[Tang Soo Do] Sparring, anyone else think SBD, MDK needs a change

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by JunFan38463, Mar 31, 2005.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Briton, i base it upon personal experiance and human behavior.
    Jang Bong, its because a select few KNEW that we NEEDED that to survive and its thrived as a result.

2. BRITON

BRITON Valued Member

sparring

The golden rule if you are going to increase contact in class is to follow the guidelines of sport combat.
    In sport you have novice, amatuer, semi-pro and pro fighters.
    Each section has combat guidelines for safety to meet the criteria of sports commissions and the medical profession so as to enable its continuance.
    Get hold of and follow these guidelines in your schools, and you can step up the contact as your students become familiar with each category through their own combat experience. It is a responsible way of ensuring the well being of students and retaining students. No one should get into serious contact unprepared.
    Age can be very important when contact is introduced. Areas of contact may have to be protected or ruled out when dealing with children.
    The frontal lobe is not fully developed in the brain until around the age of 19 approx: and bones have not fully stopped being tissue in women until around 24 approx: These areas are particularly vulnerable in development if not protected from blows or breaks when sparring. Full development as an adult can be hindered for the sake of ego as to who is harder or tougher, the real test is who can still hold their own [no rude comments please] in their twighlight years and not be too infirmed or mentally deranged to defend themselves from lifes` stresses.
    Full contact is believe it or not enjoyable when you approach it professionally, the blood and pain get wiped away and win or lose you find out something about yourself, that`s not to say you need to do this to discover yourself.
    Battlefield Martial Arts is tough and needs to be, Artistic Martial Arts is just as disciplined and tough in a different way, both help you discover aspects of yourself and others. In my experience for what its worth, the world of Martial Artists is a good world, full of worthy human beings, some I gravitate to more than others but none the less I am glad to be in this fraternity.