paragraph 1.

5. bhamtsd

bhamtsd Valued Member

I do make an immediate assessment about young students who are noticeably overweight or out of shape. It has as much to do with their instructor as them.

It just grills me to see a school that would promote someone to black belt who doesn't meet general physical requirements. In this day and age when everything else BUT that person is to blame and we are all "victims" of some degree, it is inevitable for an instructor/studio owner to let things slide to preserve the students "self-esteem". Blech!

We are supposed to lifting people up to standard but instead we lower the rung. :bang:

6. CJ

CJ Killer of all the B.S.

Then if the teachers are to blame as well.
    What do you think than answer is instead of complaining about it

7. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

Physical fitness is of course a personal responsibility. No matter how much our teachers care and want us to take care of ourselves they can’t exercise, eat or sleep for us. They can set an example.
    I don’t think blame solves many problems but a closer look at the cause may help. We live in abundance in this country, we have so much it is difficult to stay focused on what we need while sorting through so many options.
    I think the answer lies in each of us, in my journey I am avoiding the outside distractions like TV in an attempt to break free from the marketing tactics of rich companies who fatten us up while fattening their profit margins.
    We are also a culture that sees things like belts and uniforms as status. When it comes to belts and uniforms I try to remember “It is more important to be than to appear to be”. KICKBOY

8. Flipper

Flipper Banned Banned

Image removed - Freeform

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2006
  9. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

For me, the question is not:

"How important is fitness to you as a martial artist?"

The question is:

"How important is fitness to you as a person?"

Very.

I don't want to be walking around with my belly sagging down past my belt. I don't want to have a pencil neck or toothpick arms.

Total crap. You are talking out of your ear.

10. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

I'd have to partially disagree. I think fitness, like power, is not as important as basic technique for beginners. But when you advance in skill level with training, things like fitness and power which shouldn't have been a critical issue before are then as much as important as technique.

I have gained 20 pounds since the start of the academic year, and I was sparring on Monday night. After multiple non stop rounds I couldn't even lift my arms or legs to counter a roundhouse that drove its way into my face. So yes there is a certain point at which fitness becomes an important vital issue because all the technique in the world couldn't have gotten me to raise my hand to block it or do a jumping back kick to counter it.

11. thaimaster

thaimaster New Member

I think that you need to be physical fit and also mental but if you lack in any department including physical you wont be a very good martial artist.

12. jut1972

jut1972 New Member

I started martial arts partly to get fit, but now I am doing it it is not the be all and end all.

On the fitness vs techniques debate, it seems to me fitness only comes into it if you are both on the same level. When I spar with my instructor I have to try 10 times harder than him because he is so much more experienced and has a greater range of techniques. His greater range of techniques defeat any potential fitness advantage.

When I fight someone on my level the fights take longer so the last man left standing gets the final punch in.

...and its the last punch that counts :p