[Tang Soo Do] Taking a long break from TSD

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Cuchulain4, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I have decided that TSD isnt offering me as much as the arts i am cross training in, and due to time contstraints im going to have to put one art on hold. TSD has given me a nice base and i am deeply grateful to the seniors who have given me so much instruction and attention and i would like to eventually return and earn my BB.

I am not sure how to tell my instructor. No one at the club knows im even cross training.

I definately cant tell the GM that im leaving to study other arts as he frowns upon crosstraining. But i dont want to lose my rank by just not turning up.

2. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

You can either slink away and disappear or you can be up-front and tell him. You'd probably feel better about yourself if you did the latter and your instructor would probably respect you for being open too (unless he's a nutter!).

3. AdamR

AdamR Kwan Soo

You'd have been a lot better off letting him know from the start. You already know that though ;)

Out of interest, what is it the other arts are offering you that TSD isn't?

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Just tell him you've decided to take a break from your training as you've not got enough spare time any more. You've thoroughly enjoyed training with him and would love to return as soon as you've got the time.

I can't see anyone being offended by that.

5. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Nah i think it would have affected my position in terms of when i grade TBH.

Kyokushin gives me great full contact sparring, cardio, and self defence. Taiji is very relaxing has beautiful, challenging forms and some really nice applications. They are also both very personal and small classes. At TSD it feels like im just a number in a big organisation and if i turn up enough then i will grade regardless of ability. The other classes grading is either nonexistant or completly irrelevant.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I have no axe to grind against TSD and don't know your Instructor/GrandMaster but if this is true then you are much better off out of that set up.

It is simply a nonsense for an organisation to imply that your standing or grading could be affected because you cross train. It smacks of fear and insecurity, both of which are qualities to be actively avoide in MA training.

Again I mean no slur on TSD.

Mitch

7. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Well i dont know for sure. But i have been warned by BB's to not tell the grandmaster i do other styles. Also we had a Karate guy come to class once and fortunately the GM wasnt there, but the karate-ka was warned not to tell the GM that he was still taking Karate and had changed to TSD.

8. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Just follow the Way bro. I am confident that you will end up where you are supposed to be. I've been impressed with your growth over the past few months. Keep moving forward.

And remember, by doing Kyokushin, you're not quiting Dangsudo.

After all, Dangsudo is just Korean karate, and Kyokushin is just Karate founded by a Korean.

9. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Insanity. But then again, the Fed has some regulations I don't like too.

10. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Sounds like your doing the right thing Sean. If you do go back to TSD maybe try a different org. Best of luck.

11. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

I used to do TSD under the same organisation as the OP. When I mentioned that I was considering cross-training in some form of Ju-jitsu their reaction was that it would intefere with my TSD as Ju-jitsu was too similar :confused: As it happens I left TSD soon after but I was under the impression that they wouldn't have been happy at me cross-training had I stayed.

12. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Yeah thats it exactly.

13. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

My sifu crosstrains ... he's doing shorinji kempo now and hes done some jkd, shotokan, and a bit of savate. but he believes that you shouldnt crosstrain if you dont have at least a couple years of experience in your "main" style...

14. stephentsd

stephentsd New Member

problem you have seanyseanybean is that GM Lee is ur instructor and he dont teach its the seniors and masters like andy lee, julia meakins, master girffiths etc, go to master carders class! find out where his classes are i no there sumwhere near watford.

15. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

yeah. true. i doubt GM lee even knows who i am.

16. stephentsd

stephentsd New Member

probrably dont and if u stopped training he wouldnt notice