[Tang Soo Do] Sparring, anyone else think SBD, MDK needs a change

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by JunFan38463, Mar 31, 2005.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

WOW. TOO MUCH. good timing with the fire blanket JKD.

i believe there is nothing so horrible in the world that you can't laugh at some what, but the twin towers is the one thing i would exclude from that catagory. when americans get killed by racist religious extremists, that is by no means funny!!!!!!!!!!!
    there is a differance between what i said and the context i meant it and REAL LIFE!!!!!! let me clarify there are certain things that are HILLARIOUS on say, stand up comedy or TV, but are horrific in real life. make the seperation man. the twin towers was a tragedy and shows just how horrible racisim and religion can be.

2. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

I partially agree, tekkengod. I don't think anything where people are killed mercilessly is funny. However, it's my experience that Americans will be very sentimental about 9/11, but if it involves one of our "enemies" being killed it is often joked about. I've heard more than a few sick jokes about Muslims being killed. Granted, not all Americans are this way, but a few can give a culture or country a bad name.

Being a pacifist, I don't think any killing is funny or should be joked about. I don't feel there's any difference because of nationality or religion. All humans are essentially the same, and should be loved as much as any of our brothers. Sure, there's horrible people that will do terrible things, but I'm talking about just regular humans.

I didn't suggest that any of you fit into the aforementioned category, but I still feel it's wrong to joke or even feel indifference about death.

3. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

A very good point but it works both ways, i remember seeing footage of people celebrating in the streets after 9/11, although i cant remember which country it was in, some third world middle eastern country probably.

Its always been that case in conflicts. I have no doubt that anti-american countries have a lot of jokes about 9/11 and suchlike. I guess its a case of 'its funny unless it happens to you (or your country)'. Its not just something that Americans do, everyone does it.

4. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i agree with that to an extent. I am no pacifist, and i am most definately an agressive person, in every aspect. But am also a patriot, it is true that jokes in referance to killing enemies are not so much frowned upon, but that is true of any culture, not just americans, also, the only reason the 9/11 events, i feel, are not "funny" yet, is because its still too soon. look at the holocaust, WW1. WW2, sometimes even rowanda. those things are often joked about on an open, day to day basis, because even though they are horrific events in history, they still have comic potential, and enough time has passed that society accepts it and moves on. as i said earlier. i don't think there is anything so horrible in this world that you can't laugh at, but in some cases, its a matter of time. I love to laugh, comedy is so releaving and enjoyable, in 10-15 years, some great comedians will derive great material from this event and it will be joked about openly.

are any of you familiar with the show "Robot Chicken" ? it plays on cartoon network on sunday and thursday, 11 PM and 2 AM. that is a good example of the sense of humor i have, and an example of what i said earlier, why some things are only humorus on TV.

5. BRITON

BRITON Valued Member

Remember.... everything you say and everything you think affects relationships with others. Right thinking and Right action are the mainstay to harmony, when I say "Right" I mean what is good for the higher self, take no pleasure from the mishaps of others it shows a sign of seperatism, if one is hurt all are hurt should be our cry. My post reply was to trigger this emotion, I must have succeeded? Perhaps we as Martial Artists can lead others to Right action? And maybe Right thinking?

6. PsiCop

Good post, BRITON. I can sense great wisdom and peace in your words.

7. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I think maybe you dove a little too deeply into that one, but i suppose you are correct, but that dosen't change my sense of humor, nor what i deem acceptable for being presented.

8. BRITON

BRITON Valued Member

I notice on your profile you have left out the your year of birth? from the content of your posts I am led to the assumption that some of us may have a good few years on you and perhaps have seen more of life and in our twighlight years forget the vigour and singlemindedness of youth, but it is our duty as elders to show the way of peace and harmony to our younger members of society. Try not to frown on our messages but wonder how we got to this understanding.

9. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

You seem to have started an argument with Yoda there Tekkengod.

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i did leave that bit out didn't I?

I'm 16. 17 in August. lets not start the ageisim argument or Shotokan will show up and kill us all. its not a matter of how you reached these pinnicales of understanding, its that you have them. its not a matter of age, its a matter of the fact that everyone views the world diffrently. thats just the way people work.
    Peace and Harmony was never exactly my bag of marbles. We gave peace a chance, war seems to be working rather well, {j/k} I don't believe in harmony.
    humans are chaotic by nature, agressive by nature, self serving by nature. no such thing as harmony.

11. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

apparently so. but i'm just gonna roll with this, it could prove interesting.

12. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

It's all too much.

Thank you so much. I try my hardest to be a wise and mature young person, and this is what I get - 'Youth are single-minded, take everything they say with a pinch of salt.'

Why the HECK do I bother.

*SW ripping out her viscera all over the keyboard*

13. Topher

Topher allo!

I have to say I cant imagine a film Hollywood about 9/11 filled with visual effects and stunt men falling from buildings, but then I doubt survivors of the Titanic would imagine it happening to there tragedy. I guess time heals wounds.

14. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I knew you'd find this one shotokan, i told him so. and he is wrong, very wrong, but what do we know right.....

I agree homer.

15. PsiCop

I don't think so. If you've ever experienced harmony, then you would agree that it does exist. You tend to be focusing on the worst qualities of humans. However, you left out all of the good qualities, such as compassion, understanding, loving, and caring.

Some humans are very self-loathing, as you say. Not all are. Some humans are naturally good. You cannot deny this fact.

16. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

I know im not

Thats the thing about humans, our nature is quite variable. We vary from being really nice to complete and utter "insert swear".

17. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

90% of them are.

18. BRITON

BRITON Valued Member

Have you met 90% of the worlds population or are you basing this on personal experiences?

19. BRITON

BRITON Valued Member

sparring

The posts of late have started to detract from the original thread and are heading into the realms of philosophy and phsycology, it went off the track slightly after post 67 [something about an Avattar?] perhaps we should put to bed this aside and continue with sparring etc? :confused:

20. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I highlighted two parts of your text, as I can see them as contradictory even if you can't.

To my mind being mature, and being civilized (no hint of AGE in there SW ;) now clean your keyboard up :D) revolve around the ability to see the world from someone elses point of view and accept the possibility that that view may be better than your own.

If humans were chaotic by nature, then why have they tried so hard over the centuries to impose order and control? There are many creatures bigger and stronger with sharper teeth - but the understanding and the teamwork of 'mankind' has allowed it to survive. (this far at least...)