[Tang Soo Do] Sparring, anyone else think SBD, MDK needs a change

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by JunFan38463, Mar 31, 2005.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Of course.

I said ocasional, not daily. :D

sorbet? :confused:

2. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

Yeah, I aggree that contact should be allowed in SBD MDK, but if you're a beginning white belt and all you're doing is getting the crap kicked out of you, would you want to go back the next day? In my opinion, light contact should be allowed at 3'rd Gup (solid red belt) and as you progress into dans, contact becomes more heavy.

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

thats a bad idea, wheres the incentive to get to red belt if you aren't getting in any hard sparring in the meantime? BORING! come to mind.

4. NX01

NX01 Valued Member

The way we do things, is that senior belts "tone it down" when sparring junior belts. If you repeatedly make stupid mistakes, they'll hit you just hard enough to make you regret that mistake (and hopefully learn not to do it again), but you're not allowed to just beat on juniors, and especially white belts.
    With my students, colored belts are pretty much fair game for each other at green belt. I only allow head contact though when both people are of similar size and belt level.
    I can't speak for every instructor out there, but none that I've ever met allowed the general class populous to abuse white belts.

5. Topher

Topher allo!

If you never actually get hit, then you wont learn correct the mistakes you make. Light contact aint gonna make me stop anything. I dont mean go ape s**** on the other guy, but let them know about his mistakes with some force. Might be good to give the students the options to decide the force allowed. If they both want to go harder, let them, if they dont, they dont have to. Sounds good.

I like, and sometimes prefer to spar against higher belts. There usually harder, but it's more controlled.

6. moo_do_jo_kyo

moo_do_jo_kyo New Member

I don't think junior members need to learn to stop due to getting hit. They should learn how to move freely between defense and attack if anything. I'd rather show a student how to move out of the way and have time to decide on the best counter at the junior level. Besides, sparring continuously with proper breath control is good for increasing your endurance.

7. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i think if the newer guys get beaten around a little bit. it will wake them up to the flow of things. they need to establish a common ground. they NEED to know how to take a blow, they NEED to be choked out and submitted a few times, everyone does, but not to the point that it turns them away from showing up. and homer, please for the love of god, chage your avatar.

8. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

I agree. Point sparring is a game and a tool, but it is not the end of it all. I think the longer you wait to expose students to at least a medium contact scenario, the more they become familiar with non contact distancing and timing and the more difficult it is to remove the fear of getting hit.

It is easy to go out there and spar if you know you are not going to get hit. It is easy to keep your eyes open the whole time and be confident in your techniques. The danger of getting hit causes the sympathetic nervous system to completely mess with your sparring. Newbies to contact find their techniques, even if they are really good, needing some more work because of distance and timing issues as well as recompensating the body for balance when they are getting hit or even hitting someone (ie being too far from hitting someone b/c of non contact rules, how to adjust balance when you stuff someone with a sidekick, power control issues, etc etc.). Some can argue that the heavy bag or shield kicking drills will help, which it does, but it doesn't fully recreate the same environment with a live opponent.

Needless to say, I'm not advocating beating the crap out of juniors. No way. But some contact - even a little - is much much better than nothing. I think conditioning drills would help soften the fear/dislike of getting hit - like hitting forearms, light hits to develop abdomen, conditioning kicking to obliques and high rib area, etc.

9. Topher

Topher allo!

What's wrong with it :D

"I want that one" ;)

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

that girl is horrible, why would you do that to us?

11. Topher

Topher allo!

12. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

Homer

Dont listen to him, best avatar ever! :)

Tekken

If you like British comedy check out LB its hilarious especially the character in homers avatar.

13. Topher

Topher allo!

Yeah i know :p :D

14. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

british people have a very warrped and strange sense of humor.

when a hospital catches fire and you get to see some people on the top floor with 2 broken legs jump off the building anyway and land on top of some spectators along with some burning debris, now THAT would be hillarious.

15. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

tekkengod has a very warrped and strange sense of humor. :bang:

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i'm american, what can i say. violence is funny. :D

17. tsdtony

tsdtony New Member

????

the avitar is great.

But i fell light contct only teaches bad habbits.How will thay become a better artest if there not afrread of a punch.What will end up hapening is there gunna end up running into a punch definding there selfs in a fight.There gunna think its not gunna hurt because thats what there used to and there gunna end up getting hurt.Its gunna be programed in there mind hay it dont hurt in class and this is what i trane for.But it does hurt.

In my studio we trane all belts and ages the same continuis contact. of coars we dont pound the kids and the wimion with everything we have but we defintly dont use light contact.Because of this we have some of the finest young martial artist i have ever seen.Also we dont have many but the wimion we have are also great martial artis.

18. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

No - sorry Anthony but I can make the mental leap between what we do in a training session, and what might happen if someone is out to hurt me. There is no way I'm going to intercept a fist with anything vital (like my face) in the expectation of the punch being pulled.

As I've said elsewhere - the people who train using hyungs/katas also tend to be the people who train to break objects. I see no theoretical problem in changing your mindset between training and fighting for your life. I also hope never to need to prove the theory.

Phrases like:
    do little to encourage peaceful guys like me that do not want to fight. I never took anything like this up as a kid, as this is the 'atmosphere' I thought would be around. Now as an adult, I find I'm much more sure of myself and confident to go into new situations, and I'm continually gaining more through my study of TSD. :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  19. BRITON

BRITON Valued Member

JUST LIKE THE TWIN TOWERS EH!!!
    ONE MANS MEDICINE IS ANOTHER MANS POISON....

20. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

*Passes BRITON a fire blanket*